“A great discovery eating at Muddy Leek- a winner!”
Review of Muddy Leek - CLOSED

Muddy Leek
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Sherbourne
Transit: Near the metro stop at National and Washington Blvd as well as the Bus stop all along the block - great location.
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Today I was in the market for a special lunch for a very dear friend. We have roved this city for 30 years eating at unusual spots in unexpected places. Well today when I checked DineLA, this place was of the 10 best picks for making the most of a dining experience. what could be better, - a new place 2 miles from where we needed to be- done! Well how wonderful this restaurant turned out to be. Lovely ambience, great choices on Dine LA menu or their regular selection. I was astonished at what they produced. Fresh, sumptuous, diverse and interesting. Staff was very accommodating in every way. The corn soup was the best. Shrimp and grits- a winner, bouillabaisse fab! The heirloom tomato salad divine as well as homemade merguez sausage . Perfect lunch. Plating is lovely and inspiring things really come from that kitchen. They bring homemade chocolate truffles as a thank you. What a perfect ending to a special lunch. Head over there and support their efforts I can't wait to go back.

1  Thank Judith A
There are newer reviews for Muddy Leek

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Chicken fried bacon, who would think? It was great. We had a good meal and a great time. I especially liked the appetizers and the dessert beignet. A tasty treat. I had shrimp and my husband had goat, and I liked the unusual menu options and combinations. We had a nice comfortable meal inside, and I look forward to returning soon.

1  Thank CalAnn
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Delicious lunch on the patio out back which feels like a calm oasis of succulents and other plants. We had the lunch special which was a lentil croquette on naan with avocado, hummus cucumbers & greens. Also had the halibut fish tacos which were very tasty. The complimentary bread and chocolate truffles added to an outstanding lunch.

1  Thank MegQ
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Another pleasant surprise in Los Angeles’ west side is the Muddy Leek. A bunch of us headed to this place for a business dinner, and it was another nice treat. The location is just north of downtown Culver City, so it is a bit more quiet and laid-back. It is very easy to miss because it is perfectly blended into the neighborhood. Indeed, the restaurant has the feel of a local hole-in-the-wall taken up a notch. I sometimes drive by on this street and had not noticed the Muddy Leek until now.

The food… the complementary bread and butter came out first. Bread was warm and made for a good start. Then the starters… poached egg and truffled grits – interesting take on a southern favorite. I miss grits, so this was definitely a plus. Pickled vegetables – just ok… not into veggies. Cheese and Charcuterie – a nice selection of various cheeses and prosciutto. Mac n Cheese – interesting preparation, tasty.
Then the plates… Most of us had the flat iron steak or the halibut. The steak looked pretty good, tender to the cut, but some thought the shoestring fries were too shoestring and the potato didn’t come through. I had the halibut, and it was perfectly cooked. Lightly browned with tender flesh.

Disclaimer – the dishes change so you may not get the same choices as above. Supply and demand.

The dishes are fair sized; the prices are hefty but Muddy Leek doesn’t skimp on portions. The dishes are unique presentations of some tried and true comfort foods. It is as if the chef is making his culinary skills accessible to the common man. If you’re in town and looking for locally sourced fair that is well-prepared, consider the Muddy Leek.

Service – we had no problems at all. The staff was all very friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

I am beginning to tire of restaurants claiming "organic, sustainable, local, farm-fresh" etc. as what seems to be a stand-in for lack of flavor. Muddy Leek is an appealing and engaging restaurant with very pleasant service on a nice patio. For lunch we had the fish tacos. The fish was fresh and well-cooked, but the taco did not have enough of anything else on it (undetectable guacamole) so it was dry and lacked flavor. The accompanying black beans and (brown--really? Mexican?) were dry and tasteless. Our waitress was awesome.