“Great Service with Some Issues with Room”

Monarch Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We have been staying at the St. Regis every summer for the past five years. In past years, service has sometimes been spotty, but this time the service was outstanding!

From the check-in, the bellman, to the servers at Motif, the staff was friendly, polite, and there were several times that they went out of their way to make our experience memorable. They were especially great with our young daughters.

The room, on the other hand, had some problems. We stayed on the third floor with a view of the main courtyard and pool, and the carpet was stained in several locations. On one part of the carpet in front of the television, there was a big stain about the size of a football. In addition, housekeeping was very inconsistent. Turn down service on our first night came at 7 pm, after our kids were already in bed. The second day, the room was not cleaned until 4 pm.

Nothwithstanding these few glitches, we had a wonderful stay. The kids thoroughly enjoyed the pool and the nightly outdoor story reading with smores!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Monarch Beach Resort

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We visited for two nights over the 4th of July. When we arrived we were impressed, It's a beautiful place - especially from the lobby. The service was great the entire time. All of their employees do their best. However, there were many things lacking. Here's the bad:
1. No coffee maker in the room. My husband got up each morning and spent $10 and waited in line for one cup of coffee.
2. The beach was dirty and flies were everywhere. My children, who can spend hours on the beach, asked to leave and go to the beach we were at the day before. I was trying to relax and read while flies flew up my nose. We lasted an hour and a half. There were no towels available until 10 minutes before we left. I had to wait right next to the towel rack in order to get them(I waited 25 minutes). If I wouldn't have been there we would not have had towels - they ran out in 60 seconds.
3. The tram ride to the beach was a disaster area. Small tram that runs about every 25 minutes. We were the first ones that arrived, gave our name to the attendant and almost didn't get a seat because there was no order as to who got on.
4. When we left the beach we decided to go to the pool. I know it's the 4th - but they were so unprepared. There were no seats. The attendant took our name and number and said he would call when chairs opened up - 20 or 30 minutes. We went to Motif to eat and waited on our food for 50 minutes (2 burgers and a flatbread). They never called. We went down and I found the chairs - not the attendant.
5. There's a weird window that can be opened from the bedroom and have a full view of the bathroom. I love my kids, but I do like to take a shower in private.

Good:
1. Fireworks were fabulous.
2. Employees were very nice - however, mostly were so young and inexperienced.
3. Complimentary champagne left in our room on the night of the 4th. However, no note was left so we didn't know it was complimentary and wouldn't have if we didn't ask.
4. Beds are comfortable.
5. Room was clean.

I wouldn't stay here again. For the price we paid we will rent a house.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank cjmaggie
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

First class resort about 100km south of LA in Dana Point.

Everyone working here is super friendly and helpful and professional.

The pools and hot tub are by far some of the best I've stayed at outside of Vegas.

Its a perfect spot and I cannot wait to return.

Only suggestion to mgmt is that the carpets in my room need to be replaced. Too many happy feet of them.

Stayed: July 2014
SRMB, Manager at Monarch Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2014

Dear deanguest,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback! We are please to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and were able to use our pool facilities! Your comments regarding the carpet has been shared with our management team. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This resort is beautiful. The service is unmatched to any other hotel. The rooms are very clean and spacious. The public areas are nice and there always seems to be something to do. You can visit their private beach, private restaurant on the ocean, have a drink at the bar. Outside there are fire pits where you can have drinks or eat. I always feel spoiled when I come here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear SanFranciscoMom,

Thank you for your very kind comments! We truly appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We went to the St. Regis for a meeting in June. The service is the best I have encountered. The staff is friendly and always willing to help. The front desk worked hard to give us our dream room and she did! The lobby views to the ocean are jaw dropping. The beach front restaurant was our favorite, beside the view, the food was great, as was the service. Can't say enough about this resort. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: we had ocean view which I loved! The view of the resort pool is also gorgeous.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Nancy S,

Thank you for your kind review! We are pleased to hear that you were able to experience much that our resort has to offer while here on business. We hope to be able to welcome you back, whether it be for business again or for pleasure!

