“When you find earplugs on your night stand you know you are in for trouble”

Courtyard San Jose Cupertino
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Cupertino
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The staff was very pleasant and the hotel was up to Marriott Courtyard expectations, but the noise is horrendous. I was originally checked into a room on the freeway (and I am a Marriott Gold Member). I requested a quieter room and it was OK off commute times, but I was awakened at 5:30AM by the sound of traffic in my room. There are other choices in the area - pick one. This is not up to Marriott's standards.

Room Tip: Request a courtyard room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Helen S
CupertinoCY, General Manager at Courtyard San Jose Cupertino, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I am so excited to hear that our hotel staff was pleasant and that you felt the hotel was up to Courtyard Marriott standards. We pride ourselves on providing a great experience for each of our customers. You did mention the noise from the freeway. I am sorry this bothered you. Our location is exceptionally convenient, but our proximity to the freeway can have its downside as well. Although not something we can change, we are aware that the hotel’s location can be noisier than some are used too. We offer the ear plugs as a way for some persons to achieve a more restful sleep if this is the case. The next time you come to visit, try to reserve a VIEW room as this guarantees you a room overlooking the beautiful courtyard area which may offer relief from the roadway. Thank you again for your review. I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This is a nice hotel especially, for business travelers. Prices are a little high (for a Courtyard Marriott), but I think this has more to do with it being in Cupertino / San Jose than anything else. I ended up staying here because the San Jose Marriott was sold out (also nice), and was pleasantly surprised. Rooms were large. Wifi was good and the gym, had just been re-done and had just about anything you'd want. There is a full bar and the typical Courtyard Bistro. There was some outdoor seating in the courtyard which, with the weather you get in this area of the US, is as good a place as any to grab a drink and get caught up on some email. Down the road is a fantastic little restaurant I found, Alexander's Steakhouse. A 5 minute walk and worth it. Pricey, but a very good option for dinner. Bartenders were great. Not too stuffy, and the drinks were nice. Cabs do take about 15 minutes to get to the hotel. Airport is just 20 minutes away.

Room Tip: Stay in the back or off the street (front of hotel) if you can to avoid some of the street noise at...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

I am pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience. It sounds like you were really able to take advantage of the many benefits our Courtyard has to offer as well as some of the local flavors. I do hope you get an opportunity to visit us again!

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel lobby has been updated and has a reasonable selection of food and serves beer & wine. The hotel rooms still seem dated and have a musty smell. The rooms have a small frig and one cup coffee maker. First floor rooms you can hear footsteps from the second floor but, I couldn't hear the noise while sleeping. Parking around the hotel can fill up. The hotel is right off of Hwy 280.

• Stayed: May 2014
CupertinoCY, General Manager at Courtyard San Jose Cupertino, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review and share your experience with the Courtyard San Jose Cupertino. I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by the foot noise above your room. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction and we are constantly looking for ways to insure our guest's comfort, even in the face of things that are not directly in our control. Our guestrooms have been recently updated with new carpet, bedding, mattresses and other upholstered furnishings. I am glad you had a chance to stay with us and hope to have an opportunity to do so again soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This Courtyard Marriott is located right off I 280. It is difficult to spot upon arrival as the driveway snakes back around toward the freeway. The beds are very comfortable. The linens are crisp and clean. There is a mall and other shopping. The CM has a small café. Our room had a small mini refrigerator that we were able to fill with items for the grocery store. the outdoor courtyard is a great place to meet with family and friends travelling with you or to escape them and read a book or magazine. Similarly, the lobby is inviting and comfortable. Would recommend to a friend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing your comments. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff made you feel welcomed and appreciated. I certainly appreciate your feedback regarding the difficulty finding our hotel. Although we are right off the freeway, we are still a bit tucked away. I am glad you were able to enjoy the hotel and the many amenities. I hope that now that you know where to find us, we can have the pleasure of serving you again soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights on a trip to visit family living in the area, check in was quick and professional, front desk very helpful, room very clean and spacious, I had asked in advance for a rollaway bed and this was in the room, very nice clean hotel,lobby area, outside patio with fire pit, small gym and outside swimming pool, it was very hot during our stay so we used the pool a lot.
We left it late to eat one night but the small eating area in the lobby made up very good sandwiches for us, there are also snacks and drinks available to buy by reception. My only complaint about this otherwise lovely and friendly hotel would be the road noise, as other reviewers have stated the hotel is situated at the entrance to the freeway and road noise is really bad, you feel you are sleeping in the middle of the freeway!! im sure this could be fixed with effective double glazing, the internet access is free and a bit patchy but ok for us as we were on vacation.It is also quite expensive to stay here but that is down to the area. All that said I would return but would ask for a room away from road noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking pool away from freeway
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I am so exceited to hear that our hotel met your needs. We pride ourselves on providing a great experience for each of our customers and I am so happy that this was the case for you. You did mention the noise from the freeway. I am sorry this bothered you. Our location is exceptionally convenient, but our proximity to the freeway can have its downside as well. The next time you come to visit, try to reserve a VIEW room as this guarantees you a room overlooking the beautiful courtyard area which may offer relief from the roadway. It also allows you a view of the pool area that you enjoyed during your stay. Thank you again for your review. I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Like most Courtyard hotels, this one is not a high rise building. It has a kind of relaxed feel around it. I like the lobby, cafeteria area where one can have it's breakfast (great granola yoghurt) and where one can watch a bit TV in the evening. It is nothing special, but it is the most modern part of the hotel. Rooms are ok, but a bit dated (and overpriced, but that seems to be the case for all Cupertino hotels). If you move to the San Jose area, you get similar quality hotels for half the price. But from all the hotels in tried in Cupertino, I liked the feel of the Courtyard the best.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
CupertinoCY, General Manager at Courtyard San Jose Cupertino, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Eric d,

I appreicate your writing a review of the property. We are always interested in recieving feedback on our hotel and services. I am glad you enjoyed the Food and Beverage offerings within the hotel and that our hotel is where you like to stay when you are in the area. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

The hotel is well connected to I280 for business. The rooms are clean and comfortable, with all the usual facilities. They are spacious and the beds are perfect for a good night's sleep. Power by the bedside table is a small thing, but something so many hotels seem to overlook! Kudos for remembering we need to use our phones as alarms!

The hotel staff are very helpful and accommodating for all requests. The lobby was a comfortable place to relax with a group of friends and a beer, watching sports.

The gym facilities are basic but going outside for a run is hardly a chore in California.

The only negatives were relating to WiFi and traffic noise. Being so close to the freeway does mean that there is a fair amount of traffic noise on some sides of the hotel. This made it a little difficult to sleep when mixed with jet lag! WiFi speed was also fairly poor even when paying for the upgraded package. This seemed odd when being based so close to big tech companies.

Room Tip: Rooms on the left as you face the hotel reception are quieter as they are further from the freeway.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Richtea86,

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you found the bedside power outlets helpful. I appreicate your mentioning the sluggish internet and am very sorry about your experience. I will have a technician monitor the access points to insure our guests are receiving the best signal possible. I do hope you will chose to stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to the Cupertino area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cupertino
Hilton Garden Inn Cupertino
Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Aloft San Jose Cupertino
Aloft San Jose Cupertino
#19 of 75 in San Jose

Been to Courtyard San Jose Cupertino? Share your experiences!