“Handcrafted Ice Cream in Interesting Flavors”
Review of Coolhaus

Coolhaus
Ranked #1 of 12 Dessert in Culver City
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We went here on a recommendation from a friend and I am SO glad we did! It's a pretty nondescript store front in Culver City and without even a webpage to find out what the flavors of the day were, I wasn't sure what we were in for. As a person who tries to get my hands on homemade ice cream wherever I go, though, I was game to give it a go.

The two girls working were incredibly friendly, attentive, and helpful, not to mention patient. I must have tried 6 different flavors before settling on Balsamic Fig Marscapone and Pistachio Truffle. Let me just tell you, the ice cream was divine. Just the right hints of flavor, lusciously creamy, and just all around delicious. My boyfriend and another friend got the Blueberry Citron Mojito - very yummy - and the salted caramel (a group fave for sure). My girlfriend got the blueberry cobbler and while I couldn't try it because of gluten issues, she said it was scrumptious.

I really couldn't have been happier with my selection, though, and the flavors paired together fabulously. I also tried the brown butter bacon (suprisingly salty, sweet goodness), lemon thyme (a refreshing delight) and a couple others that I unfortunately can't remember - but you really couldn't go wrong.

The flavors are creative (there's a chicken and waffles, I didn't try) but not too out there and they do make sense on the palate. If you love ice cream and enjoy finding little digs like this that change up the menu every day, it's a must. They don't have a website so you may not know the flavors until you get there but that just adds to the adventure. They are on instagram and will usually post the flavor board for the day (but not always).

If you're in Culver City - or even just passing through - I recommend the stop.

There are newer reviews for Coolhaus

Reviewed 12 April 2013

We were visiting family in Los Angeles, and during our stay there, we took a long bicycle ride along the canal on the bike path. It was not just a leisurely ride, we were on a mission to Coolhaus. I haven't been on a bike since last summer, and am only a leisurely rider at best, so this exercise nearly killed me. When we arrived at our destination, I could barely stand up,(my legs wouldn't hold me) and ice cream, home-made and eclectic flavors, was the perfect reward for the grueling ride. The young person behind the counter was most friendly and accommodating. Seeing that we could not decide on which flavor to get, she offered us samples, and encouraged us to try many of the unusual flavors. We finally decided on fried chicken and waffle, coffee and oreo cookie, blood orange sorbet and spicey pineapple with cilantro, but there were other exotic flavors, such as balsamic fig and mascarpone, beer and pretzels and lots of other funky, yet tasty flavors. On the counter, there was a plate of cookie samples. Those, too, are most interesting, and would take another entire review. If you like dessert, specifically ice cream, and you are in Los Angeles, this is a MUST, although the prices are not bargains, but then so what?