“Unexpected pleasure!”

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
Syracuse, New York
“Unexpected pleasure!”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We needed a moderately priced hotel in Dana Point to be convenient to the harbor and services we needed. Dana Point Harbor Inn was suggested, and we made the reservations sight unseen. We were delighted with the location--on Harbor Drive, right around the corner from the entrance arches to the city of Dana Point and within walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc.. The room was super roomy, with a convenient dressing area separate from the rest of the room, a good sized refrigerator, and a handy place to sit.. The hotel also provided a decent breakfast buffet each day.

Room Tip: We wanted to be able to park right outside our room, so requested a first floor room.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JoAnne48713

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I was appalled when reading how many times this place has run a scam with people's credit cards! I am in the process of a dispute with them myself.
I booked the room for 2 nights for December. When I called to cancel/change the dates, was told I didn't have a reservation for December, but for September and was charged on my credit card. When I called the front desk, they said. " Unfortunately, I didn't cancel in time, and there was nothing they could do!" Can you believe this??? It was their mistake. The front desk booking agent is Samira and she just doesn't take responsibility for this. I got the runaround from her saying she had to talk to her manager MO. Well, apparently MO is never there, nor does he return calls, and you cannot get an answer from these people.
They are not professional. They put you on hold on the phone, and tell you so and so will call you back.
I called my credit card company and filed a dispute. What a scam!! They don't e-mail confirmations or send you anything so it's their word against you and you will get unexpected charges!
I would say, you can stay there only IF you walk in there and get a room for the night. But anything other than that, and your credit card is not safe with them.

I have been dealing with now for 3 weeks!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Janelle A
San Clemente, California, United States
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Lets get real people and stop complaining. Its just for a temporary stay. The front desk agents do what they can. There is housekeeping and a maintenance man who keep up the property daily. Theres a bed, shower, toilet , fridge and a T.V. Basic necessities! If you need extra towels, soap, coffee the front desk will happily provide more. I know for a fact that the front desk agents are hospitable and friendly. They greet and accomodate you as much as possible. Theres a great complimentary continential breakfast with delicious chocolate chip muffins. No its not the Ritz or any other 5 star hotel but if youre just looking for a place to sleep at night Dana Point Harbor Inn is definately a great option. The beach is directly across the street, behind the Inn is many restuarants and fast food spots for quick and easy meals. Going south on the PCH leads you to San Clemente and north along PCH leads you to Laguna Beach. Bus and Metro are very close and easily accessible. Yes they charge a refundable deposit and yes if there is damage or missing items like towels or sheets they will charge you. But if you owned a hotel wouldnt you. In todays economy this is a very affordable place to stay and If you decide to listen to all the negative and dramatic comments to not stay here then there is a great Marriott up the street for $250.00 per night

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Dyana P
Corona, California, United States
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Bathroom sink pipe was broken, as a courtesy I attempted to clean as mush as I could. THEY CHARGED ME FOR STAINED TOWELS!!!! Then the runaround began when I called them after I got my c.c. statement.

Room Tip: Just dont stay here!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Danielle N
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 19 October 2011

This stay felt like a motel. The area is nice, but this place makes you feel like you are not in CA. First, let me start by saying that the bed sheets need to be replaced with new ones, ours were very old. The bathroom had mold, the remote was old and had tape securing the cover on the back. The towelused as a floormat in the bathroom was nicely folded and was DIRTY.Oh and let's not forget the broken water faucet . The place was literally a pit stop. The carpet was also filthy. The reps at the front desk did not even greet us in the morning as we ate the lousy breakfast which was surrounded by fruit flies thanks to the extremely ripe bananas they offered. NEVER AGAIN will we stay here.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank itzamaritza8888
Champaign
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We stayed here one night while driving from Vegas to San Diego. Excellent location, very safe and very good room. Free wifi, Free breakfast, coffeemaker. The price was right and we enjoyed our stay. Walked across the street to spend time at the park and enjoyed the view of the Pacific Ocean from there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank randykay10
Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed 12 September 2011

First of all. The smell. It smelled like someone peed on the carpet then hosed down the room with 409. And we had 7 total rooms in out group, and they were all the same, so it wasn't just our room. You could smell it even standing outside the room.

They wouldn't let me check in because the name was under my husband's first name, same last name.

The pool was dingy looking. Didn't tempt me to go in at all.

The ice maker wasn't working the whole time we were there.

Not worth the $150 we spent at all.

The pluses? There was a fridge. Free parking. Continental breakfast. Location (very close to Doheney State Beach, where we were going to a music festival.)

Room Tip: Ask for a king bed.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends