“stinks both literally and figuratively”

Dana Point Marina Inn
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This place is old, beat and it stinks! The walk to the room had me worried. There is no air-conditioning in the hall and there is NO air flow (it's July). The hallway smelled like chicken, the carpet looks 50 years old and it’s dark. My room smelled like an old lady's hair caught fire. The paint was peeling from the vanity. The Shower not only had two hairs in it, it was chipped and equally as old as the carpet. The walls were covered in smears and hand prints. There was a broken desk facing backwards in the closet. The air conditioner in the room is a window unit equivalent. It’s old, cheap and loud. The sad part is unless it’s running the room is stagnant and smelly even with the slider open which is impressive. The walls are really thin. The folks next to us were up chatting until the wee hours. I could hear them even above the old air conditioner. I hardly slept.

The continental breakfast is held in a small cramped room and offers few choices. The pool is small but it’s clean. The elevator is the slowest I have ever experienced. Not busy, just slow moving and dank.

The only redeeming thing about the hotel is the location. Dana Point Harbor is a wonderful place with many awesome restaurants. I assume that the Hotel feels no need to accommodate as the clientele will always come for the location. But I warn you. If you like a clean hotel where you don’t have to wear your shoes at all times in the room, stay elsewhere.

Sadly disappointed my husband and I had to “make due” instead of the romantic get a way we had hoped for. You need a sense of humor for this place.

Room Tip: FAce the Harbor!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lttlelindsey

Reviewed 7 July 2011

This hotel was in short walking distance to the California Wine Festival, which was the purpose of my visit. Went with my mom and aunt and had a great time! So many great restaurants nearby, staff was friendly and the location was ideal. Room was comfortable for the price and seemed well kept up enough other than the bathroom which could definitely use a renovation. My only complaint is that we were disturbed by a phone call from the front desk saying we were too noisy, and it was only 9pm! First of all, my mom was sound asleep so my aunt and I were keeping it down. The only thing I can think is that they called the wrong room, which is sad because it woke up my mom. Other than that, the stay was perfect. I will for sure be visiting again next year.

Room Tip: Come for the wine festival and come hungry so you enjoy all the great restaurants!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank alphagal
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Stayed here for a wedding in Laguna Beach. The rooms are really basic, but other hotels in the area are very expensive, so this is an option if you are on a budget.
Pros: Nice location with marina views and plenty of shops and places to eat within easy walking distance. Very near a beach area with various types of boat rentals available. Free parking. Although basic, there was free breakfast, pretty standard - but a nice addition to get your day started. Sheets and towels smelt clean and fresh - cleaning staff was polite and attentive. Fridge in room, although we did not use it. Free internet, but it was spotty. Pool was heated.
Cons: Very basic room, dated furniture and very old TV's that do not work very well. Bathroom needs overhaul. Somewhat musty smell in rooms and in main elevator. Paper thin walls - we heard every word spoken by our neighbors on either side (and I guess they heard us!). Rowdy parties each night at the marina kept me awake. You can hear people walking around upstairs and the fridge was noisy at night. Front desk staff was aloof and unfriendly.
Recommendations: This is the most affordable option in the area, and you do get the advantage of the view of the marina and the convenience of the shopping/restaurants right there. Get a room on 3rd floor to make the most of the view and to minimize noise. If you are not expecting the Ritz (or even a Hampton Inn), you will not be too disappointed. If you can afford it and want something nicer, try the Marriott which was right across the street or the Blue Lantern Inn (right down the road). Or, stay at the Dana Point Marina Inn and use the money you save to have lunch at the Montage Resort in Laguna Beach!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank caymanfan2010
Reviewed 29 May 2011

hey gang this is a beach hotel. if you want the ritz carlton, stay there. everything is lovely. easy walk to: beach, decent restaurants, whale watch, ferry to catalina. inexpensive bike rental at hotel. suggest the upstairs room facing water. spacious, good bed, plenty of fresh air, free parking

Room Tip: 3rd floor water view.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank worb
Reviewed 24 May 2011

You definately get what you paid for. When we booked we were told we were getting the last room. We were not told it would be a smoking room (I have asthma and would not have taken it). Upon check in we were informed it hadn't been used by any smokers for at least 2 years. So now they're lying to us. The stale smoke smell was extremely strong, despite their efforts to air out the room. Room in general was not very clean, and the furniture was battered.

We noticed we had no toilet paper and called the front desk. When someone brought up a roll he was blatantly rude and seemed really put out. Strangely he was followed by someone really polite 5 min. Later with a second roll.

Great location, but really needs to be cleaned up. I would not stay again.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RizzaCalifornia
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We had a wonderful stay at this Hotel. It was clean, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and the continental breakfast was deliciously fresh with lots of choices. Best of all, it was within walking distance (5 minutes) of everything we had traveled there for; Fishing, Dolphin and Whale watching, shopping. I would stay again in a heartbeat. Our room faced the street, which made me feel like people could see in with the drapes open. Next time I would request it faced the harbor. I had to go with the cheapest room I could get on this trip because of all the extra activities I planned. Even so, it was roomy and clean, had plenty of towels and the all important coffee pot. Also, there was a fridge in the room so we had a place to freeze our catch. They even let us check in early, which I sooo appreciated after a long drive. I have nothing negative to say about Dana Point Marina Inn. It really was a great Hotel for under a hundred dollars per night.

Room Tip: Street facing room lacks privacy
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bussy01
Reviewed 17 April 2011

We decided to stay overnight after going out from Dana Point whale watching and chose this inn because it was at the harbor. Glad we did! Great service, good room with comfortable bed and nice kitchen area. Did miss our HDTV but then we didn't stay there to sit in front of a tv. You can walk to almost everything you need. The bike rental was reasonable and comfortable. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011
Best Western Capistrano Inn
#1 of 3 in San Juan Capistrano
The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Residence Inn Dana Point San Juan Capistrano
Residence Inn Dana Point San Jua...
#2 of 3 in San Juan Capistrano

Been to Dana Point Marina Inn? Share your experiences!