“Variety at a low price”

Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
San Francisco, California
“Variety at a low price”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Dining at Kome on a weekday is super cheap for the variety of choices from sushi , sashimi , tempura , not to count the other cooked food it offers . For gourmet enthusiast , Kome is not for you. It is buffet so for the price you pay at $13 and $23 on week end , the food is just fine . Ambiance ? theres none , it is run of the mill buffet place.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank pearl254

• Korean first
Sacramento, California
“BAD SERVICE, BUGS”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

***IN A NUT SHELL -- RUDE, POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, CHAOTIC, OK FOOD, BUGS, BUGS, BUGS***

See Below For More Details

***Be Warned***...if you want to enjoy your meal, ***DO NOT COME HERE!*** First, the place is like a zoo. It's a long wait to get seated. I've been to many restaurants and buffets and have waited before without any problems, but here it is not orderly. You come in and get a number and numbers are called out of order. FIRST problem we experienced was getting our number called. After waiting a while, we went to the lady at the front and asked about our number. She said that they already called it and since we missed it, we will have to wait again. Of the 5 people in our party, no-one heard our number and we were waiting near the front where she was standing. They also scream numbers out of a megaphone, so how do you not hear your number being called? The lady was very rude, unfriendly, and ignoring us. Wow, what poor customer service! Then, we finally get seated at a table in the back corner. SECOND problem, the line to the food was so long and stretched all the way to where our table was and we had people standing right next to our table. Felt very uncomfortable to eat while having people stand right next to the table waiting to get their food; also very hard for us to get in and out of the table. THIRD problem, did I say it is a zoo there?!! OMG, Asians love buffets. The line to the food was outrageously long, felt like I was at the airport. Some of the food was not made fast enough for all the people there. FOURTH problem, the area of our table had bugs all over the corner wall, flying on our food. Now how does one eat with these bugs flying around???!! We took pictures and videos of this. FIFTH problem, when the employees were informed of the bug situation, all they can say was that they did not have anymore tables. The workers didn't even have the decency to go check the problem. Now that is just RUDE and POOR SERVICE! With all these bugs flying in our food, we couldn't take it anymore and talked with a third person who was a waitress and asking her for the manager, she said she was the supervisor and finally we were moved to another table immediately. Their excuse of no other tables was a complete lie. They didn't want our party of 5 to sit at a tablet for 8. OMG. After we moved to another table, we saw the waitress wipe the wall area (using rags they use to wipe the table) where the bugs were and then another party was seated at that table. The food was ok, not anything exceptionally great that dealing with all these problems was worth it. ***DO NOT COME HERE! *** BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE ***

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank Anon Y
Boulder, Colorado
“Questionable sanitation”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This restaurant was formerly Todai, which I enjoyed immensely. Todai had good service, was clean, and had reasonably good quality sushi and hot items. I was disappointed to learn that Todai had closed. Since I visited the Bay Area so infrequently, I decided to give Kome a chance.

We went there on a Tuesday evening (~ 7 pm) and were ushered immediately to a table right next to the entrance even though plenty of other tables were available. I was upset first, then quickly became grateful. Why? Because when I ventured deeper into the restaurant to get my food, I became increasingly aware of a peculiar odor that appeared to be a mixture of urine, food, and garbage. Thus, being seated next to the entrance with a fresh breeze was really a blessing in disguise. If you're seated next to the restroom, the stench was unbearable. Further, the floor looked like it's been through 3 monsoon seasons without mopping. It's simply disgusting.

The sushi and nigiri were slimy, loaded with salt, and high in MSG. After the meal, my fingers swelled up like those of Pillsbury Doughboy. If you need to get sushi, try the sashimi (sliced raw fish--no rice--without the added sauce), hand rolls, and the unadulterated nigiri (without sauce, at the end of the sushi section). I did not try the hot items because the line was long and competitive. "Valuable" seafood such as clams, oysters, and crab legs were gone within minutes. My husband fought through the crowd to get clams, oysters, and crab legs. He said clams were good, crab legs were fine, and oysters not worth it.

The dim sums were touch and go. The shumai (pork dumplings) were decent. The har gow (shrimp dumplings), peach-shaped red bean buns, and red bean paste-filled mochi were very bland, in my opinion.

With regard to desserts, it's a matter of personal taste. Most desserts were bland; however, the flan (looked like creme brulee in a ramekin) was surprisingly tasty. The highly acclaimed mango ice cream was tasteless, but unoffensive.

With regard to the service, I'd learned from the web that they never refill the drinks. I was wrong. The service was very attentive. They gave us tons of extra napkins and asked to refill our drinks every 20 minutes.

Take-home message? No bias. If I were in the age group of < 35 and could eat a lot, I think this would be a restaurant with a great bang for the buck. Unfortunately I'm not. Another note of caution is that I've travelled extensively through many countries and have eaten in countless stands in foreign countries in which the food was prepared with questionable sanitary standards. I still find the sanitary standards of Kome to be worrisome. If you're going to an important business meeting the next day, do not eat raw food at Kome.

Overall, I would prefer chains like Olive Garden, Chili's or Applebees over Kome just because of the sanitary conditions. Preference for food is extremely personal and varies quite a bit, so please try it for yourself. But for me personally, I would not return to Kome because of the fear of becoming sick.

• Visited June 2013
6 Thank Gina T
Westminster, Colorado
“Very crowded, but very good”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

You know you're at a good sushi place when it's full of asian-americans.

This place was a great deal. $15 for 2 hours of all-you-can-eat sushi/japanese food. I stuck to the sushi.

The restaurant was extremely crowded, so it was hard to maneuver between tables. Additionally, the women's bathroom had 2 broken toilets (out of 5) and always had a long line. And it was gross-dirty, but there was always someone in them cleaning, so that was good.

The sushi was pretty fresh and there was a good variety. Definitely a good value.
The table service wasn't so great, but it was a buffet...and the server seemed to be covering a HUGE section of the very full restaurant.

If you're looking for cheap sushi but want a lot of it, this is a very good bet.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Amanda B
San Francisco, California
“Crowded But Good”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Kome is a good value.....if you don't mind crowds. Getting there early for lunch and dinner is a goodf idea. Their sushi selection is great and their hot food table food is fresh. Their roast duck is yummy!

The only difference between Kome and Moonstar is the desserts and the drinks. Moonstar's desserts are way better and soda comes with your meal. At Kome, the desserts are nothing great and sodas are an extra charge.

Parking is convenient at Kome so if you wanna eat and catch a movie, it's one stop shopping!

Visited April 2013