“Gave us an empty gift card with no apology”
Review of l'epicerie market - CLOSED

l'epicerie market
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Cuisines: French
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Dusquene
Description: Perfectly situated right across from Sony Studios and Kirk Douglas Theatre, L'Epicerie Market/Cafe-Restaurant perfectly embodies the ideals of the Southwest French way of life. Helmed by Thierry Perez and Chef Sebastien Archambault, L'Epicerie Market not only specializes in well-loved products brought from Europe, but also in exquisitely-prepared dishes for a fine, yet casual and friendly dining experience, without the formal frills and price shock. Chef Archambault cooks in an open kitchen framed by rustic wood, with a crepe maker that offers guests a prime view of the kitchen making those unforgettable sweet and savory crepes. Ingenuity extends to the Chef's entrees, which include Field Mushroom, Sauteed Shrimps and Chorizo, Citrus Piperade with Mesclun Salad or Braised Beef Cheek with Risotto Arborio, Red Wine Sauce, Arugula, and Parmesan Cheese. Come enjoy the ambiance of what real, home-style European dining was and still is all about. From our table to yours, Bon Appetit!
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Was given a gift certificate to L'Epicerie Market for Christmas last year by my sister-in-law. We were very excited to use the certificate, but were saving it for a "special occasion." We finally went in for breakfast and enjoyed a small but tasty breakfast. However, when we tried to use our gift certificate, we were told that the gift certificate had no balance. When we spoke to the manager, he explained that they use an outside company to pay for and load the gift certificates, and it was not their fault if no balance was ever loaded on to the card. Additionally, there was no way to know whether or not we had used the card previously, so there was nothing that could be done. He was rude, short, and condescending and we left feeling completely ripped off.

So basically, this restaurant took the $50 my sister paid for the gift card and we're out of luck. On top of losing the $50 that should have been on the gift card, we had to pay for the meal out of our own pocket. So basically, if you want a decent meal, this place is fine, but avoid their gift certificates at all costs - that is unless you want to gift your money to the restaurant.

There are newer reviews for l'epicerie market

Reviewed 19 October 2012

Date of Review 10/19/2012
Review Of: L’Epicerie Market
Location: 9900 culver Blvd. Culver Ciy , CA 90232

L’ EPICERIE: THE THIRD REICH CAFÉ

In the one month I have patronized L’Epicerie I can say without reserve the service and treatment of customers by L’Epicerie’s staff fluctuates between exceptionally poor to unbelievably vile. It would be logical to assume this is a direct reflection on what must be exceptionally poor management and ownership of this establishment. My final encounter with L’Epicerie took place Friday 10/19/2012 at 7AM. In the one month I have patronized L’Epicerie I have placed the same order for Karigan Green tea; as many as three orders a day. This is due to the fact they are relatively close to where I work. At $3.00 a cup, given the mark-up and brief labor involved, this should be a relatively simple, hassle free and profitable transaction for the average café, however not L’Epicerie.

I ordered two green teas Friday morning (10/19/12). I watched as the L’Epicerie barista, a girl with short black hair and a tattoo of a star on her neck, steep the tea for what must have been less than one minute. The following conversation between myself and the L’Epicerie staff is listed in brief for expediency. I told her that tea should to be steeped for 3 to 4 minutes to be properly done. She responded “this is how I am instructed to do it” and “I work here”, she made this and subsequent comments several times in manner that conveyed the iron fact this was how it was going to be done whether I liked it or not. I responded “I am the one who’s paying for it”. Another L’Epicerie associate, Andrew, responded I should tell them before if I wanted it steeped for 3 to 4 minutes. I responded how was I supposed to know that they were going to steep the tea for such a brief period. In true tag-team fashion L’epicerie’s two associates took turns being abusive and obnoxious so much so I simply asked for a refund. I commented at the end how poor the service was at which point the verbal abusive really intensified. I can tolerate a high amount of abuse and bad treatment just to get my order and leave, but this was just one of several incidents.

