“Favorite Sushi Place”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Favorite Sushi Place”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I'm in Cupertino every 2 weeks or so since 2006. I eat here as often as I can. The reviews on this place are accurate - it's small, and a locals place. Skip the rolls - although the rainbow roll is delicious - and just get fish. They have a chalk board with everything fresh. The toro is always delicious when they have it. They get seasonal specials - which are always fantastic. Kuni, the owner, closest chef to the door, and Yumi my favorite waitress will treat you right!

London, UK
“Haven in homogenous hell”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Small, bit run down, but has character in an area that is homogenous hell. Food was pretty good. Staff is friendly and very good service. Price was average and ate there 3 times in the week I was in the area.

Visited April 2014
San Francisco, California
“Authentic Japanese Cuisine. No hype No fancy”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I have been visiting Sushi Kuni since year 200 3. On an average, once a week. Nothing much has changed since 2003. The head chef and waitress are old timer. Traditional Japanese. Simple setting of this restaurant but the food is very fresh and respectable. Menu is NOT extensive nor fancy. Just basic traditional Japanese food.The only drawback is that they usually have a hard time to manage busy crowd/peak hours. Time management and efficiency of the waiting team needs to be improved. Again, food is always good, tasty,fresh and well prepared. Cooking standard is very consistent. I rarely have a negative surprise. When it is in season, they will share the "special" with their old customers. Very limited in supply of these special. Frankly, whatever that they share, it's very unique and eye opening. Of course, it is delicious and seasonal too. I never try to remember the names either.
Overall it is a 8 out of 10 stars establishment. If you live, work or meeting someone in Cupertino or nearby, come by to satisfy your tummy. Dinner for two with plenty of sushi, handrolls, 2 appetizers, udon, 3 large hot sake cost about $120-$150.
Perhaps it is time for this old house needs to be updated/re-fresh a bit :)

• Visited April 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
“Mom & Pop place that understands how to treat customers”
Reviewed 26 January 2013

After a transcontinental flight, we checked in to the Cypress Hotel across the street, that being said, we wanted something convenient, casual and "good''. We passed on the terrible offering the airline was doling out and went almost all day w/out a real meal.

The proprietor greeted us at the door, very friendly and most accommodating. Not wanting to just play with our food, we asked for and received forks.

We opted for the Crunch Roll and another roll with long neck clams. We also ordered two orders (cuz we just love Eel) of the Unagi (freshwater eel) which was very good. We also ordered the very healthy (large serving) Tobiko (Flying Fish roe). Wrapping up dinner with a Teriyaki Salmon dish which was light and very health. Rice was typical, Ginger nice and crisp (and natural in color) and the Wasabi packed a punch.

We were midst locals, this place is obviously a main hangout for locals of Oriental persuasion, and thus we felt as if we were in downtown Tokyo. Kudos go to the hostess/waitress and the chef's behind the sushi bar. Hope you are not a sociopath, as seating is tight. We literally bumped elbows with our immediate neighbors. Saleeby Score on this casual place has to be a 8.5/10.

• Visited January 2013
Los Gatos, California
“Great Sushi, Casual Setting”
Reviewed 12 December 2012

When I moved to Cupertino, California 15 years ago, I lived just two blocks from Sushi Kuni. It quickly became one of my favorite restaurants. It's a small, reasonably priced, casual place that often has a wait list, especially if you arrive after 7 PM on a Friday or Saturday night. They have a Tatami room that you can reserve for a small group.

I usually order the regular Nigiri dinner, which consists of spicy tuna roll and 6 pieces of nigiri sushi. The chef indulges me by substituting some kind of white fish for squid.

Another favorite of mine is the rainbow roll, which is served with a drizzle of brown sauce and another drizzle of a spicy mayo-like sauce. Together they enhance the flavor of the roll. I've tried rainbow rolls in many other sushi restaurants and have never found anything as delicious as this.

I've tried to find a better place, but so far, none beat Sushi Kuni.

• Visited November 2012