“Some Improvement Needed”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Cypress
Orange, California
“Some Improvement Needed”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The Hyatt House Cypress/Anaheim is a converted Summerfield Suites Hotel. Compared to the only other Hyatt House that I have been to (in Scottsdale) this is actually a hotel, rather than a motel set-up.

The hotel is on the smaller side, and upon entering the hotel the lobby feels very small and cramped. While at the front desk, merely turning around gets you to the elevator doors.

Check-in was quick and efficient. The front desk agent was friendly and cheerful, and clearly explained all Diamond benefits including the welcome amenity, of which I took the extra 500 bonus points, and the breakfast hours.

I was given a room overlooking the courtyard, which I didn’t think was all that great when I first entered the room as I could hear kids screaming down by the pool. Thankfully this didn’t last too long.

Upon entering the room, the space is open yet welcoming.

To the right is a sofa, chair and table with flat screen TV.

Straight ahead is a kitchenette of sorts with a coffee maker, microwave and small refrigerator. There are plates and dishes for four people.

There is a small dining room table that would have to double as a desk if on a work trip.

One of the lamps had a burnt out light bulb, so the room was rather dark. Even if working, the entire room was rather dimly lit.

There is a set of double doors that separates the living room from the bedroom which is a great feature for privacy and noise issues.

The bedroom is fairly spacious, although it does feel a bit cramped on the side next to the balcony. The bed is comfortable, what you would expect at a Hyatt property.

The sink is separated from the rest of the bathroom and offers very little counter space.

The bathroom itself is somewhat small with a large shower/tub combo, but little room to maneuver otherwise.

There is a balcony that runs along the entire length of the room which can be accessed by either the bedroom or living room. There are two tables, a chair and an ottoman. The courtyard overlooks the small swimming pool.

The air conditioning in the room is not that strong which left the room somewhat stuffy throughout the stay.

Breakfast and wifi are complimentary at all Hyatt House properties. The wifi was fairly quick and reliable.

Breakfast is a madhouse. The breakfast room is rather small with very limited seating. There must have been 75 people when I went down there. There was nowhere to sit and many guests were taking their breakfast back to their room.

Food also ran out quickly but was replaced promptly. There were scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes, congee, fruit, yogurt, cereal, bread, muffins and oatmeal.

Every employee I encountered was friendly. I would definitely stay here again if the need arose. There are many restaurant options in the near vicinity, some of which are within a few minutes walk.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Acton, California
Reviewed 23 March 2014

No aaa discount or senior discount couldn't even apply my company code.not happy.i stayed at the San Diego Hyatt house and the gave me a free up grade do to over booking,so it was very shocking to not get my Entitled discount..best of luck to u and I haven't even got there yet.they messed up my res. 3 times failed to apply my gold member number to earn points .waited on hold for over5 times in 30 min.fixing bed size and adding more guests to my presidential sweet..omg

Room Tip: Presidential sweet is the way to go!!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt House Cypress/Anaheim in early Feb 2014 for an AYSO soccer tournament. Our entire team stayed there and everyone agreed that it was a fantastic value and our stay exceed our expectations, especially when you consider the price we paid for the huge, well appointed rooms.

I had called prior to our check-in to make sure it was OK for us to have a team 'party' in the courtyard, since the girls were going to want to swim all afternoon. Everything wen't perfect and everyone had a great time. They accommodated us any way they could.

This property is ideal for any family and we look forward staying there any time we find ourselves over-nighting in the area again.

Quick points:
The staff was very courteous and quick during our early check-in.
The room was clean and extremely well appointed.
Parking was adequate and the property was fenced on 3 sides.
The morning breakfast was very complete and exceeded reasonable expectations.
Our King Suite was amazing.

Room Tip: You might want extra pillows and blankets for the sofa bed. We were fine with the simple blanket and...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GunninGopher
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I always consider location when reviewing hotels and compare to others in the area in regards to price and amenities. Therefore, The Hyatt House Cypress/Anaheim is a good choice considering the other hotels around Disneyland and the Convention center. Here's the good...
Compared to other hotels in the area, this hotel would be considered very affordable for the star level. It was about 15 minutes from both Disneyland and the Convention center and had a FedEx Office directly across the street (perfect for business) and very convenient. Also, Chili's right next door too! The room was clean and bed was comfortable. However, a little out-dated. I had a kitchen suite (which wasn't really necessary for me) But I could see it a real plus for families with kids. Now the not-so-good...... My room did kind of smell a little (like dirty feet). The carpet was a worn and old. But housekeeping did do their best to make it as clean as possible. The microwave was from 1983 but it still worked so who cares! Bathroom was good, shower clean and modern and everything else was acceptable. Therefore, considering everything, I would definitely recommend this hotel and will plan to stay again next year. Also, the Breakfast spread was awesome and hotel staff polite with great customer service. The internet was pretty good too with no slow speeds. It clipped along pretty good! I give this hotel 4 1/2 stars

