“Accomodating owners”
Review of Sierra Sky Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cromberg
Sierra Sky Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cromberg
Reviewed 13 May 2014

After a long drive, we arrived at the lodge to be greeted by wendy, the owner, and one of her little ones. They could not have been nicer, and gave us the keys to a rustic, but very clean and comfortable cabin. In the morning, we wAnted to get an early start to lassen volcanic park, and although it was before the scheduled breakfast, wendy opened the dining area so we could get coffee,juice and pastries. Service and accomodations to their guests makes this a memorable stop
for us.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maggy T

Reviewed 27 August 2013

What can I say...our family loved our stay at the quaint Sierra Sky Lodge. We booked the cabin which happens to be the end of the motel building built out larger to create a living space with kitchen. The entire structure is period constructed solid cedar planks or blocks...hefty like 2.5" x 5" stacked & stained with more cedar planking to finish it off. I loved the vaulted ceiling and found myself staring at the interesting patterns of construction. Really intricate and fun to look at. Wonderful cedar scent as well. Not to mention this cabin really is well insulated with natural materials. Hot outside, nice and cool inside plus it muffled the hwy noise. Ok moving on...the beds were great, firm but comfortable. No lumps. I think ours was a king. My 12 year old had the tiny "closet" room with the single and she claimed it was the most comfortable bed she eve slept on". I think she just liked her cozy nook. The kitchen is completely stocked with everything you need to prepare meals if you choose to cook on you vacation. We did not. Unlike rental cabins, the kitchen items were not used or mismatched. It was all nice, matching, quality gear. The fridge was older but in near new shape and spotless (ok, the whole place was spotless). Nice gas stove, wave, blah blah blah. There is satellite service/ on a smaller TV set (seriously, pry the kids away from the TV) if you must but better yet is a nice large fireplace and wood burning stove. I would love to sit in the living room when it was snowing...for us it was around 90 out. So then lets talk about the pool. Nice heated pool with many lounge chairs or lay down deals to nap on surrounding it. Fresh pool towels are provided along with some hoppin tunes piped in to the pool area. It was nice to have a real pool with a 7' deep end. Again, all very tidy and clean. Lets talk about Wendy, the owner and breakfast. If you have ever stayed at a bed and breakfast then you will appreciate the wonderful food provided by Wendy. Everything is had prepared, fresh and cooked each day. This buffet style meal is served in a separate building with toys for the younger kids and quaint tables, benches and chairs for the guests to dine at. When we checked in Wendy asked if we had any diet needs and I typically just avoid dairy and pick and choose my food but in this case I was like what the heck, she asked so I revealed my lactose intolerance. Wendy cooked me my own egg casserole and served it up restaurant style and the time of my choosing. Seriously? Is this a motel or? It was unexpected, delicious and I completely appreciate someone who truly cares about their guest and shows great enthusiasm concerning everything to do with their family business. There was homemade: bread, jam, egg casserole, waffles, fruit salad, steel cut oatmeal (I like oatmeal), fresh ground coffee, juice and all the fixins plus I'm sure I'm forgetting something. All this is included with your room rate. Which is a bargain of bargains BTW. We enjoyed the BBQ restaurant within walking distance, Graeagle down the road, Plumas Eureka State Park, the Iron Door (nice swank little restaurant in Johnsville) and paddling up in the Gold Lakes Basin. Thank you Wendy, we will be back!

Room Tip: We didn't look at the available rooms vs. our cabin but it is all the same building and or const...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Desertguy426
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We stayed here 2 nights to spend time in Lakes Basin area, without being in the upscale golfing community. We enjoyed room 8 which has a sofa and full kitchen + private patio with barbeque (which we didn't use because the restaurant next door was so delicious we ate there both nights), It was so relaxing to sit out in the woods behind the motel on our patio and even see one amazing sunset, Wendy was so nice and helpful, even lending us a book completely on Lakes Basin which really helped us to be sure to see most of the 20 lakes. We were so happy we stayed here rather than in Quincy or Greaegle. This was just perfect in every way except for the road noise from trucks in the early AM which probably is just a Fall logging season thing. I will definitely go back...due to Wendy and the most comfortable hotel bed ever and to the beautiful Lakes Basin area.

Room Tip: Room 8 is at the end of the building and has a full kitchen and futon to sit on...quite roomy and ni...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravellingJan
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We flew in from the East Coast for our niece's wedding at the Twenty Mile House. What a delight it was to stay at the Sierra Sky. With the blue sky, pine trees and natural setting including a campfire site (we should have brought ingredients for s'mores). At night, we opened the window for fresh air and had the best sleep ever. The log cabin atmosphere is vintage and quaint and the full kitchen was amazing (e.g. refrigerator, gas stove and oven, microwave, coffee maker). But, you certainly didn't need it for breakfast because Wendy is an amazing cook. I've stayed at other bed and breakfastes (e.g. Cape May, NJ and Taos, N. Mexico) but the breakfast at Cromberg deserves an award: hardy, healthy and DELICIOUS! The entire atmosphere is simple but when we left (after two days), we felt renewed. And, we would definitely return. Although we are "city mice", there was something magical and healing about the setting. Maybe because of the memories it brought me of my grandparents and childhood. Thanks to the wonderful Yates family! Wee Sullivans

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Spanishshamrocks
Reviewed 17 June 2010

People don't come any nicer than Wayne and Wendy Yates and their 4 girls are absolute jewels! My husband and I took our visiting city friend to "camp out" for a few days and we had such a great time we went back the next week!! Spacious cabin 1, the brand new comfortable, fun Delicious!!breakfast room, outdoor fun everywhere, the Tiki pool, happy dogs, watchful cats, laughing children and all of beautiful Plumas County to explore and enjoy. For that rustic cabin feel with all the pleasurable camping ambiance, but without camping headaches, and lots of enjoyable memories you can't go wrong checking out Sierra Sky Lodge.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank beachgirlRenoNV
Reviewed 2 October 2009

When you drive by the Sierra Sky Lodge, you may not be too impressed by the outside- it's not so much a lodge as it is a motel. But take a moment to meet owners Wendy and Wayne Yates, their kids, and their dog Sierra. Then spend a night in one of the rooms.

Wendy and Wayne are outstanding hosts, and just plain good people. They make you feel like family, even if it's your first time coming. Cordial and friendly, we always enjoy their company.

The cedar rooms are great- warm, cozy and clean. Though you wouldn't think it from the outside, when you are staying in one it feels like you're in a remote cabin up in the mountains.

Three of the rooms have full kitchens (and one of them is quite big), and the last two rooms on the row have a door between the two, so you can open up to expand.

My family has been up 5 or 6 times, all in the winter, and I can't think of a nicer place to go for a snowy vacation away from home. The winter scenery of Graeagle is awe inspiring, straight out of Norman Rockwell- and the Santa Train in Portola is a lot of fun. Additionally, nearby Blairsden has one great Italian restaurant (Gumba's), with the friendliest folks.

Love coming here.

Just a great, great place

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank AwwPhooey
Reviewed 3 August 2009

We had a wonderful time staying at the Sierra Sky Lodge. We truley enjoyed the pool, the horseshoes and the great home cooked complimenteray breakfasts. The rooms were clean and comfy and the family who ran and operated the facility were friendly and seemed to go the extra mile to make your stay more enjoyable. Very dog friendly....We will stay again in the future!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Been to Sierra Sky Lodge? Share your experiences!