“Between Good and Very Good after 20 years.”
Review of Chart House

Chart House
Reserve with OpenTable
Chart House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 146 Restaurants in Dana Point
Price range: US$40 - US$60
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, View
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pacific Coast Highway
Transit: PCH/Blue Lantern - bus
Description: From amazing views of the Pacific Ocean & Dana Point Harbor to unparalleled cuisine, Chart House is a feast for the eyes as well as the palate. Savor a seamless blend of fine seafood & steaks, while you enjoy the elegant atmosphere & impeccable service. Since 1961, Chart House has been dedicated to providing the ideal dining experience. With 30 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From top-of-the-catch seafood to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as New Wave Sur & Turf, Macadamia Crusted Mahi & our slow roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines & decadent desserts like our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake.
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We decided to go here 20 years after my wife & I first went there on our first date. We made a reservation for 5:15 on a Sunday for my wife and our 2 children. Valet parking was easy ($5.00) upon checking in with the hostess who was very friendly, we had to wait Apx. 10 mins for a window table which has a very nice view of Dana Point Harbor. The interior of the restaurant is very clean and has not changed in 20 years not that is a bad thing, it’s just that it is in need of a little update. Waiter was helpful, but service was not up to what you would expect for a restaurant of this level. We started with a Calamari Appetizer which was average at best, that included some deep fried veggies which were a little soggy. My wife and I had the 2 different Salmon dishes both were very good and included vegetables and potatoes. (Though not as good as Kings Fish House) My son had the Fillet Mignon off the maim menu with a baked potato, the fillet was very good, but when the plate came it only had the steak and potato, no garnish or veggies, in other words nothing special. My daughter had a very average cheeseburger. We decided to skip the dessert and go to the harbor for an ice cream instead. Overall The Chart House is some where between a good and very good restaurant, but it should be a lot better. It has lost the charm it had 20 years ago.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

The only thing that could possibly keep this restaurant from being THE place to go in the Dana Point area is its name. Somehow "The Chart House" sounds too much like just a regular place. Its name just doesn't have the ring of Chateau Le Deau, Ritz Whatever, or some such other decadent place.
But go there and be overwhelmed by the view, the incredible menu, and fantastic wine list. The servers are attentive and responsive. And did I mention the view and the menu??
Wow. After you park you will be looking straight into one of the most stunning harbor views you could ever witness in Southern California. Arrive early enough to see it during the day and then watch as it sparkles at night.
This Chart House is known for its seafood ... and you will have so many choices of it that you may have difficulty even reading about the the meats. I had the Meyer Baked Sea Bass and my wife the Macadamia Encrusted Tillapia, both delightful. But my daughter had the Mahi Mahi and it was both incredible and unlike any other Mahi Mahi I have ever tasted. Among other things, her fiance had the Clam Chowder. Being from the San Francisco area I am a bit of a Clam Chowder snob. While I could only snag one spoonful of it from him I am certain it is one, if not the best, of all the Clam Chowders I've ever had. I also had the Lobster Bisque. Delightful but it had just a little too much Sherry in it. But if you enjoy Lobster Bisque on the sherry-sweet side it is a real treat, especially because it actually has lots of Lobster in it!
The wine list is not overly long as it fits on one page double-columned. Because it was a special occasion, we started with the Moet Chandon Blanc de Noirs. Then we progressed to the Sonoma Cutrer Russian River Chardonnay. Both were absolutely lovely and perfectly chilled.
We capped the dinner with the Chart House's Mud Pie and fresh brewed black coffee. OMG. We hated to leave.
And while we were there the sun dipped into the Pacific Ocean and the Dana Harbor lights started to twinkle. What an incredibly enjoyable meal, view, along with beautiful ambiance. Someone told me that restaurant was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. So the architecture of the building is unique and really appealing. But check out the ceiling in the dining rooms. Ours was in itself a work of art but I don't see it touted in any of their literature.
I heard that this Chart House was good but I was overwhelmed with it any way you slice it. I cannot wait to go back and I highly recommend it. Price a little bit on the high side for individual selections but they also have combination meals with main course, soup, and dessert (Mud Pie was on it when we were there) for less than most of the individual main course selections alone.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

What an amazing view! We arrived just around sunset and saw the Harbor light up. Spectacular! We sat by a window with server, Justin who was personable, knowledgeable and attentive. He gave us great suggestions. We started with crab stuffed mushrooms-delicious. I had the moistest sea bass I have ever had with saffron risotto. My husband had crab stuffed tilapia with garlic mashed potatoes. Both were luscious. We ended our meal sharing creme brûlée. Looking forward to a return visit.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

we have eaten at this chart house before. the view is always awesome. tonight we had the salmon and the scallops. both were cooked perfectly. the artichoke was great and the oyster rockerfeller was perfect. sometimes when you order oyster rockerfeller there is hardly any oyster and it is all spinach and cheese. this was mostly oyster so it was worth the money. the chart house is not cheap by any means but the meal was worth it. the salad bar is to die for.
our server was Cory and he was attentive and on top of his job. the hostess was pleasant , I think her name was Ivy and at the table next to us we had to witness a rude couple complain about their seating for almost a minute. this young lady handled it great, tried to diffuse the situation and made enough of an impression that we complimented her to the manager. speaking of which the manager came by our table twice to check on things and it was nice to see management making the rounds and caring about the meal and service. good job to all!!

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Great restaurant with an incredible view of Dana Point Harbor, very good service,cool area
for outside seating, and very good menu variety at a reasonable price. Will be back for sure!