“Great people, not so great facilities”

Dana Point Marina Inn
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
San Diego, California
“Great people, not so great facilities”
Reviewed 24 July 2010

The people here are great. When we asked for toothpaste or extra towels, we got exactly what we needed quickly and with a smile.

The tub and sink drained very poorly; a 5 minute shower had my feet completely inundated. We asked the desk clerk to fix it while we were out to dinner, and it did drain a "bit" faster after that, but there is a problem with a main drain somewhere requiring the attention a professional plumber.

The room (especially the bathroom) was old-looking, with a small amount mildew along the sides of the mirror, obvious caulk patching here and there, and earwigs running around at night.

The "Harbor View" room on the first floor is really a "Parking Lot View". And the ceiling made that creaking noise every time someone walked around in the room above. I suggest you get up to the top floor for a view of the harbor.

The TV in the room is an old CRT with snow on most channels. It wasn't even bolted down, maybe they would like you to take it ;^) The small refrigerator made a lot of noise when it was running, which was about half the time.

The bed was old but firm. It was made using a standard flat sheet (instead of a fitted sheet) on the mattress. I tend to wiggle a lot in my sleep, and the sheet just would not stay in place. So I slept badly on a wrinkled surface, sometimes directly on the mattress.

The breakfast was OK, but the only hot item was putting a plain pasty store bought bagel into the toaster. They had a few different kinds of cold cereal including my favorite Honey Nut Cheerios. Also some juice, fresh fruit, individually packaged danish, coffee, and tea.

There is no hot tub at the pool, which nobody seemed to be using during our very cloudy stay. I didn't use the "fitness center".

The best thing about this hotel for me is its location. Our business had everything to do with boats in the barbor, so the location was as perfect as possible. In fact, we arrived on a boat and had no car, so this was pretty much the only choice we had, other than staying on the boat.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank CaptainD4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 19 July 2010

we read all the comments about this inn some good some bad - we bought as fan for 15 bucks before we even checked in- ( from the reviews ) the room overlooked the bay with the boats coming in and out the a/c was good but the fan came in handy- room was clean and well stocked- breakfast was provide and it was good overall nice place

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tomneely1
Whitehouse,Ohio
Reviewed 10 January 2010

Great hotel in a great, quiet location. Restaurants, shops and
beach all within walking distance. Hotel staff was great, Let us
pick our own room and we got to check in early. Room was nice and spacious,
clean and comfortable. Pool was nice. We would stay again.
****The pictures are of the marina outside the back of the hotel.....Gorgeous
scenery.****

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TAYTREV
phoenix
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I stayed here for 2 nights with my husband, and mother. This was a nice place in a great location. We had the standard 2 queen beds, fridg, desk, table w/2 chairs, ground floor w/patio. My husband liked it because we parked right in front of our patio. Other people commented on the shower head being low, IT WAS! I'm only 5'2" and I had to bend down to rinse my hair! I also had to tell the front counter guy that the carpet really needed a good cleaning. The room was always clean, but when you got into the shower you made black footprints, and I always were shoes. The area around the hotel is great. You can walk any where. There are shops and restaurants and when I say walking distance I mean walking distance. I have an artificial leg and my mom is 76 and we had no problem. We ate at the Wind and Sea and it was good food at a great price. The breakfast is just bagels, cereal, fruit and english muffins. You can rent a bike, but I don't know how much. I would come here again. I would say that it's not great for families because it's not close to attractions for kids, but a wonderful place to just sit back and relax.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PhoenixBlessing
Colorado
Reviewed 8 October 2009

This hotel was ok. We did stay in the older section. Room was typical hotel room, two double beds and a window. The plus was that there was a fridge and we were close to the pool. Landscaping was nice around the pool area. Not a lot of restaurants near by. The shuttle for Sea World was nice to have so we didn't have to pay for parking. I thought that there was more of a beach area but there wasn't.

Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank smduja
hemet
Reviewed 30 September 2009

Dont stay here!! Horrible customer service, cockroaches and flithy rooms!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank lucylover24
Ohio
Reviewed 17 August 2009

The carpet in our room was filthy, giving black, dirty feet if you dared to walk barefoot. The bathroom definitely looked like it was under renovation- not the opposite. Also, I asked to borrow a pair of scissors to wrap a wedding gift. You would have thought I asked the clerks to fly to the moon the way they acted. Very unprofessional and unfriendly staff. Had to ask "the one in charge" if I could use their scissors. This hotel sadly does not meet the expectations of its brochure.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Capistrano Surfside Inn
Capistrano Surfside Inn
#7 of 12 in Dana Point

Been to Dana Point Marina Inn? Share your experiences!