“Ripped off”

Dana Point Harbor Inn
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I was overcharged for my stay. My credit card was charged for an extra reservation that I did not make. Management was not helpful and I never got this resolved. I finally had to call my credit card to dispute the charges. Besides the financial damage..... the hotel was old and dingy. The stairwell caught on fire during our stay. The police showed up quite a bit over the weekend. We did not feel safe.

• Stayed: September 2013
6  Thank Aimsterz

Reviewed 11 November 2013

So, roommate decided to have a party last minute and I ended up getting a hotel since I had to work early the next day. Did a little hotel hunting and found this hotel on Orbitz for a pretty cheap rate... unfortunately, I did not read reviews prior to my check in so I was travelling blind...

I made my reservation at 5:00pm and came to check in at 7:00pm... not the best check in experience... Two of my front desk pet peeves happened during check in.

First... long check in process. I get it, there is a lot of information to cover with arriving guests. However, if you know there is a lot of information, why do you have long stretches of silence during the check in process? For example, tell me about the breakfast while the credit card authorizes not after the authorization went thru... and speak clearly, don't mumble "for incidentals" when I give you my card, it makes me think you are being shady.

Second... reservation not set up. I understand that I booked a last minute reservation; but you already have my reservation confirmation (I know because you just showed it to me)... do I really need to wait for you to find the Orbitz email with the credit card number? Most (if not all) PMS systems have the option to set up a re-route of the room charges and authorize incidentals only so that you can check the guest in quickly and then return to take care of the rest of the reservation after the check in has been completed.

So once my check in was complete, I was given my room key and sent off... First impression of the room... large room (#210), a little old fashioned as far as the decor (LOTS AND LOTS of floral print) but has all the basics (table, dresser, tv, nightstand, bed, etc)... really spacious bathroom set up with separate sink and shower area, a huge plus.

Unfortunately, after a few minutes the sparkle fades and the rust comes to the forefront... the towels are really think and borderline scratchy, someone installed the wrong toilet seat, the shower head is too low (I'm 5'9 and it was at shoulder level), the water pressure was fine but the temp control was annoying (had to play with it for a while to get the right temp), there was a weird stain on the door and the remote control did not work (and no, I was not able to get it to work even with the front desk instructions).

It may seem like it was a horrible experience... but at the end of the day it wasn't. For the money they charged it was passable... Would I book it again? Maybe, if the price was right. Would I recommend it? Only if you are using it as a base for your travels and don't plan on spending a lot of time at the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank deanvalens
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here Oct.10-13,2013. Rock- hard bed, faucets backward,shower either scalding or freezing, mold in shower, outdated furnishings from the 1970's. Smokers outside a "non-smoking room", I called the front desk to see if we could check- out after one night- they said no- because we booked online and paid for two nights. Never again- this place is dirty and outdated- needs to be torn down!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Srgal
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed for one night on our way to LA. The room we had was very large and well equipped, including a large bathroom and separate dressing room area as well. The bed was comfortable and sheets were crisp and clean. After reading some of the reviews we were concerned but we didn't need to be.

We found the staff pleasant and helpful and the breakfast was basic but nice. The beach was 5 minutes away along with the harbour with plenty of restaurants to choose from.

We had trouble using the wifi and to be fair they tried to sort this out but only staying one night not sure if they ever solved the problem.

If we are ever passing we would book this motel again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Place is small and clean and good for one night or a couple of nights. We travel most times here for Thanksgiving and are content here. It located right up the road from Doheny State Beach which has stores and restaurants. They have a breakfast buffet typical of small motels or you can go to I.HOP across the street. They are small, only 46 rooms but in a great location for family fun. Room has a refrigerator and a microwave in lobby if you need to warm something up..

