“Eat the atmosphere”

Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, View
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Dana Point Harbor Drive
Transit: Public transit stops in front of the Harbor of Dana Point.
Reviewed 2 May 2013

of classical music and classical French dishes with generous portions and caring service.
Our dishes for five of us were all impeccably prepped and presented, the room is classic and comforting, the decibel levels low enough for innuendoes in conversation and food to be absorbed. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Fantastic food. The decor is a little weird...cheap French decor and a mismatch of things, but the food and service is outstanding. Their signature pasta dish is to die for.

1  Thank R0cheR
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I loved the quaint, kitschy decore - maybe that's just me - red velvet chairs, fresh white table cloths, a fresh red rose on every table, lots of paintings on the walls, a little bar in the corner - and the service we had was great. So was the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc we ordered. The location is great too - right in Dana Point, near the harbor. The French Onion Soup was some of the best I've ever had - and they used Gruyere cheese! - nice to see. The shrimp scampi was delicious too - how could you go wrong?! But the John Dory Almondine we ordered could have been better - the fish was dry and the veges seemed a bit old. Up until that point I thought the place was great. I'll be going back, though, to give it a second chance - I just won't order the Dory Almondine. Maybe I'll try the snails or crepes! I just love the idea there's a bit of France in Dana Point!

1  Thank hotranga
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Six couples gathered at Gemmell's on February 10 for our annual Valentine dinner. Barbara (the manager) set up the front enclosed heated patio area for our party. It was a perfect environment for our small group. Pink roses on the table added a nice touch. The wine list is extensive. We selected #902, called Liquid Velvet (a California red blend), for $36. Terrific! Next came the warm wilted-spinach salad. Wow! Probably the best spinach I've ever had. Mary had the sea bass and I really enjoyed the halibut. All of their fish is fresh. All twelve of us raved about this truly enjoyable experience. The meals are a bit pricey but certainly worth the few extra dollars. All of us voted to return there for our 2014 Valentine dinner.

1  Thank Volunteer23
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Saved this restaurant for our last night in town expecting a great meal.
We arrived and were seated right away but we wanted a quiet table so they put us in a tiny booth in the back corner which was cramped and near the kitchen.
The live entertainment was so loud that it was uncomfortable.
We had high expectations, as we had heard good things about the place.
The server was not very sociable but our dinner was brought out in a timely fashion.
The food was OK but nothing to get excited about..
The wine list was good but overpriced.
Maybe we expected too much, but we will probably not return.

1  Thank Buytheshorts