“A Good Option In Dana Point”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Tavern On The Coast - CLOSED

The Tavern On The Coast
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Now open for Lunch, Dinner and Brunch on Sunday, the Tavern brings Modern American Cuisine to the California Casual coast community. During Winter season we will be open for private parties and banquets only on Monday and closed for regular diner service. We are great place whether you are a large group, having a family's night out with your kids or are looking for date night or a few drinks at the bar. All of our ingredients are very thoughtfully sourced. All of our meat is prime, our fish is wild and our produce is organic or locally sourced. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Utah
“A Good Option In Dana Point”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

We decided to try out The Tavern On The Coast for a last minute get together. The outside gave the impression that this was going to be a little more pricey than I had anticipated spending. Atmosphere was very nice. We sat outside near the fireplace. You won't want to sit right next to it, but close enough to get the nice bonfire vibe it gave.
The menu was pretty simple: A list of appetizers, salads and main dishes. We started with a few different choices from the appetizer list and ordered our entrees.
Our table all ordered different entrees that gave us a chance to see which was best. Fish & chips seemed to be fairly large. No complaints other than we had to ask for the malt vinegar and got a little cup full. Steak salad was good sized. Steak was good to a medium well perfectly. The cheeseburger was also a good portion. It came with ketchup, but no mustard and was told they didn't have any other than the dijon they brought out—again in a little cup. It came with a baked potato (they called them frys) cut into fourths. We had another salad which seemed to be fine as well. Last dish was the salmon. That was the best looking and most suited dish I would have expected to see in this place.
Overall, nothing was really bad, but it wasn't the experience I was expecting. The prices were higher than normal for this kind of menu (that burger was $16) but that's what you get when you eat near the beach in a non-chain location.
If you go in expecting to pay a little more money for the experience of eating outside with friends with fairly average food, you should like this place pretty well.

• Visited March 2014

SoCal
“unhappy hour”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Decided to go here for happy hour; won't be back. We arrived at 5:30 and were the only customers in the whole place...one wouldn't expect many diners that early, but one would expect some others at the bar. The bartender was very pleasant, but couldn't make up for the lack of energy of an empty bar. We began by ordering martinis, which were fine, but small. Then asked for the happy hour menu and were told they don't have a happy hour food menu and we'd have to order off the main menu. We didn't want a lot of food at that hour, so my husband ordered the pepperoni flatbread and I ordered the chopped chicken salad. The flatbread was really just pizza and nothing special. The salad was downright disappointing, like something from the 70's...chopped iceberg lettuce (or possibly the pale green thick parts of romaine,) chicken that I'm pretty sure came pre-cooked from a bag (complete with fake grill lines,) some bacony-type pieces that I think came from a machine rather than from a pig, grated cheddar and the most insipid/tasteless vinaigrette I have ever had. Aside from the martinis, it felt like a flash-back to the high school cafeteria...v. sad for a "happy hour."

• Visited January 2014
Newport Beach, California
“GREAT RESTAURANT, VERY COOL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

Love the place, very attractive, very comfortable, great service and reasonable prices! Very
good happy hour.

• Visited January 2014
California
“Positive Feedback”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

We love this place! Eaten here several times. We hope they bring back the homemade bread and consider the ribeye supplier/recent seasonings. Love the customer service, attention to detail and how the managers and owners watch everything that is going on to make the diner's experience special. We'll be back!

Visited January 2014
Laguna Niguel, California
“A Find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

Opened just in April, 2013...

My husband & I decided to find a new place we hadn't tried, and I had read some good buzz about Tavern on the Coast in Dana Point, CA ...so that was our destination this evening.

From Stephanie's warm greeting at front of house, to the friendly exuberance of Justin, our server, it was a perfect choice. Lovely venue, rustic California interior, room kept at a perfect temp.

My husband had their fish & chips, and he, being very picky about how that dish is executed, was happily surprised at how good it was. I had one of their evening "specials"-a pene pasta w/ sausage, peppers & onions. A wonderful plateful of comfort food on a chilly coastal California almost winter's evening.

But what really was super yummy was their cheesecake! I wasn't even going to order dessert (plenty of treats floating about this time of year), but when Justin mentioned they do their desserts "in house", and I, being a decent home baker, had to give it a try. Oh my, the cheesecake is just how we love cheesecake-creamy, with just the right amount of tang to set off the richness of the sweet cream cheese. A topping of their locally sourced strawberries was just the perfect complement to the dessert.

The table service was spot on, making sure everything was taken care of seamlessly.

Will we return? Is there any question????

• Visited December 2013