“All Look, No Taste”

Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We needed a centrally located restaurant where we could get together with friends who were visiting LA, and Kay 'n Dave's seemed to be an ideal place. When we got there on a Friday, it was predictably busy, but they were able to pull together to tables for our group of five with a minimal wait.

But that was it for the highlights.

The first clue was the chips and salsa. Chips were OK, though didn't seem fresh. But the salsa... it looked like salsa, with chucks of tomato, peppers... but it was just bland, with a slight ketchup-ish aftertaste. We asked our waiter if they had some different salsa and he brought out a habenero and chipotle salsas. The habenero did have some spice to it, the chipotle tasted like smoke. Both were better than than the house salsa, but underwhelming.

The table ordered a round of drinks, and they were a bit slow to deliver. The house margaritas were strong - on the the first round. The special ginger margarita was ok, but wasn't as tasty as I had hoped for when I read the description.

While waiting to order I saw a nearby table receive an order of fajitas. They were sizzling and sounded great, and that sold me. My wife ordered the Mango Chutney Sole.

The food showed up fairly promptly, the fajitas sizzling and popping. Nice two-plate display with black beans, rice, guacamole. But the food itself?

It was bland. The chicken had no seasoning, the peppers and onions, while colorful, tasted more of oil. The black beans were meh... even the guacamole. I salted and peppered everything and added salsa, but it was underwhelming.

On the drive home I asked by wife about her dinner. The pineapple and mango were both under-ripe, and the portions were underwhelming. She wasn't impressed.

Maybe it was a bad night for the kitchen. Maybe they just ran out of salt? And pepper? And cumin?

Or maybe that is how Culver City likes their Mexican food. The next day when we told some other friends about where we had eaten and our experience, they said "yeah, that's why we don't ever go there."

Regardless, there are much better choices in the neighborhood.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Kay n Dave's is a favorite of ours in Culver City. They have outdoor patio seating, a vibrant bar area, and indoor seating. They do not take reservations so the wait is sometimes long. The salmon and spinach enchiladas are a favorite. The chips and salsa are very good as well. The food is more gourmet Mexican.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Have been eating at Kay and Dave's for over 20 years and loving it. DAve has had his ups and downs and starting in the Palisades I was always dissapointed in the Brentwood version. But the culver city cantina is fun, the food is great and the staff were very friendly.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Thank you fellow Trip Advisors! Because of your positive reviews we dined at Kay n' Dave's Cantina tonight and loved it! This is not your garden variety Mexican food. It is really different, with some quite unusual dishes. I would call it gourmet Mexican and everything our party of four ordered was just delicious. I especially liked the Pork Cochinita Pibil, with the meat roasted in a banana leaf. What flavor! It came with a delicious cactus salad and really tasty rice. I'm not a drinker, but I think anyone who enjoys margaritas will be happy -- lots of choices. The staff was incredibly nice, the atmosphere was casual and inviting -- the clientele was made up of people of all ages, including children. Only one possible drawback -- inside dining was very loud, but even on this busy evening, the staff moved us to the much quieter outdoor tables without blinking an eye. No question I will be returning to this restaurant!

Reviewed 21 March 2013

We were visiting in LA area and took the advice of other TripAdvisor's and tried Kay 'n Dave's Cantina. We ordered the nights special, Chili Verde Relleno. It was very different than any Mexican food that we have had. The server told us that we might find it a bit "spicy" but we thought that would be OK. (We like it a bit spicy).
The chili Verde was very different than any we had ever had. The pork was larger steaks of pork with some strips of chili on top. A little green sauce but not like one would usually have with chili Verde. We found it to be unusual but delicious. Overall, the prices were a little higher than an ordinary Mexican restaurant but Kay 'n Dave's isn't ordinary.
The service was great, salsa was good, great atmosphere. A very nice evening.