“Woman vs. Pastrami: Pastrami Conquers”
Review of Johnnie's Pastrami

Johnnie's Pastrami
Ranked #5 of 326 Restaurants in Culver City
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend loves pastrami and wanted to come here to Johnnie's. From Long Beach, it took us about 40 minutes on this fine Memorial Day Monday--which makes this place blessedly empty so far. I've never been here but I like the patio dining area where we sat. There were cute little picnic style tables with flower boxes lining the perimeter of the patio. I ordered the pastrami combo which included a sandwich, crinkle cut fries, and coleslaw for 16.75$ and a side of au jus sauce (.75$ for Swiss cheese) and a root beer fountain drink (free refills). My guy ordered a pastrami with Swiss and a drink. Our total came to a few cents shy of 38$. It's a little more than I'd rather spend on my sandwich meal but they're pretty big. Half a sandwich will fill you up.
The lady that served us was super friendly, the grounds clean, the sandwich okay, but pastrami is not my favorite (when in Culver City...) the fries Hot...and they give you thickly sliced pickles to munch on when you're seated--yum, they're good!

FYI--cash only and woman's restroom is in the kitchen.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Tried their Hot Pastrami on French roll and I was surprise the size of the meat oozing fresh from the pan. It taste like moisture and oily in your mouth without the pickles, jalapenos, or mustard on it. Unlike other pastrami I tasted before this one has distinctive taste that's similar to homemade pastrami. It's raw and I feel like home only to find out that the place is small and it gets crowded at times. Parking is difficult to find a spot but if you go there on lunch I don't think it's an issue.

1  Thank S0lange13
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I haven't been to Johnie's for 5 years at least - and I got a chance to go this past week when I was in LA. Let me tell you - it was WORTH THE WAIT.

You can't go and not have the Pastrami, but my buddy isn't a fan, so he ordered the Patty Melt. Under any other circumstances, his patty melt would have been a stand-out, but this was Johnie's after, where Pastrami rules the world. We also ordered the onion rings, which were an "A+"

Do yourself a favor: Schedule yourself into LA a day early and take in Johnie's for a late lunch. Wash down your sandwich and rings with a hand-made milkshake and take an early nap.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

I've been to Johnnie's Pastrami on Washington dozens of times, but I wasn't reviewsing on TA then. Had time to go there on Wednesday night. As expected, outstanding sandwich (Hot Corned Beef on French Roll), fries/onion rings, water...and Heineken. All while sitting outside at 7:30 pm at night by the fire in shorts and T-shirts.

Pickles to die for.

All of it was as good as I ever remembered it when I used to live just 10 blocks away. Nice to know some things haven't changed in the 17 years since you first went and were so impressed.

1  Thank ScumOne
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Johnnie's is far and away the best pastrami sandwich in Los Angeles. The outdoor seating area is nice with a great fire pit to keep you warm on those latte night visits. I love the pickles, people in the know will ask for the "atomic" mustard and clear those sinuses. I'm literally drooling just thinking about it.

1  Thank Christian H