“Peaceful and Cozy” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Camp Layman

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cromberg
Camp Layman
California
“Peaceful and Cozy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2009

My mother, sister and I took a mother/daugher/grandchildren trip last summer. My mother grew up coming to the area to her grandparents cabin. (My fathers parents had a cabin in the area also.) So the area is VERY special to our family. The family cabins have long been sold and large monster houses built in their places. But we wanted to contine getting our fill each summer of the amazing pine air, blue, blue skies, and clean air. My sister and I are so determined to make the area as special in the hearts of our children as it was and is to us.
So last summer we began to plan a trip. But where to stay?? We wanted a cabin, and after much searching we decided on Layman Resort. We were so glad we did! The owners were so kind and friendly! They welcomed us warmly. ((WE STAYED HERE AFTER READING THE HORRIBLE REVIEW ON THIS SITE. I SIMPLY CHOSE TO MAKE UP MY OWN MIND.)) We enjoyed the peace and quiet, and nightly campfire, and the time to detox from the fast paced real world! (No cell service here!) The owner was so nice and offered for us to use the office phone anytime. I took him up on it once or twice to call my hubby who was unable to join us.
Our two oldest kids ages 8 and 4 thououghly enjoyed the play area, skipping rocks at the rivers edge, and exploring all over the camp. BRING your kids here by all means! Detox them from their video games, and TV!!!! They will be using their imaginations from the time they step out the car door! Trust me... :)

Overall, I want to say that these cabins are very old and very rustic. But they are clean, and the place is loved by many...despite it's little imperfections.
If you are planning to be in **our** lovely mountians this summer, please consider staying here!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank jereca74

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sacramento
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2008

If you're expecting to be pampered and stay at the Ritz, this IS NOT your place. If however, you want something with rustic charm, and very basic amenties this is your place. There are 10 cabins and the feel is that of an older cabin with its own charm. The floors have settled a bit, the kitchen and bathroom are small and quaint like something you'd expect in an isolated cabin in the woods that was built in a year gone by. But as I said that's a big part of the charm.

The setting is absolutely beautiful with close access to the towns of Blairsden and Graeagle.

The owners are extremely friendly, nice and helpful. Other guests were very friendly and many had been returning for years.

Rustic, yes! Great memories yes! Our teenagers were not impressed, but my wife and I will definately return for a getaway.

Stayed July 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2008

I've been going there for 36 years, and it remains our favorite family vacation spot. I call it "lazy man's camping", as you are alongside the Feather River in the Plumas National Forest, but the rustic cabins come equiped with hot/cold running water, bathroom/shower, beds, towels/linens, refrigerator, stove, cooking utensils/plates. Fishing is great; just a 100 yard walk below the cabins, or you can venture 1/4 mile downstream to the 'swimming hole'; other great fishing opportunities at nearby Jamison Creek also. Endless hiking opportunities. Many lakes nearby; many accomidate swimming; others have boat rentals; small pond nearby has small raft/paddle-boat rentals. This place is for the outdoorsman of all ages who enjoys nature.

• Liked — Fresh air and naturally beautiful environment
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank JeffryO
Orland CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2007

I have been going here since I was a baby, sure its rustic but you would be too if you were over 100 years old. This place is a quiet place to stay with the train tracks about 300 yards away. the trains aren't a real bother either you can take several trails to the river some are a little challenging for the little ones but im sure you could manage. If you are a YUPPIE or a high roller this is not the place for you, but if you like a nice quiet and friendly place to stay this is the one!!!

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ovfd94
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2007

This place hasn't had any up keep since the 1970's.
The roofs leak. They have an illegal dump on the property.
Forget this place.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2007

we have been going to Layman for the better part of 10 years and continue to love it. Yes its rustic, but that is its charm! the owners are very nice and if we have ever had a problem, they have always resolved it with kindness and smiles. I have stayed in 5 of the 10+ cabins and all have been okay. Its a great place for the kids to be able to "camp" and still have a shower, bed and a home cooked meal. It is a bit of a challenge to get to the river with small children, but we always seem to make it work. I have taken my babies there- from the time they were 1.5 to 8. We always take sleeping bags as the nights can get a little chilly, and feels more like camping. The walk to the bridge is fun, and the nighttime skies are to die for! Its small enough so that the kids can go play and we don't have to worry about anyone getting lost in the woods. Its nice to not have a phone or computer either- no cell service! But, who cares, week without it is vacation to me! There are so many things to do in the surrounding area- lakes, river, charming towns, trains- all to be finished off with a campfire at the end of the evening. The owners even host a BBQ and boat race in the river where all campers can participate in racing their home made boat- complete with raw egg that must not break!
we love it there and will continue to make it a summer tradition.

• Liked — rustic charm for a great price
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank suzemc
CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2007

Camp Layman Resort was exactly what we wanted. Needed some quiet, peaceful, away from the phones kind of place. My daughter of 11yoa loved their rustic but cute little cabins in the woods along the Feather River. We BBQ'd and fixed our own meals in a small but complete kitchen. Seems each cabin has a theme, ours was decorated with roosters and named Annie's roost. The owners were very helpful if we needed anything, and provided us the makings for smore's by the campfire. We went out fishing on the river...planned for only one day, stayed an extra day we had so much fun!

• Liked — Quaint, peaceful, hiking, fishing
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank Raven51
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cromberg
Chalet View Lodge
Chalet View Lodge
#1 of 4 in Graeagle
Nakoma Resort
Nakoma Resort
#1 of 2 in Clio

Been to Camp Layman? Share your experiences!