Open today: 08:00 - 17:00
Book In Advance
Tours from Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews brownie underwater viewing pods sea lions whale watching fast cat grey whales common dolphins see whales great trip large pod of dolphins sea world an incredible experience their natural habitat marine life bottle nose dolphins phone call boat ride
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We actually booked this adventure while staying at Marriott's Newport Coast Villas last January. We were unable to proceed with the trip in Jan. because of heavy rain and dangerous surf. This summer we decided to use our additional week at Marriott's Desert Springs. Since we were only 2 hours away from Dana Point, we decided to give Capt Dave another try. We were so happy we did! The drive from Palm Desert was smooth (mapquest sent us on a route which mostly avoided crowded freeways), check-in was effortless, and the ocean was beautiful. We were able to see blue whales up close and personal, common bottlenosed dolphins, and another species of dolphin which has a flat face and turns white as it ages. The naturalist aboard the ship knew his stuff and could locate sea creatures with ease.It was definately worth every penny of the $55 per person. We enjoyed the day so much we plan to take our grown children and our grandkids the next time we are in the area.

2  Thank Riddle1953
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Watching dolphins in the wild is an experience my children and I will never forget. This is 100 times more fun and educational than Sea World!

1  Thank mgar2764
Reviewed 27 June 2010

One of the best experiences I have ever had. The pods of dolphins are incredible. I have never seen anything like it. I would have been satisfied with that, bit on the way in we saw a Blue Whale. Witnessing the largest animal to ever live on earth up close is indescribable. The crew was very knowledgable and obviously very dedicated to preservation of these animals. A great day. I highly recommend it.

1  Thank Lve2travel14
Reviewed 7 June 2010

What a wonderful experience; even though we didn't see any whales, we had an incredible time! We saw lots and LOTS of dolphins - up close and personal! I got lots of great pictures (even with my crappy camera)! We will definitely be doing this again next year!

Reviewed 19 May 2010

I have gone on Captain Dave's Dolphin Safari many times and have always enjoyed the trip. It's not the biggest excursion operator on the coast but he and his fellows always have a lot of enthusiasm for the work that they do and always pass that feeling on to us passengers. The appearance of the blue whales from around June to October. The California Grey whales migration in the spring and fall. Many days of vast dolphin and various other sea life there is always something to see and it makes each and every trip unique with hardly the same sights on any two trips. With new bigger boat with the In-the-bow dolphin viewing portal it really is a different whale/dolphin/sea life experience. The brownies at the end are good too.