“May be the best Hilton Garden Inn out there”

Hilton Garden Inn Cupertino
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cupertino
Reviewed 22 June 2014

First things first: Location. Close to I-280 and not far from everything from high-tech to SJC airport, it's convenient. But, though the address is on North Wolfe Rd., you (and especially your GPS) will drive by and miss it if you are not ware it's sole access is actually on Pruneridge! You want to turn north ((left if you are coming off I-280) on Pruneridge, followed by the first left turn.

This property is very popular with consultants, corporate employees, etc. and is often sold out week days; weekend rates can be very low for the same reason (and on occasional weekends may host an event or a youth sports team). You will notice a bright, welcoming property with five floors, and most front desk staff are welcoming and savvy. Derreck, Henry in particular are shining lights among front desk personnel, and Rose in the restaurant in the morning - but ninety-plus percent of the people here are top drawer, warmly welcoming, attentive and knowledgeable.

When you arrive you will notice Starbucks coffee in insulated air pots, another of hot water with an attendant selection of teas (and cps, insulators and tops to go), and a large chilled glass container of water with fruit slices. You will also note cookies / biscuits for afternoon snacks. The lobby is high-ceilinged, bright and spacious, and comfortable (and sparkling clean). Checking in is smooth and fast, and Golds and Diamonds also get two bottles of water. and breakfast chits for their stay.

We were attending an event Thursday evening and were upgraded to a suite when we arrived on Thursday afternoon (intending to leave Saturday). While that was nice, when I had to call 9-1-1 / paramedics on Saturday morning as my wife was taken with sudden septic shock and pneumonia to hospital, things changed radically. After a young woman at the desk that afternoon told me I could not extend beyond Sunday because the property was sold out Monday night, other more senior staff made room for me whilst my wife was in Intensive Care Unit at Kaiser Hospital two miles away - a major convenience for day and night trips to support my wife. I requested moving to a standard King room, they accommodated me at a distressed traveler rate with flexible departure until my wife was transported to our home town by ambulance ten days later. When my sister in law flew out from New England, they accommodated her at the same rate as well. We were blown away with the compassion and support we experienced from almost all the staff here! For that reason alone, this is my "go to" place when in the south Bay Area.

The rooms are typically provisioned with ice bucket, Keurig coffee maker and teas, microwave and mini-fridge, hair dryer and ironing set, Neutrogena amenities. Fifth floor rooms and suites are high-ceilinged. There are no safes, typical for HGI, and in this guests's opinion, the technology oriented guests would probably find them useful. In room Wi-Fi is complimentary and decent. Air conditioning is a bit deficient and not able to cope with the occasional warm day - my room thermostat was set at 60 degrees F (16 C) and in the afternoon the room was 78F / 26F on warmer days. (I reported the air con as not working initially, but came to find out this was what ate central air con was capable of by sampling several rooms). Slightly inconvenient, as the bed covering is always a duvet (fortunately with sheets, and not merely the duvet in a duvet cover)..

It gets better: the breakfast here, complimentary for Golds and Diamonds (USD $12.95 for others), is expanded over what Hilton Garden Inns offer and provides more selections (sometimes ham steak, though I preferred spinach omelets) in addition to waffles, pancakes, French toast, omelets and other eggs made to order. The orange juice is very good, and the coffee is Starbucks Pike Place.

Housekeeping is top level hotel class; these people are thorough and efficient, and if you want for anything, ask. There is a nice outdoor pool and a spa, with a lift for those with mobility impairments - a really great enhancement. The fitness room is bright and well furnished. The Business Centre is furnished with multifunction printer and two PCs, copying is available. There is a Pavilion Pantry with some basic sundries and refriegrated foodstuffs, beverages and some wine. An out door area allows one to sit and quaff a favourite beverage on a cool afternoon, and though the property doesn't serve lunch the dinner offerings are quite decent for an HGI.

The parking lot can get close to filled, so arriving late means searching for a parking space.

All in all, this is a brilliant mid-level hotel with mostly attentive and welcoming staff working it (the exception will hopefully be trained or winnowed; she was sometimes behind the office door talking on the phone or texting, even when a guest might be standing at the check-in counter).

Outstanding were the spaciousness, brightness and cleanliness, extended breakfasts with Rosie serving them, and a largely caring, attentive, welcoming staff more than willing to help a guest out at times of need. I would definitely recommend this property and will stay here again.

Room Tip: The fifth floor just in case "Bigfoot" is staying as well ;). Ask for a room that does not...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jose.k

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This hotel is only 15 minutes from San Jose airport and not within that busy city but well situated among the freeways to get you anywhere you want to go (except at rush hour).
The facility is a bit old but very well refurbished, the rooms large, clean and comfortable (ask for one on the quiet side.
The staff is great and will bend over backwards to help you. The van service is particularly outstanding, and will take you to and from the airport or anywhere else reasonable you want to go.
You can even go to the train station which will get you to San Francisco in a very easy hour, then call for the van when you get back.

