“BEST DIVE SHOP IN LA - HANDS DOWN!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eco Dive Center

Eco Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Our Scuba school in West Los Angeles offers all levels of diver education courses from beginner to instructor development.We offer weekly scuba diving charters at various spots around Southern California including the Channel Islands. Our dive club has monthly speakers from around the scuba industry.
Los Angeles, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“BEST DIVE SHOP IN LA - HANDS DOWN!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2011

I started diving with Ron and Beth (owners of Eco) seven years ago, when they were at another scuba shop, and when they started Eco Dive Center, I happily left that shop and switched over to Eco, as they were the reason I was continuing to dive in the first place. Ron and Beth have nurtured the most fun, educational and constantly evolving group of instructors, scuba divers and fans I have had the pleasure of meeting. I have thoroughly enjoyed every local and tropical boat trip and dive they have organized and through them have met some of the best people I have ever known. This is not just a business, it's a family. The dive club meetings on Tuesday nights are a blast and have really cool and interesting speakers, not to mention they raffle of amazing gifts like dive computers and boat trips too! Through one of their dive club meetings, I was introduced to a fantastic volunteer diving program at the California Science Center that has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. I have bought all my gear at Eco, and with the exception of one defective computer (which I bought used, but which was immediately replaced with a new one for free), I have never had any issues with gear I have rented or purchased. Eco Dive Center also strives to promote their message of preserving the oceans, which I think is truly admirable.

Visited February 2011

El Segundo, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Best Dive Shop in Southern California!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2011

My husband and I decided to get our open water certification for our honeymoon to Bora Bora in the summer of 2009. I called a few local dive shops and Eco's friendly and knowledgeable staff, competitive prices and class schedule flexibility made our decision easy. We are so happy with this decision! Since our open water certification in 2009, we have slowly purchased all of our dive gear through Eco (wet suits, dry suits, BC's, Regs, Dive Computers, bags, etc). If you are considering buying any dive equipment, CALL ECO...their prices can't be beat! We have also continued our education all through Eco. My husband has completed Rescue and is currently in the dive master class. We love that Eco puts safety as a top priority, but also knows how to have fun. The staff at eco is truly a great group of people. We have so much fun on the Eco chartered dive trips -- from Catalina to wreck weekends in San Diego to Santa Barbara, it's always a blast. We also hope to join them on one of their tropical trips someday! Eco also has a great dive club which meets monthly featuring speakers relating to the diving. It is always a great time. We couldn't be happier with our initial decision to take our open water class through Eco. It has been so rewarding and has brought us to an amazing dive community of new friends and great experiences above and below the water!

Visited February 2011
1 Thank lindsay426
North Hills, CA
“A Great shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

The shop is large but still has a really nice mom-n-pop feel. The staff are friendly and take the time to talk to you about your needs and wants. The dive instructors on top notch and are always helpful and do everything to make sure your dive experience is enjoyable and safe.

Visited January 2011
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fantastic dive shop and PADI certification course”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

Ron and the team at Eco Dive Center are the best. I was Open Water certified through their Life Guard course and the experience couldn't have been better. My classmates and I, being life guards, are all familiar with the water, something that we take for granted, as a lot of the non-lifeguard course deals with remaining calm under water and having the endurance to actually swim.

Instead of a course spread over two weekends, we did everything in one weekend. We studied the book at home and on Friday night had a three hour class where we reviewed each chapter and took tests to apply the knowledge we'd learned. Out instructor Jessica explained the SCUBA math very easily ensuring everyone could figure out de-co times. We all passed easily.

Saturday AM found us in the Culver City pool from 7:30-10:30am, learning the basic skills that we would apply to our two shore dives later that day. Jessica was fantastic and very thorough, though admittedly, we were a great class and flew through each underwater test.

LThe two shore dives were in Redondo Beach at Vets Park. The first time you walk in the ocean with what feels like 50 extra pounds of gear is a little daunting but Jessica and our other instructor Dan gave us the confidence to power through the waves and prepare to descend. That first dive, the vis was incredible (our instructors' words). We all had no problem descending and completing the various tests needed. Everyone was very excited after that first dive and Jessica and Dan were happy that we were doing so well.

The vis on the second dive wasn't as great, and Jessica warned us to stay close to our buddy as it would be the first time we were under water without great visibility. Despite the different conditions, we finished that dive's tests with ease and made the long trek back to our cars for a wrap-up discussion. Jessica and Dan were pleased that we were all doing so well. She told us how to best recover from all the work we'd done today and how rest and hydration was especially important so we didn't feel like rubbish for our three Sunday dives off Catalina.

Sunday morning, we left out of Long Beach for the three Catalina dives. The dives were incredible! I'd never seen kelp forests and man, it was a trip. So much life down there! The boat Eco chartered was great. The people not taking classes were friendly and eager to share dive stories. The food served between each dive was delicious; I still have dreams about the french toast our chef made! After we completed our fourth dive, we were officially certified Open Water divers! For our fifth dive, we were able to go with just a buddy. It's pretty amazing to think that Friday night I'm walking in a door with just book knowledge and by Sunday afternoon, I've learned the basic skill sets and my buddy and I now have the confidence to dive at 65ft without an instructor present. It's a testament to Eco's thorough instruction. And throughout the whole weekend, Jessica's enthusiasm for diving really infected the whole class. She was such a positive influence and as a result, we all had such a good time learning SCUBA and hanging out with each other.

After the weekend, Ron told us that he would give us a deal; if we wanted to purchase the rental gear we had used all weekend, tank included, we could do so at an AMAZING price. Three people in the class (myself included) took advantage and I couldn't be happier about it.

I would recommend Eco Dive Center to anyone interested in learning how to SCUBA from a friendly, energetic and knowledgeable staff. They really are the best!

Visited October 2010
Los Angeles, California
“Probably the most active dive shop in LA!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2011

I frequent Eco for all my diving needs, the staff is always friendly and ready to help, and they have dive boats going out every weekend, including trips to Catalina and the Channel Islands and even more advanced diving trips around Southern California! The instructors there know their stuff and with a full calendar of classes they always have something going on. If you're looking to go diving around LA definitely stop by Eco Dive Center first!

Visited December 2010