“Not great, Expensive”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Stevens Creek Blvd.
Description: Alexander's Steakhouse is a fine dining interpretation of the classic American steakhouse with hints of Japanese influence laced into the menu. Located in Cupertino, California, Alexander's Steakhouse is a welcome addition to the South Bay dining scene, receiving numerous awards and accolades since its opening in 2005.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My husband and I loved this place a few years ago when we came here. My husband was in San Jose over the weekend for business so I joined him to come here for dinner. Things were not great from the start. We were seated in a small room with one other large very loud party. When a women and a man go out to a fine dinner they may not want to be in the same room with a party of 15 yelling, laughing and even clapping repeatedly. We should have asked to be moved but we did not, our fault.
Service was good, not great. The worst thing was the food.  It was not fantastic. I wish I had the food people talked about in the 5 star reviews. NOTHING I ATE WAS OVER THE TOP FANTASTIC!!
Our bill came to $240 for two with tax and tip, no alcohol. We do not drink. With that kind of money spent I want to be blown away and I was not. We will not return.

1  Thank todarcie

Reviewed 9 June 2014

When we approached the neighborhood, we thought "oh no, we have made a terrible mistake...this can't be any good" but then we walked in the front door. Sophisticated ambiance, nice bar and waiting lounge, superb, I mean superb, service and food to die for.

The cocktails and beer lists are extensive, as is the wine list. Prepare to spend a chunk of change. Well worth it though.

Our waiter was very well informed, friendly and had a great sense of humor. He seemed to understand what we would like and what we wouldn't and made excellent suggestions.

Do not pass up the Hamachi shots! We will return one day to the bar for drinks and just order those for a yummy dinner.

While there is a large selection of Japanese beef, we avoided that section of the menu due to the cost. Over the top. The American beef was excellent, really excellent. We had a side of truffle risotto that melted in our mouths.

By these time, we were asking our waiter if it would be possible to get drunk on food, we were so giddy by the deliciousness of it

Really great place.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Alexander's Steakhouse in Cupertino, Ca is a place to GO FOR DINNER WHEN YOU ARE NOT IN A RUSH! The ambiance is very nice. The staff is nice and knowledgeable about the items on the menu. I liked the cheeseplate & lambchop appetizers. The side dishes (mashed potatoes, maccaroni & cheese, creamed spinach) were good. My ribeye steak was cooked exactly the way I like it and was DELICIOUS!!! My husband said his steak was 'okay'. My son had his ribeye steak cooked the way he asked them to cook it and then said it was, 'okay'. They tasted my steak and both agreed that it was DELICIOUS! The Pebble Beach dessert actually looks like pebbles, which wasn't appealing to me, but was very tasty. The Baked California & the Chocolate Lava dessert was good. The prices are way higher that your average steakhouse. It was a very expensive, nice, relaxing, interesting, good three hour dinner.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

This is definitely one of the better restaurants in the South Bay area -- wonderful steaks, charming touches (like the choice of appetizers, things to cleanse the palates between courses, good service pacing, etc.), but there were a few little things that kind of detract from the experience -- and with the prices they charge, you'd expect EVERYTHING to be perfect. We had reservations at 6:15, so when we arrived 10 minutes early, and found the place only 1/4 full, you'd expect no problems, but the hostess asked us to wait as our table wouldn't be ready till 6:15...hmmm. In the meantime, several parties without reservations would come in, and were promptly seated...hmmm. When 6:15 rolled around, still waiting so I went up to ask and the hostesses kept assuring me that they'd seat us...hmmm. OK, we finally got our table and ended up in a general room along side all the others without reservations anyway...hmmm. OK, no big deal but a little weird. After being seated, the waitress was really informative and able to explain things, make a few recommendations, and made us feel pretty comfortable and excited about the forthcoming experience. Hamachi shots and crab popcorn were incredible. Pricey but incredible. The fellow bringing us bread had an awful dour look, only went through the motions explaining his bread basket and, if he was trying to project that he didn't care, he succeeded. The waitress who took our main order would be so nice, bordering on sweet. When our appetizers arrived, the only thing that was a bit jaring was the manner that this particular guy would bring the food to us; he'd carefully place it in front, mumble something about it, and then wait for the oohs and aahs from us. We're not deaf but neither of us could understand half of what he was mumbling. OK, I guess he was jaded from experiencing this day in and day out but still, I wish I could feel that this was less rehearsed and more from the heart...as for the food, it was tremendous. Our steaks (Porterhouse and T-bone) were fabulous. Really good taste and perfectly cooked. Sides of asparagus and french fries were quite good as well. Different people would serve us, clear plates, fill water, etc., so this level of attention was quite nice. At the end of the day, the food was fantastic, the service -- when it was good, it was very good and when it was "less than good", it was almost weird. As others have said, this is a definite place where you go for special occasions and remember for years to come.. For us, much of it would be like that but unfortunately, we'll still remember some of the strange things too.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Had a terrific meal at Alexander's. Service was great. Had salmon, which was excellent. Also had some great sides. Others had steak tartar and risotto, all of which looked excellent and people enjoyed. Coffee service is really nice. Bill comes with an enormous thing of bright pink cotton candy, which is a really nice touch. Would definitely visit again next time I am in Cupertino.