“more like a Sheraton, less like a St Regis”

Monarch Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
San Jose, CA
“more like a Sheraton, less like a St Regis”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

- Front desk: Very nice check-in and warm staff
- Concierge desk – average at best
- Breakfast – Food average; Service: good, for an average hotel. Our expectations at a higher-end hotel is for it to be better
- Breakfast on the lawn on Mother’s day and main restaurant was for Mother’s day brunch – Service: Poor; Food: Average
- Room service meals: They say 40 minutes but each time took 40 minutes or more; quality of food would have been average for a 4-start hotel and poor for a St Regis
- Pool – There was a family pool and the main pool – Other than the view, the pools and the lounging chairs could well have been in a Sheraton or Four Points Sheraton
- Lobby lounge: excellent view, food (light) and service
- Beach: you have a shuttle to take you to the beach. Chairs and towels available there. No loungers or food or drink service on the beach. There is a restaurant that you could get food and drinks from.
- Kids club: this was one of the more disappointing aspects of the stay. They had a tiny kids club but the kicker is it is always closed (i.e., your child, accompanied by you, cannot just go and play there). The kids club stays closed unless you make a reservation at least 24 hours in advance and pay for it. Every other St Regis or other hotels that have kids clusb at least stay open so you can accompany your child and they can play.
- Butler service - Average
- Convention hotel – It has more a feel of a convention hotel as opposed to an upscale resort.
In summary, we have stayed at the Ritz Carlton before and that hotel beats St Regis by a huge margin.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank CAWorldtraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Davidson
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This hotel could have the best service of any I have stayed in. Just a complete pleasure from check-in to check-out. Matt, our bellman, spent several minutes with us giving us tips on local dining, surfing, activities, etc. Hotel is expensive but does not nickel and dime you once you get there, which is unique! Every single employee we encountered was fantastic. The hotel itself is gorgeous. Pool was never crowded and employees knew our family by name after day one. The beach is quite a hike but they offer a tram that takes you there in just a few minutes. Did not feel like an inconvenience at all. Concierge set up surfing lessons for the kids at "Girl in the Curl" which I highly recommend. All in all, I have nothing negative to say about the experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not get a room near the service entrance of the waitstaff on the back lawn. Noisy...
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Such a beautiful place to be even for for just a couple of days. The kids, my husband and I enjoyed the pool and poolside drinks and appetizers. The bed was very soft and comfortable and the room beautifully appointed. Really wish we could have stayed a couple of more days for some relaxation. The fire pits were amazing and the service from the bar was spectacular.

Riverside, California
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were looking for a nice, relaxing place to celebrate my husband's birthday, we decided on the St. Regis, not too far from home, ratings were good. Pleasantly surprised!! Excellent service from the moment we arrived. We arrived a bit early so our room was not ready but we were immediately greeted with cold water, access to the pools, private beach, whatever we wanted. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. We took the tram to the private beach, staff was great, very relaxing, will definitely go back. Gorgeous hotel, beautiful rooms, great pools and private beach. Amazing staff!!!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Perhaps our best hotel experience ever! The hotel itself is fabulous - open, airy, clean, comfortable, beautiful grounds and golf course, but the staff was simply unbelievably - very welcoming, cheerful, helpful, and knowledgeable. It was clear that the St. Regis put a lot of time into training and cross-training the entire staff.

We stay at a lot of nice properties, primarily for professional conferences like the one that took us to Dana Point, and we find many of them to be snobby and pretentious (perhaps to make the regulars feel at home). Not so here. Everyone was fully attentive without being intrusive, and completely unimpressed with themselves or their surroundings. The rooms and amenities were top-flight, from toiletries and robes and slippers put out at turn-down to live and beautiful orchids in the bathroom (and throughout the hotel). The spa fitness center and lap pool area was pampering - lockers with sandals, robes and bottled water (generously provided gratis throughout the hotel and sometimes put in our car by the valet) well-stocked with toiletries, a towel and water at each machine, fresh California oranges and almonds, and ice amply available. Ample fresh ice water (and sunscreen) at the pool and reasonably-priced (for a luxury hotel) food and drink options, to compliment it's expensive high-end restaurant. We really didn't feel like we were being nickel and dimed for things that many high-end hotels charge extra for.

One complaint - there was no coffee provided in the room, but they did p provide a coffee maker for a $35 fee (per stay). As we were there for 6 nights, that didn't offend us, but it would have been irritating for a shorter stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank N B
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I today booked the St Regis Suite at this resort for our 50th anniversary in late August. Thus we have not yet visited the hotel, but I feel compelled to comment promptly on the incredibly wonderful management service we received during our booking.

We needed a luxurious suite on the beach in Laguna, with ADA compliance for my wife who is in a wheelchair. Also, to accommodate my wife's caregiver, we needed a separate bedroom from the living room. My research led me to the Ritz-Carlton, the St. Regis, and the Montage, in that order. All three are gorgeous properties, with superlative accommodations and amenities. I settled on the St. Regis which seemed to have the best combination of luxury, quality, and price.

My initial experience in trying to book the room was just horrific! I spent almost 20 minutes on the phone being shunted between inside reservations and outside reservations, each of them claiming that the other had to arrange my ADA reservation. Twice, I was hung up on, the phone just went dead. On one occasion, the agent from central reservations said that they were unable to book an ADA room, which had to be done by the hotel. She said she would transfer me to the hotel, and when the phone answered, it turned out that I was again connected to yet another agent with central reservations. No one seemed to want to take my reservation. One outside-reservation agent said that to book an ADA room, she was required to send an email to the hotel, and that she would get back to me in a few hours after hearing back from the hotel. I was flabbergasted, outraged and exhausted.

I have no idea why I persisted for so long in continuing to try to reserve a room at this hotel. After all, there are plenty of fish in the ocean. But, at some point, making this reservation became something of a challenge.

I called the hotel one more time, asked for the front desk, and told the lady at the front desk my dilemma. I said I wanted to speak to the manager. The agent said she would transfer me to reservations, and I had images of being sent back to central reservations yet once more.

But lo and behold, to my everlasting surprise and delight, I was connected to Judith, the in-house reservations manager. Judith was rightly horrified by the tale of my unsuccessful efforts to book a room. She took up the cause promptly, fitted the guest to the right suite, and spent a great deal of time on the phone with me. We discussed the details of this particular suite she had in mind for us, she pointed out all of the features of the handicapped bathroom, the roll-in shower, the luxurious quality of the furniture and furnishings, the layout and benefits of the separate living room, etc.

Judith discussed all the features of the resort itself, including the tram to the beach, the Club restaurant on the beach, the spa, and the beautiful grounds to be explored. She booked a reservation for us at the elegant Stonehill restaurant to celebrate our anniversary. And she simply went on and on, for over 40 minutes, trying to do everything she could to enhance our stay.

In all my travels and travails, I have never run across a representative of any business or industry who was as helpful and eager to please as Judith, the crown jewel of the St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort.

Washington DC
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The staff was exceptional, the room impeccably clean and efficient... strong pressure with truly hot water. The pools were lovely. Even the tram ride to the beach was enjoyable. Yes, it is expensive, the drinks are costly, the restaurants, too. But it is the Saint Regis and it's for a certain level of patron. And it was magnificent. I wish I could live at that resort with its sweeping lawns and picturesque sunsets.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Monarch Beach Resort? Share your experiences!