“Had to go back for more!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mahe

Mahe
Ranked #24 of 143 Restaurants in Dana Point
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Cuisines: Seafood, Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Golden Lantern
“Had to go back for more!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I traveled here from Colorado less than a week ago and during my stay at The Ritz Carlton, the lady at the front desk recommended Mahe once I told her that I was in the mood for good sushi. It was the perfect recommendation. I went friday night and tried the Rain Sushi which was oh so good! The lady taking my order new I was a tourist and treated me very warmly and was very attentive so I wouldn't recommend "skipping this one" as someone else has stated. I went back for more the next day since I was flying out of LAX and wanted something tasty for the road. The same lady served me from the night before and even asked questions about my stay at the Ritz. I was pleasantly surprised to know she had remembered our conversation which meant a lot. My only complaints are that it took them FOREVER (about thirty min) to bring my food out for a small order of sushi on Friday which I had ordered To Go and on Saturday when I asked the server what type of fish was in the fish tacos, she wasn't able to tell me.

Overall, the portions are very filling, very flavorful, the service was good, and it's a nice environment. You've got to try it!!

• Visited June 2014

Cleveland, Ohio
“Awesome Happy Hour”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went to this restaurant for happy hour while visiting Dana Point. The happy hour menu was extensive, reasonably priced, and delicious, at least int terms of the items we ordered (sushi, mahi sliders, and veggie tempura). We sat in the outdoor heated patio - wonderful ambience. Service was friendly and prompt. Would definitely return next time we are in the area.

• Visited May 2014
Laguna Beach, California
“Skip this one”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

If you are suspected to be/look like a tourist, be aware.

Based on our recent experience: went there for a Happy Hour during the weekend. Servers could care less about us. They were busy catching up. Our server got annoyed with the new guests at her table, and we paid a dear price for invading her territory.

To our disbelief, we were given not one, but 3 dirty items to use with our yet to arrive food: sauce plate, a serving plate and a fork. We are not talking about the water/soap spots on them; they had dried up food particles. Only the sauce plate was replaced, and we were left to live with the dirty fork and plate. That leads me to believe that it is absolutely normal there. Maybe they can't afford a new dish-washing machine.

Now, consuming food prepared there can be hazardous to your health. Addressing the issue with the manager would not make any difference. He is used to complains.

We had an order of sushi and chicken skewers from the Happy Hour menu. Sushi was bland but edible, but chicken was sent back, as it was barely warm. Their manager said that they supposedly made it to order, so he played the surprise card as to why it was cold from the inside, especially after being under the heating lamp before it was delivered to us.

Verdict:

Stay away from eating there due to the health risks caused by the undercooked food and sanitary conditions of this facility. Dana Harbor offers a variety of other restaurants without the disappointing "trimmings". This place has no views, no service etiquette and god knows what is going on in the kitchen. Be safe.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Kiki B
Galesburg, Illinois
“old sushi doesn't cut it”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I'm not an expert on sushi, but I've had sushi from grocery stores all the way up to the most expensive restaurants over the past 20 years, so I do have some idea of what is expected. Unfortunately, the sushi this evening was not expected - or good. I only ordered salmon sushi due to previous gastrointestinal issues - especially with mackerel. I will say now that I did not become ill. However, the sushi was clearly old. It was dried out (red and splitting), and was soaked in soy sauce before it even arrived. I have never experienced that before - and the rice was falling apart because of it. I couldn't even taste the salmon. It was also the most expensive sushi I have ever eaten: $12 for 4 pieces! Plus $5.50 for a bowl of mediocre miso soup. The service was fine, which is why this review is not 1 star.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank starlinggirl
Billingshurst, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere and great food”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

What a lovely restaurant - really buzzing - great atmosphere, friendly service and some fabulous food - we had lots of sharing plates and didn't get a bad dish amongst all the ones we tried. We also appreciated the way they looked after our young grandson and made us all feel welcome despite the fact that it is clearly mainly a thirty somethings hangout.

• Visited February 2014