“A lovely Christmas Visit”

Blue Lantern Inn - A Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Dana Point B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“A lovely Christmas Visit”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We loved the Inn and will return. I might mention that on the website, you were very firm about a 4 PM checkin. This made things a little difficult for us. Do wish check in was 2:30 OR 3. Also we could never seem to get the water above lukewarm. You were very busy while we were they so maybe the water heater was overloaded. Other than those two items, the room was great, the food, was great and Peggy at the front desk was delightful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This review is going to be a recording of previous positive reviews but there are a couple of "heads ups" I wanted to point out(though it should not change your mind about staying there).

The wife and I went mid-week the last week of December in order to take advantage of the summer-like winter Southern Cal has been experiencing. The off-season rate was only $150(with tax=$165). The room was ideal as was the service. Although check-in time is 4PM, we were able to check in about 2:45PM. The wine and cheese happy hour and breakfasts were as advertised-good but not necessarily extraordinary. Our room was quiet and very clean.

A couple of things that made me go with 4 stars instead of 5:
1) There was no blow dryer in the room. They don't mention it on the website but then again, I may take one for granted these days. I can't recall the last time a motel or hotel I stayed at didn't have one.
2) The water pressure in the shower was very low and the water temperature did not get very hot. My hunch is that due to the place being pretty crowded and with everyone seemingly at breakfast at the same time and therefore probably showering at the same time, the place is not quite ready to handle the large numbers.

Outside of that, if you can get this mid-week, off-season rate, there is no reason to stay away. Enjoy!
Restaurant tip: Luciana's for dinner, which you can walk to in 4 or 5 minutes.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank clint52
Los Angeles
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I first stayed at the Inn while on a business trip and thought the place was adorable. I had a 3rd floor room with vaulted ceilings (though with a view of the parking lot), skylights in the enormous bathroom, and a fireplace and just loved it. They serve wine and hors d'oeuvres late afternoon and the first time I was there it was during the summer so you could sit out at 6 pm and still be warm while you enjoy the view of the harbor below. I liked it so much that my friend bought a gift certificate for me and my husband to use for a mini getaway after our wedding. So I called and booked a two-night stay for a room with an ocean view. I mentioned to the person taking the reservation that I like the vaulted ceilings on the top floor and very specifically and clearly requested a room on the 3rd floor. My husband was sitting right next to me and heard the whole thing. The lady confirmed we were booked for a 3rd floor room. Well, we got there and, wouldn't you know, we were in a second floor room. The room was still nice but it was not what I had asked for so we explained to the lady at the desk that we reserved a 3rd floor room. She said she had no record of it and there was only one 3rd floor room with a partial ocean view. She was nice about letting us go up there to check out the room. It was all the way at the very end of the harbor-facing rooms and at an awkward angle so you really didn't have the greatest view. So we decided to stick with room 202, which had a direct and full ocean view (albeit without the vaulted ceilings). Our stay was fine. We really enjoyed breakfast and the absolutely delicious, fresh baked cookies they provide every afternoon. They also have a wide selection of teas and coffee available all day. Two things we did not enjoy so much...(1) we were there in November so it was dark by 5 pm and chilly out on the deck facing the ocean so you had to have your wine and cheese indoors in the breakfast dining room (not quite the same as the summer experience), and (2) they have this cozy, huge library room that we were told was closed off for a private event so we couldn't go in there. I found this somewhat disappointing as it took away from being able to fully experience the Inn. The worst part of our stay was the checkout. When we received our invoice, I saw that there was an entry on the day we booked our room that showed us being in room 302 (a 3rd floor room) and then another entry on the day we checked in that had us in room 202. I mentioned this to the lady at the desk and she was quite snippy and rude in her response. She said the 302 entry doesn't mean anything and it's just a placeholder that was put in the there to hold "a" room (not "the" room) for the reservation. Umm, okay, that makes a ton of sense. So I clarified that I had specifically requested a 3rd floor room when I made the reservation and, again, rude response was that they had no record of that or any notations on our reservation. Okay, so are you saying I'm lying then??? When a customer tells you they requested something that you didn't provide, all you have to do is apologize for the error and let it go, not argue with them! It's that simple. And if she hadn't been so rude, I would have probably given them 4 stars instead of 3. The lady's demeanor was a complete turn-off and enough to keep me from going back there. As to other aspects of the Inn...in general, majority of guests there were older (50 and up range). We're in our mid-thirties and definitely stood out but we didn't really care (just note that if you're looking for a hip place with a vibrant feel, this isn't it). Other thing...my husband is a general contractor and noticed that the Inn was in need of a face lift. There were areas where they attempted to do repairs/maintenance but clearly did them on the cheap so if you've got an eye for detail, you may notice the workmanship and condition of the Inn isn't top notch. Again, didn't bother me too much. But, it is somewhat pricey to stay there so just don't expect total luxury. The beds are very comfortable and linens clean and crisp and they have a DVD library available to guests for free. Lastly, from what I was told by the lady checking us in (and my own experience), each room has a different set up and there is quite a variation in the size and configuration of the bathrooms. So what you see on one stay may not be representative of your next stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Linda A
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Let me start this review by saying that I am not an "Inn" person. My preference is usually an upscale hotel and all of its amenities; I don't love feeling like I am paying to stay in someone else's house. Don't even get me started on B&B's!

We stayed at the Blue Lantern Inn last week on a whim. We drove the 2 hours from LA and took advantage of a mid-week special they were offering ($150 a night). As we pulled up to the inn, I was pleased to see that they had a nice, well-lit parking lot right for us to park in for free. The outside of the building is really charming, built in a New England-y kind of style. The location is incredible, they are situated right on the edge of a cliff overlooking the marina and the ocean. So far so good.

