“French items not really authentic”
Review of l'epicerie market - CLOSED

l'epicerie market
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Cuisines: French
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Dusquene
Description: Perfectly situated right across from Sony Studios and Kirk Douglas Theatre, L'Epicerie Market/Cafe-Restaurant perfectly embodies the ideals of the Southwest French way of life. Helmed by Thierry Perez and Chef Sebastien Archambault, L'Epicerie Market not only specializes in well-loved products brought from Europe, but also in exquisitely-prepared dishes for a fine, yet casual and friendly dining experience, without the formal frills and price shock. Chef Archambault cooks in an open kitchen framed by rustic wood, with a crepe maker that offers guests a prime view of the kitchen making those unforgettable sweet and savory crepes. Ingenuity extends to the Chef's entrees, which include Field Mushroom, Sauteed Shrimps and Chorizo, Citrus Piperade with Mesclun Salad or Braised Beef Cheek with Risotto Arborio, Red Wine Sauce, Arugula, and Parmesan Cheese. Come enjoy the ambiance of what real, home-style European dining was and still is all about. From our table to yours, Bon Appetit!
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I have eaten here three times: twice for lunch and once for drinks and light bar fare. The two lunches were disappointing in that items that should be authentically French were not. First, the crepes. Since the demise of Chez Puce in the 1970s, I have not found a truly great crepe in the Los Angeles area. They should correctly be thin, crisp, made of buckwheat flour, and not have too much filling. The ones here were a little soft and soggy and had way too much rich filling. I experienced this with both the vegetable ones and the smoked salmon ones. Secondly, the l'Epicerie Sandwich was a baguette with butter, ham and cheese, and lettuce. What made it not French (to me) was that the baguette was heated, so that the cheese got soft and melty, which is not how baguette sandwiches are served in France. The drinks and bar food experience was more positive, helped a lot by the charming barman, who knew just what kind of white wine to choose for me.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

This is one of my favorite places in Culver City. A real nieghborhood eatery. The staff is attentive and friendly. I've been there for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. For breakfast, the croquette madame is the best I've had, the bread so crunchy. I also recommend the bacon waffle with egg, which is a perfect miss of savory and sweet. For lunch, they have a combo of the soup and sandwich of the day which is a tasty deal. For dinner, I've usually shared tapas and along with the small plates being delicious and well made, they are also nicely presented. I'm not a fan of duck, but have heard from a foodie friend that their duck confit is the best they had ever had.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Lotsa choices of breakfast egg dishes for $10 (not $8 as shown on the online PDF). $10 is a nice round number. It's lower than the $12-13 egg dishes at the new French Meet Bistro nearby, which I haven't tried yet. $10 for anything is good because that way I don't spend time comparing what I would get for $9 or $8 vs $7.

The three-egg option, scrambled or omelet, with any three ingredients (from a reasonable number of choices including salmon or meats, vegies, cheeses) makes it great fun to dream up your own creation. I ordered scrambled eggs with spinach, mushroom, and goat cheese, and it was scrumptious. They came with a side salad that was fine (spring mix, O.K. dressing). Hot crunchy slices of baguette. Homemade plum jam.

There were six of us so we sat at a wonderful table in the back. It reminds me of a big sturdy farmhouse wooden table with a bench on one side. It is in a side nook almost like a private room. It is surrounded by wooden shelves filled with wine bottles on two sides and with wicker baskets on the third side. I LOVED that setting! (That said, in case of earthquake there is nothing to keep the bottles from falling off the shelves--no safety wire or "railing.")

My latte was creamy with a hint of slight bitterness from the coffee, mellow, rich, adult.

I give it 5 stars not because it's gourmet food (it's good food, but not divine), but because it meets my expectations.

I would love to go back for a weekend breakfast with favorite relatives or friends.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Had lunch with a friend; I had wanted to try this marketplace/restaurant. Food prepared with care - I had the hamburger which was excellent. We also tried the smoked salmon croissant, also very good. Desserts and coffee also very good. Can be busy at lunch time and parking a challenge, but worth it.

Reviewed 15 November 2011

I have eaten here for breakfast and dinner and was pleased with both visits. The decor is simple and clean and the service is good but slow. The food is excellent for the price. I was served with the lightest and most flavorful waffle I ever had. However, eggs were not available a la carte. A French cook was busy in the kitchen. This is a great neighborhood spot where it's easy to become a regular.