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Traveler837457
Pacific Grove, California
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed at this property back in April 2013 for a friends wedding I was attending nearby. I don't recall the names of the agents that checked me in/out, but I do know they were always friendly and willing to help. Even the housekeeper who serviced our room each day was very pleasant to deal with. The room itself was very clean and comfortable.

Some recommendations:
1. On a hot day, when a guest leaves the room with the A/C on, please don't come behind them and turn it off so they have to come back to a hot and stuffy room later. It's uncomfortable to have to wait for the room to cool down again.

2. On a busy weekend, 2 people running the breakfast area is not enough. I had to tip toe my way around the dining room over spilled food and drinks to not get any on my shoes and pants. Unfortunately, it was the poor parenting of several kids that made that place the mess it was. It was all the breakfast attendants could do to try and keep up with replenishing the food.

Overall, it was a great hotel and served its purpose for my trip.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SeaOtt3r
Arizona
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This hotel is a Hyatt brand but is more relaxed and informal than a Hyatt.

We stayed three days including Christmas in room 103, a king suite facing the pool and next to the breakfast room. From the bedroom we never heard a sound, but from the living room we could hear people passing in the hallway. It was the perfect place to be as the breakfast room was quite crowded the first morning so we took our breakfast back to our room.

Pros: The suite was clean and roomy. The kitchen was well equipped for preparing and serving meals. The bed was very comfortable. The queen sized sofa bed in the living room is perfect for young teens and kids. The breakfast selections were good. Complimentary shuttle vans will take you anywhere within a five mile radius.

Cons: The pool is a bit small and is in need of resurfacing. The wifi was slow at times. The Gym is very small. The heater/ac is rather noisy, if you are a light sleeper consider using earplugs.

Breakfast is served buffet style with real dishes and utensils.
Breakfast includes:(the items with a / are served every other day):
Hot items: Scrambled eggs, sausage/ham, potatoes, pancakes/french toast, steamed rice, Asian soup, oatmeal (with several toppings) and multiple choices of bread for toasting.
Cold items: 3 choices of cereal, yogurt, cut and fresh fruit.
Beverages: Apple, orange and vegetable juices, 2% and skim milk, 3 varieties of coffee and hot water for tea or cocoa.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms facing the pool have three foot deep patios that connect with the patio of the...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank aztravel80
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stay at Hyatt Regency and Grand Hyatt when on Biz travel. So figured this extended stay hotel would be okay. Was I wrong !!! Stayed there for 4 days during Christmas Holidays and what a disappointment. The hotel's infrastructure is incapable of handling the guest load:
1) The free WiFi usually said "too many people logged in" when I tried in the evenings
2) The breakfast buffet room was too small, over crowded with long wait line. And they kept running out of clean dishes (um, anyone thought of running down to Walmart to buy 50-100 more dishes?)
3) The AC system is noisy, both in my room and I could hear the next door's AC when it kicked on. Woke me up during the night.
4) The plumbing system had issues. In the AM, I went to the bathroom to take a shower and the tub was filled with about 2 inches of sewage water---apparently the drainage system backed up.

The hotel staff were responsive to my calls and requests. It's just concerning that I had so many issues during my short stay. And I had to request them to move my room when the bathtub drain backed up. As I needed to shower and get to a meeting, so I couldn't wait for maintenance to snake the drain and housekeeping to clean up the bathroom.

This is extremely disappointing for a hotel with the "Hyatt" name on it. When the front desk asked me how my stay was when I was checking out, I told them about some of the above issues. Instead of apologizing or trying to salvage a poor customer experience, the staff basically said " Oh, that's unfortunate".

Room Tip: Lot of 4 star hotels in Irvine, Costa Mesa, Newport that are better value for money.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank gsbmst
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cypress
Hampton Inn Los Angeles / Orange County / Cypress
Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim Resort – Convention Center
Courtyard Cypress Anaheim/Orange County
Hyatt House at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center
Hyatt Place at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center
Hyatt Regency Orange County
Hyatt Regency Orange County
#2 of 19 in Garden Grove

Been to HYATT house Cypress/Anaheim? Share your experiences!