Room Tip: In small and older motels I prefer to sleep on 2nd floor and avoid the sounds from above.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Charlie V
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We have stayed at this motel several times in the past and never had any issues - until NOW. My wife called & booked a room on Monday for the next Saturday night (AAA rate) because we were seeing a concert at The Coach House for her birthday. The girl that helped us on the phone was Stephanie, and she was very pleasant. Now my wife is very organized and a stickler for details. She verified the date, room rate, and 48 hour cancellation policy. Stephanie said to avoid being charged we needed to cancel by Thursday (48 hours before Saturday, for the math fans). My wife asked for an email confirmation but Stephanie said the motel was having computer issues so they could not email the confirmation, but she did give us a confirmation number. Later in the week we got a call from the hotel (Stephanie again) wanting to know if we could change from 2 queens to one king since they were running short on rooms. We said sure, as long as the rate was the same. Stephanie said, "of course" so we changed the room. Well, on Saturday evening when we arrived to check in, the male clerk (didn't get his name) said that we were booked for Friday night not Saturday, and since we were a "no show" our credit card had been charged. He said Stephanie was a new employee. The clerk called the manager ("Moe") on his cell phone but the manager said there was nothing he could do about it until Monday. We booked another room for Saturday night, but the rate was almost twice the price. We were running late for the concert so bit the bullet instead of searching for another room at the last minute.

The room itself was average this time (not horrible, but not great), and the shower was awful. It would not remain at any temperature - it would only bounce between scalding hot and ice cold. Perhaps it was just this room - I've never had that problem here before.

On Monday my wife called the motel to see about getting Friday night's charge taken off our credit card. Stephanie answered and said Moe would not be in until 11:00 AM on Tuesday. On Tuesday my wife called again but was told Moe would not be in until 1:00 PM. She called again and finally talked to Moe in the afternoon. Moe asked for our info so he could look it up. He then proceeded to get rude. First of all he did not understand that from Thursday to Saturday is 48 hours. My wife pointed out that Stephanie had stated we had until Thursday at 4:00 PM to cancel the reservation. Moe insisted that yes, we had until 4:00 PM on Thursday to cancel a reservation for Friday. My wife said "but I was told it was a 48 hour cancellation policy" and Moe said "yes". Ok, so if Stephanie told my wife the deadline was Thursday then that should mean the reservation was for Saturday. Moe said "no". He just didn't get it. Then he basically called my wife a liar and said that my wife even called on Friday to say we were going to be late. We never made such a call. Then he said he was there when Stephanie took the reservation and his employee never made the mistake. The motel's website reservation system does not work - you basically have to call to make a reservation (at least to get the best rate). Does he really remember every single call? It doesn't matter, because the truth is Stephanie made a mistake (hey, mistakes happen) but he refused to admit it. Also if they had been able to email us a receipt we would have been able to change the reservation well ahead of the cancellation date. So basically the call ended with Moe calling my wife a liar and refusing to offer a refund. We have disputed the charge with our credit card and let Moe know that they have lost a repeat customer for good, and that bad reviews were on their way. We will not stay here again and will tell everyone else not to either - something that could have been avoided with simply good customer service.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Dave D
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This hotel was a nightmare and I wish I had read more reviews prior to booking. We drove to Dana Point from Arizona and arrived around 8 PM to check in. Once we got our key we walked into our room to find it already occupied, by bugs. Not bed bugs (not that we found anyway) but there were more there than our liking. As we further inspected the room we found a FRENCH FRY in clear view sitting between the bed and the nightstand. After spending about 45 minutes on our phones finding a new hotel, we went back to the front desk to inform the girl we were no longer going to stay here and wanted to cancel the rest of the reservation and get our money back. This is where the story gets interesting. She informed me that she in unable to give refunds and that the manager has to do this. He was not working that night but she stated he should be in around noon tomorrow. She said she would email him my name and contact information asking him to get in contact with me. I did not have a good feeling about this so we went back to the hotel on Thursday to talk to the manager and to my surprise (or lack there of) he is not there. This place apparently only has one person who can make financial decisions and he comes in when he wants to. Long story short, I attempted to contact the manager every day of our vacation and every day I was told he is not here today. It's obvious why this hotel is so poorly maintained and barely operational. There are no decision makers that can handle any type of dispute. Almost a week after our original check-in date and I still have not been contacted by a manager despite my best efforts of calling every day. If you ignore these warnings and book with this hotel I wish you nothing but the best, you'll need it. I am currently working with my credit card company to dispute the charges with this hotel, attempting to get my money back that they stole.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Capistrano Surfside Inn
Capistrano Surfside Inn
#6 of 12 in Dana Point
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to Dana Point Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!