“Great restaurant to meet with friends”
Review of Joe's of Westlake - CLOSED

Joe's of Westlake
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: John Daly Blvd/Lake Merced
Transit: Just minutes away from the Daly City BART and CalTrans bus lines. Taxis can be phoned in upon request for your assistance.
Description: Joe's of Westlake is a landmark restaurant started in 1956 by Bruno Scatena and is still family owned and operated. We provide the best in classic Italian-American cuisine in a comfortable environment. Enjoy a reasonably priced cocktail poured by our experienced bartenders while taking in the sounds of live music in our lounge. From the moment you walk in, the aroma of delicious food and unique "Joe's decor" will take you back to a simpler time. We know you'll love us. We can accommodate parties of up to 60 people and we have plenty of free parking. We are the ideal venue for your special occasion. We have an exhibition-style kitchen and invite guests to sit at the counter and watch the unbelievable show performed daily by our hard-working cooks. Too busy to cook, Joe's provides to-go service for all of your needs.
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Yesterday, I had lunch with four of my close friends. Great place to meet and have a good lunch. There is no rush to finish eating. The open face roast beef was great. I could cut the meat with a spoon. If you know what to order, most of the food is very good.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I eat, and have been eating at Joe's for years now. It's a kitschy kinda place, a definite throwback to the 1950 large Italian family dinners, but this one also has a bar with entertainment. I love their veal picata and while it's different in a less classy, but more quantity sort of way there is no better combo when combined with their wonderful sourdough bread to sop up all that juice/gravy, and for $20 it's really enough for two! On this particular evening I was recovering from the flu and really wanted soup ... their minestrone and after getting it I had to wonder why I don't get this more often ... well the truth is I love the veal and can't eat both. This version of minestrone is not a clear broth with crunchy vegetables, it's more a hearty gravy/ broth that is rich and filling, again with that bread to clean up that bowl ... HEAVEN! This is a popular place with the 50+ crowd and packed on weekends and evenings at dinner time. Avoid the rush and go before 5:00 p.m. Also to me there is nothing more fun than sitting at the counter. On the far side you can watch the cooks FLAME up the dishes, but noting beats sitting in front of the grill on a cold night ... FUN HEARTY FOOD!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Wonderful meal. Veal was delicious, salad very good, nice wine. Great bar. Hospitality was very good. We will return.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Visited Joe's for the first time today. Joe's has a reputation dating way back... but am not sure they have dusted the light fixtures or vacuumed the upholstery since their heydey in the 60's. We didn't order food after looking around for a few minutes. There were flies inside the restaurant. A busy wheeled a two-tiered cart of dirty dish tubs past our table. There was a pronounced greasy funky odor as he walked by. Didn't feel safe eating there. Just finished our drinks and scrammed.

1  Thank CandaceBritt
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Went to Joe's of Westlake this past Thursday, Oct. 10th. Looked like a great place from the outside, the parking lot was packed and so was the restaurant. It reminded me of a restaurant from the 70's and was in need of an update. We had drinks in the bar and were seated quickly. My salad reminded me of lettuce soup with ranch dressing and thawed frozen veggies. My filet mignon brochette was charred beyond being edible and my boyfriend's New York steak was so tough he kept spitting it out. YUK! I sent my food back and it came back too rare. Our waiter knew we were not pleased (because we let him know nicely) and sent the Head waiter to see if there was anything they could do. Thankfully they did not charge us for our meals which is NOT what we were hoping for, but under the circumstances feel they did the right thing. Would we go back? Probably not, but I think it's time for a visit from Robert Irvine.
RRD