It's a shame such a grand property with beautiful facilities could be so easily marred by poor service.
We checked in Christmas Eve weekend. Check in was smooth thanks to David, the front desk manager. He took care of us efficiently and was eager to help us find the room we desired.
Our service at Stonehill Tavern was equally outstanding. The restaurant is under new management and it clearly showed. Service approached perfection and was absolutely flawless.
Unfortunately things went quickly downhill from that point forward.
1) Requested ice for our room, but a full hour went by with no delivery.
2) Called the resort services number back to check on the status. 45 minutes after that, we finally had ice delivered. An hour and 45 minutes to deliver ice delivered! I've never experienced such a failure in service in all my years of travel.
3) On Christmas day, we had a late dinner at Motif. We were seated at 8:45 and it was 9:00 PM when the manager approached us. He was surprised that we were seated with no menus and asked us who seated us. No apologies but we were glad to finally be acknowledged. When we finally did get a waiter, we ordered a simple salad and a hamburger off their limited post buffet menu. Food was not delivered until 10:00 PM, 30 minutes after the restaurant had closed! It was one of the worst service experiences we had ever experienced of any hotel, let alone one that is supposedly of 5-star caliber.
What shocked me about this stay was the complacency of the staff when service has clearly not lived up to the St. Regis standards. No apologies or explanations nor any effort on management's part to make good after the fact.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our AAA Five-Diamond resort overlooks the Pacific and offers private beach club access, with watersports, oceanfront golf, award-winning Miraval Life in Balance Spa, swimming pools, upscale dining, activities programs and more. Located in Dana Point, the resort offers easy access to a variety of Southern California attractions including Catalina Island, Dana Point Harbor, Laguna art galleries and events, Disneyland and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Monarch Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. Regis, Monarch Beach Hotel Dana Point
- St Regis Dana Point
- St Regis Resort Monarch Beach