If you like oriental food there are plenty of places in a short walking distance, but don't miss the fish and chips at the pub (forget the beer, it's English warm Yuck!). Movies and a mall are a slightly longer walking distance or a fast van ride

Overall, a great place to stay in the Apple area with lots to do and see.

Room Tip: You can get a made to order breakfast if you ask for it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

great service! Stopped off during a road trip. Last minute booking, great location, very clean, plenty of miles and assistance from staff. Teenager friendly. Will return next time in area! Henry at the front desk, AWESOME job!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Very respectable hotel in Cupertino frequented by a captive corporate clientele and those avoiding the even higher prices of Palo Alto. As a member of the Hilton Garden Inn chain gang, it offered no surprises. Check-in was swift, staff was pleasant, cookies were bountiful in the lobby, rooms were adequately sized, sleep-comfort beds with luxury tops were comfortable, my pre-ordered foam pillows were in place, and noise level at night was at a minimum.

The bathroom fixtures functioned well though not all flawlessly. Water pressure was quite low, and it took a LONG time to fill up my beauty bath. Sadly, the tub seal wasn’t 100%, so water leaked slowly down the drain before I gave it the green light. As for soap and shampoo, they were as generic as they come but certainly better than nothing. Sure, I’m always looking for the latest exotic, tea tree and pomegranate oil, bath and facial soap combination in the form of elephant tusks branded by Neutrogena, but normal bar soap, shampoo, and conditioner aren’t going to make me cry.

The breakfast buffet was decent, not delectable. There were two types of congealed scrambled eggs dishes that paled in comparison to the homemade salsa accompanying them. Coffee was strong, and bacon lean and hard to resist. Sausage links were a bit soft, though, Fresh strawberries were a nice touch as was Greek yogurt, oatmeal, and the optional Japanese style breakfast consisting of sautéed vegetables, rice, teriyaki salmon (a bit overcooked), and miso soup (a few too many raw onions swimming on top). There was waffle maker too, but in the three days I spent here, not once did I ever see anyone use it. As a Hilton Gold member, breakfast was free.

While I didn’t use them, an outdoor Jacuzzi and pool were both available. Contrary to website impressions, however, the latter was actually a glorified kiddie’s pool, maybe 20 feet long at most. Had I executed a racing dive of my swim team days, I would have hit the other end faster than you can say, “Let's Photoshop our hotel website pool photos?” Perhaps not coincidentally, the bathtub was quite small too. The only way to lie down was to put my feet half-way up the wall. And I thought my tub at home was small! This one would have made goldfish feel cramped.

For constructive improvement, I would like to see real cream or milk in lieu of those anti-environmental, chemically preserved dairy capsules. And skip the smoking floors – they limit inventory, cause problems, and, quite frankly, are a thing of the past, especially in California, especially for a hotel that showcases a plaque outside its front entrance that this is a non-smoking hotel. Go figure! I would also like to have the option of ordering breakfast a la carte.

For the hotel as a whole, I can’t complain. Yes, I was locked out of my room on two separate occasions, one of which was remedied by an expeditious delivery of replacement keys by the front desk. On the other occasion, I was told that the system had me registered for duplicate reservations, so maybe I was being checked out prematurely. Either way, I hope to think this was an anomaly. Regardless, given the price which hovered near $300 per night including tax, I am hard pressed to give this “perfectly correct” no-frills hotel anything more than four stars.

Room Tip: Even-numbered rooms face inward, away from road. If you're a light sleeper, choose one of these...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Cherry_Wonderdog
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had some issues on a previous visit and the General Manager personally called and invited us back with the promise to rectify the problem. I called the day before we were to travel, they welcomed our call, set the reservation, and we had a great stay. You can't be more impresed when people keep a promise and deliver a wonderful stay. Thanks very much & we will see you again.

1  Thank williejoe777
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is a clean, friendly hotel. We stay here every time we come to Santa Clara for athletic events. the staff is very friendly. The hotel is nicely appointed and has the amenities of a more expensive hotel. The location is great for the area and there is an amazing Chinese dumpling restaurant walking distance away. We have stayed here three times now and will stay here again.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The staff was very helpful and kind. Overall it was an excellent experience. Unfortunately one of my rooms smelled like cigarette smoke. I'm sure it was an inconsiderate guest that stayed there before me.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cupertino
Cupertino Inn
Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
The Domain Hotel
The Domain Hotel
#4 of 33 in Sunnyvale

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Cupertino? Share your experiences!