“Lots of character(s)”
Review of Tom's Place Resort

Tom's Place Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crowley Lake
Tom's Place Resort
Reviewed 15 May 2013

My reservation was made by a friend, so I had no idea what to expect. The Ritz Carlton, this is not. It IS rustic, but my little cabin had been renovated in this century, and had VERY hot water, clean linens, and full kitchen. As long as I could sleep, shower, and make coffee in the morning I was happy. I spent ten nights in Cabin "0".

One of my traveling companions had a room in the lodge, which she referred to as "Animal House." She had difficulty sleeping on account of the thin walls, and other guests partying all night. During the week was not so bad, but the weekends were tough for getting any sleep.

The second of my companions was assigned a tiny, very "rustic" cabin that had not been renovated since the place was built. The management told her that they'd had guests who refused to stay in it. This gal lives in Alaska and trains sled dogs, so it's my guess that she's stayed in "less luxurious" digs in the past. If nothing else, she gets extra points for sportsmanship.

The staff was pleasant and helpful, the store had some nice surprises (like a nice wine selection), the bar was always busy, and the food in the cafe was plentiful and very reasonably priced.

Tom's must have changed ownership since the bad reviews in 2011. I would stay there again, bu only if I could request my previous little cabin.

Room Tip: Request a cabin if you plan on sleeping.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank nancyrcurtis

Reviewed 29 August 2012

We live in San Diego and Tom’s place is our tradition for lunch as we begin our trek home from Hot Creek. Great burgers, chili and about anything you want from a diner/dive. Fun atmosphere and a step back to better days.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I have been coming here since I was a young boy. Great restaurant ( excellent meals )
Biscuits & gravy, country fried steak, hot cakes. Etc. Can not compare to others. There is a reason why all locals eat here daily. The bar is small but very cool. Fun at night if u stay there or local camping.
Small store w everything u might need or forgot at home.
Cabins and dorm rooms are Great options for more rustic fishing and ski trips. It's not the fancy resort, It's a history rich place. Great location for everything. No pool or hot tub here,but locals might tell u where u can find the natural hot springs and pools are.

Owners & staff are awesome .

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Tom's Place restaurant is a setting like an old log cabin, facing the front, right hand side is a grocery store, then a bar for coctails and then a restaurant. I have never stayed in the cabins though I have heard there is a history of generations returning to this rustic setting. The restaurant is American Cuisine with some Hispanic meals offered. Reasonable, family oriented and if not to hungry share a meal with a traveling companion.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Five of us went to the Bishop area to go on a "boys" fishing trip. We needed a place to stay that was clean, had electricity and was reasonable. We stayed in a cabin that sleeps 7. It was perfect for our needs. There were 6 beds, a full kitchen, with a bathroom and shower. Not fancy, but in a central location to fish at a number of different lakes. Better than camping in a tent! Very reasonable price for the cabin - we paid $125 for 5 people. The store on site has a good variety of things - we picked up everything from fishing lures to mementos to groceries. The staff at Tom's Place was friendly and accommodating. There are also hotel rooms available. This is not a "resort" of the "luxury resort" variety - but an old fashioned mountain resort.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank CAorange
Reviewed 29 October 2011

We went up there on a fishing trip, so we decided to stay at Toms instead of in Mammoth, what a nightmare the room was filthy it looked like the last time it was cleaned Reagan was President, the heater didn't work, the tv remote was broken, we tried eating at the cafe, let's not call it a resurant it isn't. The menu was bland and boring like a rest home for the elderly, I got prime rib, my God it was the fattiest awful piece of meat I have every tried to eat, while we were "eating" this obnoxious dirty blonde haired woman with a red face sat down and tried to converse with us, I told her as she sounded drunk "please leave us alone as we are eating" she then got obnoxious with us, telling us "it's my place, and if you don't like it....."
We later found out she was the owner, someone needs to tell her that bothering paying customers is not good customer service !
The waitress was good Chrissy I think was her name, the breakfast waitresses were both sour and miserable, one left mine under the heater while she talked to her friend for 10 minutes, I eventually got up and grabbed it, and she got in my face about it !
The only redeming factor other than Chrissy, was JoJo the bartender who is fun and pours a good drink, while we are on the bar, they only have one channel (is this the 21st century ? Not at Toms Place) and it was a Saturday night one fat guy at the bar was shouting about watching NASCAR trucks, others wanted to watch college football, then an old miserable looking guy with a red face grabbed the remote and put the little league World Series on. Now come on this is beyond ridiulous one channel jeez it's 2011 not 1971 ! finally an Australian sounding guy said to the old guy "hey a majority want to watch football, you've been watching baseball for months", he took the remote and put the USC game on, thankfully, we bought him a beer as we really wanted to see it, as did the majority at the bar.
My advice is avoid this place it's a dump run by a woman who is rude and obnoxious, oh and speaking of rude the woman who works in the store was extremely rude to my Mexican friends and the old guy in the afternoons well get rid of him he is worse.
Anyway avoid like the plague, why the owner doesn't hire a manager, a cleaner and some friendly staff is beyond me, we did talk to a few locals who told us she has about driven all the locals away by her rudeness and something about killing a bear ? Not sure what they meant, anyway do yourselves a favor stay in Mammoth, this place and the owner is clueless, oh and the tvs in the bar are tiny and unless you get fairly close unwatchable, we couldn't even see the ticker on the bottom with the other scores !

Room Tip: don't bother there are no good rooms !
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
12  Thank RaiderRobert
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Well, we hadn't read the reviews before we arrived - but the experience was one we'll talk about for some time, and at least was memorable! First things first - the cafe was excellent - friendly, busy warm, plenty of food for dinner and breakfast, reasonable priced, fast and efficient service. The rooms however were (as others have described) very small and pretty damp, cold and unloved. The owner was pleasant (certainly not rude as others have described) and did make sure we had a working heater (which we definitely needed - it was only 8 degrees out there so it blasted hot air very loudly through the night). The shower worked fine - lovely hot water - albeit very basic and clearly needed a bit of love and attention. It was a real shame the big log fire wasn't lit in the entrance hall - that would have made a huge difference to the ambience. Outside, we had a clear crisp night, so we did a bit of star gazing in the stunning night sky - and then went to bed early (no choice but to cuddle up!!) All in all, quite an experience, and in a way, it's kind of good to know that not all hotels in the USA are plastic and standardised!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jennifermkay

Been to Tom's Place Resort? Share your experiences!