“misses a pretty easy mark to hit”

Smokey's House of BBQ
Ranked #110 of 145 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Seemed like a new restaurant
Description: Seemed like a new restaurant
San Clemente, California, United States
“misses a pretty easy mark to hit”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I really dont get it ! I have been to this place a number of times and I dont find it to be very good at all. They do show sports and thats a plus and they do have cold beer so I cant dismiss the place completely , but the food is not good at all and dont know anybody who thinks it is. The chilli is watery and tasteless and the hamburger meet not any better , I have had the pork and ribs before and wasnt impressed at all . We are not cheap when it comes to food prices but this place is very expensive . The french fries,beans and mac & cheese are not terrible but not good enough to save the meal and the world famous corn bread is nothing special . Normally I wouldnt be this hard on a place unless the really screwed up but Smokeys has a ton of guts putting this poor quality food out there at these prices and again I would be so harsh but I have been here a few times and nobody in any of our visits thinks its good . BBQ food is pretty subjective and if your fan of this place good luck to you I can think of more than few places within 10 miles that do a better job and charge a lot less the rib joint or the ribs at sun dried tomato's

• Visited January 2014

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“Smoking good meal”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Great smoked dinner menu and fairly priced for the area. Service and noise level were not the greatest.

Visited December 2012
Plainfield, Illinois
“Good BBQ”
Reviewed 5 January 2013

After a long day at Disneyland we just wanted to grab something to bring back to the villa. We had seen Smokey's BBQ and decided to give it a try. We picked up some ribs and pulled pork sandwiches and they were delicious!

Visited January 2013
Laguna Beach
“Excellent BBQ and service”
Reviewed 1 December 2012 via mobile

Smileys opened about 2 years ago. The meats, particularly the pork and brisket, are excellent. The beef ribs are not super.

The sides, beans, macaroni and cheese are my favorites, are super. I think I make excellent from scratch Mac and cheese. Theirs are as good

We've never had room for what look to be good desserts.

Service has always been top notch even when busy.

Atmosphere is large room with muted TVs on sports and a good Pacific Ocean horizon view.

Parking is plentiful.

San Clemente, California
“Good BBQ”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Loved their ribs. Previously I had their brisket and loved that too. The place on PCH down the road a few miles shouldn't even still be in business with this establishment up the road.

Visited September 2012