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We were here for a conference - one of the best properties for service we have experienced. Valet, bellboys, concierge, and housekeeping went above and beyond every day. Hotel provided food for the conference - breakfast each morning, and some of the cocktail receptions, as well as a sit-down formal dinner. Food was excellent - some of the best we've had for large-scale hotel catering.

Pool was quiet and nice; enjoyed the separate pool for little kids, and kept the main pool quiet for adults. Pool attendants were helpful and gracious.

Being SoCal, you do need a car to get around if you want to go off-property. Concierge and valet were very helpful providing printed directions each time we ventured out.

We took the shuttle to the beach just once, because we were busy. The shuttles come often, though we had to wait a bit since the shuttles were full to pick us up. Beach attendants set up chairs, though there are no chaise lounges. This stretch of beach did not really feel attractive to me, not sure why.

Our room was QUIET (getting to be rare these days), and very nice-sized. Bed was very comfortable, and sleep quality was good. Plenty of room to unpack and relax. Bathroom was very luxurious. Appreciated the extra outlets for charging devices that are built int to the table. Turn-down service was on time and welcome each evening. Liked the decor of the room and bathroom.

I would highly recommend this property for your business conference if spouses and families are going to attend. I really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We had a room away from the pool area. I would think the rooms facing "inward" towards the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We are currently staying at the St. Regis over the 4th of July weekend. Let me preface this by saying my husband and I are well traveled. We are Independent travelers and I make all of our travel arrangements in advance.
Last week when I booked our room online, I first booked a resort view room. After reading more in depth about the room set up at the St. Regis, I literally, within an hour of making our reservation, went online and changed our reservation to a pool view king room. Thank goodness I have email and printed confirmation because when we arrived at the hotel yesterday i mentioned to the front desk host that I had requested a higher floor with our pool view room and might we be able to see the fireworks from our balcony?! He proceeded to tell me we booked a resort view room and all the pool view rooms were prepaid and sold out...Houston, we have a problem!
I produced my paper print out of our reservation and he said he needed to go back and talk to his manager about this. After a long wait for him to return with a solution, he appeared and told us they had to move some other guests around and hastily gave us two room keys and no explanation of why our reservation was messed up.
Justin, the bellboy, took us to our room and I quickly went out to the balcony and could tell right away that we got the downgraded "pool view room #581". It should be called the restaurant view room. It's stuck back in a corner far away from the pool. Literally you are looking at the people sitting on the Lobby lounge balcony and they can see you too. The Pool restaurant is below the room and the Motif restaurant is below the lobby lounge and Stonehill Tavern balcony is 20 feet away from our balcony. I'm paying to look at restaurants! And, this room on the south wing does not angle out towards the ocean like the rest of the "pool view rooms" so there is no way we will be able to sit on our balcony tonight and watch the fireworks being shot off just beyond the pool area. Needless to say, I am disappointed because of this mistake the hotel made.
Justin called down to try and get us another pool view room but "none were available". I'm sure there are probably other rooms they could've given us like an ocean view, etc. but they did not offer it to us. They gave us a bottle of champagne to smooth things over, but still I was looking forward to sitting on our balcony tonight and watching fireworks.
Another thing, Justin suggested calling down to the Monarch Beach Bay Club to have them set up 2 lounge chairs and umbrellas since its a busy weekend. So, at 10:30 this morning I called guest services and asked about this, I was told that they didn't take chair set up reservations . It's first come first serve. Ok. So my husband and I walk down to the beach and what did we see... Literally hundreds of chairs set up with names attached, ropes around some. Tables reserved for people! We were shocked since I was just told 45 minutes prior that you couldn't reserve anything. We were lucky to get one of the last umbrellas and they were out of towels.
I understand this is a busy weekend. My husband and I usually roll with the punches, but I feel we did get shafted on the room and I shouldn't be paying for pool view when all I see are restaurants around me!
The hotel itself is lovely. The young folks who work at the pool and beach and Justin, our bellboy, are good hard working kids who are trying to make a crazy busy weekend nice for everyone. The Stonehill Tavern was very good and the service was impeccable. I wish I could say the same about room reservations and the mishap that has occurred for what ever reason.

Stayed: July 2014
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Monarch Beach Resort? Share your experiences!