“Excellent trails and riding on the ocean”
Review of Mar Vista Stables

Mar Vista Stables
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We rode at this stable on October 10, 2013, perfect weather and sunny day. Steep trails down to the beach might intimidate some beginner riders but we thought it was fun. Riding on the beach and in the water was wonderful! I just wish the ocean ride had been longer than the trails down to the beach.

We would ride here again, no question about it. Stable/ranch hands and guides were friendly and one of my best friends was a tabby cat who plunked himself in my lap while we waited for a group of beginners to get on their horses.

There has been some negative reviews here and this is what I have to say about that. The horses were under shelter, had loosened saddles on but no bridles on. We saw the same thing when we drove by Seahorse Ranch, except they had their bridles on and we did not see any groups waiting to ride.

Yes this place could use some cosmetic improvements, some of the tack was more than well used, but this is a hack stable. You are not renting Grand Prix dressage horses, these horses have been kicked, jabbed, had their mouths hauled on and the like by the many inexperienced riders that have gone here to ride.

One tip I will give you is if you are an experienced rider, don't blab about that to the ranch help or wear, like I did, a sweatshirt with a sign indicating I am not a beginner because you will end up with the stubborn ones, the ones who want to go where they want to go and so on.

I would have given this place five stars if they made their ranch look more appealing and not run down. They don't charge much for the wonderful ride and scenery you get and horses are not cheap to have (feed, vet shots, shoes, help to clean stalls and pens, replacing tack) so I don't think this owner is making a million dollars from his business.

All in all, we had a lot of fun and would go here again!

3  Thank Cookie J

Reviewed 3 August 2013

We went to Mar Vista Stables today and had a fantastic time!!! I brought my 14 year old daughter and her friend to ride, for my daughter's Birthday. The staff was excellent, Junior was our favorite~ professional, helpful and kind. The horses were beautiful, healthy and gentle.
We were treated kindly by all. I can't think of a better way to spend a Birthday. The scenery was amazing!!! I would recommend this stable to all my friends. I've been riding for over 34 years and look forward to my next visit to Mar Vista Stables :)

Additional comment~ In regards to a few of the other reviews... I NEVER saw any sign of abuse. The horses were healthy and happy. The worker's were very kind to us. We rode with a group of 15 total riders. Everyone had smiles on their faces :)

1  Thank Linda A
Reviewed 3 November 2012

When we arrived at the Stables on a recent Tuesday morning, we just stood there. No one greeted us for a few minutes. They just walked around us. A tall, young gentleman finally acknowledged the two of us. We smiled at him and said we would like to go for a ride. Looking very put off, he just pointed to clipboards with paperwork and said, "Sign those." He walked away and went into the office. Once our paperwork was signed, we just stood around again until a wrangler came out of the office. A few people were getting the horses ready and we told them that we never rode before, and how happy we were to be there... but they all just seem uninterested. They put us on horses, gave us basic instructions and off we went. I do have to say other than the staff, the ride was FANTASTIC! The scenery alone was to die for! We rode down narrow paths at a slow pace. The wrangler infront of us, I don't believe he spoke english or very little. The wrangler behind us was a very nice young girl. She talked the entire way and even offered to take alot pictures of us with my camera. She was really Great! (And thank god for her! She made up for the rest of the staff) Again, breathtaking views, riding a horse on the sand along the ocean, mountains in either direction, weather was perfect... it truly was priceless! And the horses were great, even though mine seemed a little old. I felt bad for him, but the wrangler assured me that all the horses were really taken care of and that they put the horses well-being before all else like weather, customers... etc. So that made me feel good. Once the ride was over, another wrangler (older woman) held my horse and told me I could get off. We were in sand, so when I got my right leg over and down to the sand, I kind of hopped a few times trying to get my balance and left foot out at the same time. The woman yelled at me and said "whoa, whoa, whoa...you know what your doing?!" Being it was my first time getting off a horse, and losing my balance in the sand... I think I did alright. She looked annoyed and was kind of rude towards me. But driving away... we talked about going back to do it all over again the next day, but unfortunately, we never made it back. If ever on the west coast again, I would definitely go back there just for the experience of the ride, horses and views... I would just know not to expect too much from most of the Staff.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

We reserved a ride two days before the date (it's not possible to do it before then).

We made our way from Palo Alto in order to be there at 8 am a Monday morning (~45 minutes in heavy traffic). When we arrived we were not greeted by anyone.

The wranglers were hanging around in the stables; they took us to the house where our guide, a young woman in her early twenties, was apparently not fully awake yet. She was surprised to see us because it had been raining during the night and she thought we wouldn't come!

We started filling in paperwork when a guy arrived from inside the house, telling us that the ride would not happen, because of the rain the previous night (they "needed to check the trails" and the girl "might catch a cold").

When we asked why they didn't call, the guy said, in an aggressive tone "well, would you have wanted me to call you at 1 am when it started raining?" Yes, dude, that's why we have voicemail.

Anyway, this is incomprehensible; I have taken rides in many parts of the world, under all kinds of weather. Besides, this was supposed to take place on the beach, which has water, rain or shine!

Other than that the installations don't look good or well maintained and the horses don't look happy or too well fed. Avoid if possible.

5  Thank therealbambax
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We called ahead to ask if the pony rides were available and they said yes. We showed up and they didn't have the ponies out and were painting the corral and wouldn't be having pony rides today. The lady then rode off with a group of adults on the beach. My 3 year old daughter was devastated. Once she started crying, the guys painting the fence sighed, stopped painting and went and got a pony and hooked it up. She was SO happy and appreciative of the "cowboys." It was a $10/10 minute ride, I gave them a $20 for their efforts to make a little girl happy. It really meant a lot to us that they made it work out.
(The minus one star is because they "front of the house folks" who seemed not to care they gave me bad info.