The day before (Thursday 10/18/2012) I called to place an order for two Karigan Green teas. The girl who answered the phone did not want to take the order and told me I should just come in and place the order. I told her I don’t have a great deal of time and would only be able to drop in and pick up and pay for the order. I was unsure if she even was going to take the order, I asked her if she wanted my name for the order and she said no and hung up. I arrived 10 minutes later to pick up the order. I met the girl at the register, I could tell from her voice she was the same girl I spoke with over the phone. She handed me the bill in a black bill holder typically used by waiters for seated customers. What made this odd was the fact both she and I were standing across from each other next to the cash register. The girl made it obvious she had little care if any of paying the brief amount of attention required to complete, what should have been, a simple transaction. L’Epicerie was not busy with patrons at that time, if fact I have never seen L’Epicerie busy with patrons, I now understand why. When I offered her my bank card to pay for the order she again handed me the black bill holder to put it in. Were I a seated patron at the restaurant I could understand this procedure, however I was standing three feet across from this girl next to the cash register. I commented to her this was rather odd since I was standing right there across from her at a cash register. I paid for my order and left.
L’Epicerie would certainly not be a place to invite anyone to as a dining establishment. It would be wise to avoid L’Epicerie either permanently or until it undergoes a change in management, staff, and possibly ownership.

In closing I will reiterate L’Epicerie’s décor portrays itself as a French theme restaurant; however it more accurately embodies a Third Reich Concentration Camp and Café staffed with black uniformed Gestapos posing as baristas.

Amar
Email: theskymailbox@gmail.com

Reviewed 15 May 2012

I have eaten here three times: twice for lunch and once for drinks and light bar fare. The two lunches were disappointing in that items that should be authentically French were not. First, the crepes. Since the demise of Chez Puce in the 1970s, I have not found a truly great crepe in the Los Angeles area. They should correctly be thin, crisp, made of buckwheat flour, and not have too much filling. The ones here were a little soft and soggy and had way too much rich filling. I experienced this with both the vegetable ones and the smoked salmon ones. Secondly, the l'Epicerie Sandwich was a baguette with butter, ham and cheese, and lettuce. What made it not French (to me) was that the baguette was heated, so that the cheese got soft and melty, which is not how baguette sandwiches are served in France. The drinks and bar food experience was more positive, helped a lot by the charming barman, who knew just what kind of white wine to choose for me.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

This is one of my favorite places in Culver City. A real nieghborhood eatery. The staff is attentive and friendly. I've been there for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. For breakfast, the croquette madame is the best I've had, the bread so crunchy. I also recommend the bacon waffle with egg, which is a perfect miss of savory and sweet. For lunch, they have a combo of the soup and sandwich of the day which is a tasty deal. For dinner, I've usually shared tapas and along with the small plates being delicious and well made, they are also nicely presented. I'm not a fan of duck, but have heard from a foodie friend that their duck confit is the best they had ever had.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Lotsa choices of breakfast egg dishes for $10 (not $8 as shown on the online PDF). $10 is a nice round number. It's lower than the $12-13 egg dishes at the new French Meet Bistro nearby, which I haven't tried yet. $10 for anything is good because that way I don't spend time comparing what I would get for $9 or $8 vs $7.

The three-egg option, scrambled or omelet, with any three ingredients (from a reasonable number of choices including salmon or meats, vegies, cheeses) makes it great fun to dream up your own creation. I ordered scrambled eggs with spinach, mushroom, and goat cheese, and it was scrumptious. They came with a side salad that was fine (spring mix, O.K. dressing). Hot crunchy slices of baguette. Homemade plum jam.

There were six of us so we sat at a wonderful table in the back. It reminds me of a big sturdy farmhouse wooden table with a bench on one side. It is in a side nook almost like a private room. It is surrounded by wooden shelves filled with wine bottles on two sides and with wicker baskets on the third side. I LOVED that setting! (That said, in case of earthquake there is nothing to keep the bottles from falling off the shelves--no safety wire or "railing.")

My latte was creamy with a hint of slight bitterness from the coffee, mellow, rich, adult.

I give it 5 stars not because it's gourmet food (it's good food, but not divine), but because it meets my expectations.

I would love to go back for a weekend breakfast with favorite relatives or friends.