“Room smelled like stale cigarette smoke, no tp, rude service.”

Dana Point Marina Inn
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
Reviewed 24 May 2011

You definately get what you paid for. When we booked we were told we were getting the last room. We were not told it would be a smoking room (I have asthma and would not have taken it). Upon check in we were informed it hadn't been used by any smokers for at least 2 years. So now they're lying to us. The stale smoke smell was extremely strong, despite their efforts to air out the room. Room in general was not very clean, and the furniture was battered.

We noticed we had no toilet paper and called the front desk. When someone brought up a roll he was blatantly rude and seemed really put out. Strangely he was followed by someone really polite 5 min. Later with a second roll.

Great location, but really needs to be cleaned up. I would not stay again.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RizzaCalifornia

Reviewed 24 April 2011

We had a wonderful stay at this Hotel. It was clean, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and the continental breakfast was deliciously fresh with lots of choices. Best of all, it was within walking distance (5 minutes) of everything we had traveled there for; Fishing, Dolphin and Whale watching, shopping. I would stay again in a heartbeat. Our room faced the street, which made me feel like people could see in with the drapes open. Next time I would request it faced the harbor. I had to go with the cheapest room I could get on this trip because of all the extra activities I planned. Even so, it was roomy and clean, had plenty of towels and the all important coffee pot. Also, there was a fridge in the room so we had a place to freeze our catch. They even let us check in early, which I sooo appreciated after a long drive. I have nothing negative to say about Dana Point Marina Inn. It really was a great Hotel for under a hundred dollars per night.

Room Tip: Street facing room lacks privacy
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bussy01
Reviewed 17 April 2011

We decided to stay overnight after going out from Dana Point whale watching and chose this inn because it was at the harbor. Glad we did! Great service, good room with comfortable bed and nice kitchen area. Did miss our HDTV but then we didn't stay there to sit in front of a tv. You can walk to almost everything you need. The bike rental was reasonable and comfortable. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank cal4nadon
Reviewed 28 February 2011

As always the Dana Point Marina Inn did not disappoint, the Hotel has always been a consistent establishment. It’s not a Marriott but they’ve never claimed to be either. The room was clean; the general condition of the Hotel was clean and functional. We called and requested a roll in bed and told the desk we would be late due to weather conditions and asked if the roll in could be placed in the room prior to our arrival, we were told it would be handled. When we arrived, check in was a snap and the bed was waiting as promised. The only cons we noticed was the questionable Wii Fi and the limited continental breakfast, this has never been the hotels strong point but it is something to eat but I would recommend one of the many non-chain restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank doug5702
Reviewed 22 December 2010

Beautiful view of the harbor. Walking distance to restaurants. Room was comfortable. Breakfast was spartan but acceptable.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2010

So it's not the Ritz Carlton but who cares. I have stayed at this great little hotel several times over the span of many years. I love the value, location and staff. The rooms are pretty standard, but are clean and well cared for. The staff is excellent, the front desk are warm and knowledgeable. They have been able to fulfill any request I have. The absolute best part is that you can walk to everyhing - no need for the car.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vegasldy10
Reviewed 24 July 2010

The people here are great. When we asked for toothpaste or extra towels, we got exactly what we needed quickly and with a smile.

The tub and sink drained very poorly; a 5 minute shower had my feet completely inundated. We asked the desk clerk to fix it while we were out to dinner, and it did drain a "bit" faster after that, but there is a problem with a main drain somewhere requiring the attention a professional plumber.

The room (especially the bathroom) was old-looking, with a small amount mildew along the sides of the mirror, obvious caulk patching here and there, and earwigs running around at night.

The "Harbor View" room on the first floor is really a "Parking Lot View". And the ceiling made that creaking noise every time someone walked around in the room above. I suggest you get up to the top floor for a view of the harbor.

The TV in the room is an old CRT with snow on most channels. It wasn't even bolted down, maybe they would like you to take it ;^) The small refrigerator made a lot of noise when it was running, which was about half the time.

The bed was old but firm. It was made using a standard flat sheet (instead of a fitted sheet) on the mattress. I tend to wiggle a lot in my sleep, and the sheet just would not stay in place. So I slept badly on a wrinkled surface, sometimes directly on the mattress.

The breakfast was OK, but the only hot item was putting a plain pasty store bought bagel into the toaster. They had a few different kinds of cold cereal including my favorite Honey Nut Cheerios. Also some juice, fresh fruit, individually packaged danish, coffee, and tea.

There is no hot tub at the pool, which nobody seemed to be using during our very cloudy stay. I didn't use the "fitness center".

The best thing about this hotel for me is its location. Our business had everything to do with boats in the barbor, so the location was as perfect as possible. In fact, we arrived on a boat and had no car, so this was pretty much the only choice we had, other than staying on the boat.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Riviera Beach Spa Resort
Riviera Beach Spa Resort
#9 of 12 in Dana Point
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to Dana Point Marina Inn? Share your experiences!