“nice bruschetta”

Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I had a great time
I ordered a bruschetta it was prepared with tomato, garlic, fresh basil on a nice bread
a concha toro red wine from Chile
dessert a cannoli alla siciliana (not enough chocolate chip)
but still good

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Ugo recently did a bit of renovating and so was closed for a couple of months. I went back a few days ago for the first time after the renovations and am sad to report that overall I found it to have gone downhill a bit.

First, they revamped the menu a bit - I wouldn't say this is a show stopper but I was disappointed that they no longer offer what had been my favorite dish there, Spaghettini D'Malfi (spaghettini in tomato cream sauce with rock shrimp and capers). So we tried a few new dishes - one was an appetizer containing steamed shrimp on a bed of green apple slices, another was shell pasta with chicken and red peppers, and another was pasta with mushrooms in a tomato creme sauce. All of these were good, but generally I would say they were all a little on the bland side. More flavor is called for. For dessert we had tiramisu, which was the highlight of the meal and truly excellent - its served in a chocolate shell which was to die for. After we paid the check we also visited their gelato bar and tried a few samples - all were excellent except that the gelato scooped from the outside edge of the gelato bowl seemed dry.

Second, the level of service seems to have gone down a bit as well. The bread as originally served to us was not warm, and we had to ask several times to get bread that was actually warm. Also, when the bread was served the waitress brought a bottle of vinegar and oil and poured some into a dish for us. These used to be kept on the table and since we like to use a lot of vinegar, we asked her to leave the bottles - she complied, but the look on her face made it clear that she didn't want to or wasn't supposed to.

In any case, I'm probably going to give them another try based on previous experiences. Ugo has a nice location, the outdoor dining area is nice and the prices are reasonable. Given that we went a few days after they opened from their renovations, maybe they were still getting themselves sorted.

Reviewed 7 February 2013

Amid the bustle of Culver City is this sidewalk cafe that gives you just enough space off the sidewalk to people watch but far enough from traffic that you don't feel like you could be part of a vehicular accident. Some fun and crazy drinks (and expensive) like an expresso in a chocolate-lined martini glass. The gelato was excellent but the sandwiches were only average. The salad was fresh and the coffee drinks were better than Starbucks. A nice place to sit outside and watch the world go by.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

Just back from Ugo's - initially expected a gelato cafe, but was pleasantly surprised with the dinner menu - we shared a very nice caesar salad, then two entrees: sand dabs and linguine vongole - both of which were delicious - excellent taste and pleasing portions. We started off with temptations from the gelato selection, and then were too full for dessert; but the espresso was also delicious.....our first time in Culver City and we will return to Ugos before we leave.

Reviewed 26 December 2012

At a holiday party. The restaurant issued credit cards, which we used to pour wine samples from about 25 or more bottles inverted in holders. The costs of these were in the price of the party. It was a kind of New York City automatic diner where you insert your quarter and get a sandwich. The difference is that these swallows of wine were marked off the credit card at about $2-4 each. These were tastes of wine, not glasses of wine. An actual glass of wine would be the same as if one ordered it here--about $9+ on average. It did have the advantage of us serving ourselves so that the wait staff was able to be elsewhere and not trying to remove our plates without asking.

When they were present, they were not of much help. They offered no suggestions. The party dinner menu offered three dishes, one with fish and one with beef; the third was penne, which also came on a platter in a pile in the middle of the table for the protein eaters--a fact of life they never told the pasta- ordering folks. The food came on platters and was enough for two or three people.

We were there about two hours when they finally made away with my plate. I wasn't looking right at my plate. I was able prior to that to respond, "please keep it in my way," in response to their expressed concerns about its being in my way (did I look that uncomfortable?), and their questions, "Are you still working on that?", which seemed like a question I'd ask the pavement machine operator after four hours of still hovering over one 3-foot length of road.

My plate, with the server's thumb a good two inches into the interior of its circumference, retained the digit print of one-two servers who dove down to remove its offending presence (who was offended?) prior to its finally being whisked away when I was distracted. It turned out to be just as well because we were asked to leave so that they could set up for the next party. We didn't know this in advance, but everyone still left with plates gulped down tof heir last bites, and we rushed out the door onto the street where the next party stood with jaws clenched and eyes glaring at our dilatory natures.

I've been there three times now, and I notice that it always seems half full. Is there a rule that the less busy the restaurant the faster they need to remove the plates ("Are you still working on that")? It is a desultory experience with vegetables cooked crunchy but without much taste (although I can tell the difference between cauliflower and broccoli), salad that seems fresh but offended by its dressing, and main courses that fill up a person but do not satisfy the desire to remember any tastes.

What's it like? An unmemorable experience.