Friendly and helpful assistance at the front desk made check in a breeze. They even offered us freshly baked coconut macaroons and oatmeal raisin cookies! There was definitely a personal touch to this experience, and I did appreciate that.

Our room is where things fell a bit short. We were initially given room 103, which is on the first floor overlooking the marina. It was considered a "partial ocean" view, which I thought was more than fair. As soon as you step outside you are greeted by the gorgeous ocean view.

The room came with an outdoor patio, as well as 2 chairs and a table outside. While this view is great, there is very little privacy between this and the other rooms. If anyone else is on their patio, you are in full site of them and that's when you realize that you're sharing a large first floor patio. If you don't care about privacy, this will not be a big deal for you. We asked to be moved to a room with more privacy, and were given room 105 instead. This corner room was a bit smaller and did not have the full view of the ocean, but it did have more privacy. It was at the far end of the same patio, so there was less chance of someone walking by while you are watching tv in your underwear. If you're into that sort of thing.

The room itself was clean and cozy, with a sitting area that had 2 chairs, a fireplace, flat screen tv, and king size bed. The bed was comfortable-ish but felt a little old, I could hear the springs creaking. The bathroom in this particular room did not offer much privacy either, the sink area was part of the room, with the toilet behind a sliding door and the shower behind a wall of the room. Room 103 was better in this regard as it had a proper bathroom with a door that shut. If you are here for a romantic stay, your honey will definitely want to be able to use the bathroom without you hearing them pooping. Just saying.

Despite its charm, the room had some issues. There was paint chipping and peeling in several areas. I was surprised since this is such an easy and inexpensive fix, but I assume they don't want to put the room out of commission while the paint dries. Our toilet continued running after I flushed it the first time; when I went to check it, I realized that the handle was extremely loose and almost falling off the toilet itself. The fridge in the room made noise like it was struggling, which we only noticed after trying to go to sleep. I didn't call the front desk about this as I didn't want to be a bother; I guess that's on me.

Breakfast and happy hour were very nice. I've read a few reviews complaining about their breakfast and I think that's not fair. There was coffee and tea, fresh juice, a hot egg dish (quiche one day and an egg/tortilla casserole the other day), hash browns, fresh fruit, mini muffins, oatmeal, cereal, etc... I thought it was extremely generous. There were several other couples eating breakfast at the same time, and it seemed very "couple-y". I didn't see any kids there the entire time we were there.

Overall, this inn is very charming. The biggest draw by far is the location and view. It is breathtaking and makes it worthwhile to stay here at least once. And considering the view, I think that they are being very fair with the $150 off season rate. The main reason I give this place 3 stars has a lot to do with my point of view; I don't love inns. The room felt a touch rundown and lacked privacy. Perhaps it was the room we got; if the balcony rooms are nicer then I could easily bump this up to four stars.

If you are an inn person, you will probably love this place.

Room Tip: Try to get a balcony room on the second or third floor facing the marina. First floor harbor view r...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank beachycali
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I had a meeting in Laguna Niguel and decided to spend the night prior in Dana Point at Blue Lantern.
Everything from start to finish was excellent.
Location is easy to get to.
Parking is conveniently adjacent to hotel.
Check-in was efficient and gracious. They really welcome guests and make you feel like they truly appreciate your visit. They took all the time necessary to explain everything about the premises.
The wine/cheese happy hour was both generous and relaxing.
The continental breakfast was equally enjoyable and a wonderful start to the day.
The room was incredibly inviting from the bed to the bath, from the ocean breeze coming from the balcony to the cozy fireplace watching a great movie on the wide screen tv.
Nearby are a great assortment of restaurants, ALL within walking distance.
The room price was reasonable given the perfection and attention to detail (see photos I uploaded).
I would not encourage younger children (under 5) at this hotel as the ambience is one of ocean breeze, quiet atmosphere, relaxation.
My regret is I could only stay one night.... but it was my brief stopover in heaven.
I will come back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank tbsdca
whitby, north yorkshire
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights as part of our honeymoon. After falling in love with the place whilst researching it before going, we were not disappointed. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. We unfortunately didn't have an ocean view room, but the rooms from the downstairs seating areas and the viewing area next to it were amazingly beautiful. Our room was large and well decorated. The bathroom was large and well stocked.A great supply of complimentary toiletries and coffees/teas. It was the liitle touches with this place that made it what it was, from the way it was decorated throughout the hotel, to the complimentary afternoon wine, tea, coffee and hors d'oeuvre, to the bikes your can take to explore the area. The walk down to the marina through the park is lovely and the marina itself was amazing to see. Lots of expensive boats to look at. We ate at a lovely restaurant down the road called Jacks, which i would recommend for great organic food. The breakfast in the hotel was also amazing. Lots of choice.
Dana point itself was great as its not far from some great beaches at Laguna beach and Huntington beach. The marina at Newport beach is also definitely a place to stop at. The yachts and houses there are out of this world.
Beautiful inn, amazing location, friendly staff, definitely value for money. Shame we were only able to stay 2 nights. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nikki1988_10
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This will be a memorable stay if you choose to spend a few nights at the Blue Lantern Inn. I have stayed here a couple of times and enjoy all the amenities and the breakfasts are delicious. Afternoon appetizers are wonderful and the wine looks great, although I don't drink. Coffee and tea are always available..just make your reservation well in advance as they are booked yr. round.

Room Tip: choose a room with an ocean view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dana Point Marina Inn
Dana Point Marina Inn
#8 of 12 in Dana Point
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Doheny Beach - Dana Point

Been to Blue Lantern Inn - A Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!