Blue Lantern Inn - A Four Sisters Inn
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsb bpacific edgewine and cheesedana point harborafternoon winecarpe diemtower roomcity viewhappy hour with winechart housegas fireplacegreat view of the harborjacuzzi tubhard boiled eggscliff overlookingboutique hotelsitting area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 April 2010

No doubt that this Inn has a beautiful view of Dana Point Harbor and nice rooms. That's why I can give it 2 stars. However... My wife and I stayed in room 305. I specifically chose this room because I knew it had a nice balcony, and was willing to pay a little more for that view. Upon arriving I noticed that the balcony overlooked a restaurant. Unfortunately for us, there was a wedding reception held there on Saturday night. The event went from about 6pm to 10pm and featured music that was so loud that even with the balcony door closed I had trouble hearing my TV set and having a nice conversation with my wife. My beef with the Inn is that I was not warned of this possibility. They pointed to their website, which does mention the restaurant, but I didn't read everything on their site, and had no idea that my room would be overlooking the restaurant. I just went straight to reservations. I did have an email exchange and a phone conversation with someone at the Inn before arriving. There was never a mention that the $300 a night room I was paying for, might lose all of its charm and VALUE on Saturday night. I personally believe I was given the room on the restaurant side, because I was a first timer, and didn't know any better. My wife and I had planned to enjoy a nice quite romantic Saturday night by ourselves with a beautiful view. It was totally destroyed by the party. However, all I heard from people at the Inn was that it was posted on their website. Somehow this is supposed to make me feel better, and resolve the Inn of any blame. If these people knew anything about customer service they would either compensate or charge people less money on the nights when these loud events occur. I paid more for a balcony that I couldn't use...
Now, the food. On both mornings we were served scrambled eggs with cheese and roasted potatoes, oatmeal, some fruit, and pastries. Pretty ordinary tasting stuff. On the first morning we were given pastries wrapped in packages (the kind you can buy at the supermarket). You have got to be kidding me. This Inn has a cookbook of great looking recipes, but it doesn't look like they prepare these meals for their guests (at least not in April). The cook book was the other reason we had chosen to stay there.
Finally, my wife, who has made great friends with people running every bed&breakfast we have ever slept at was a little pissed off that she was asked twice, by the same person, whether she currently had a room. My wife and I had used some bicycles and wanted to see their cookbook, but the person behind the desk seemed suspicious of us for some reason. Geessshhh...we had already told them our names when we rented the bikes. They could easily check, but they kept asking. It was annoying and a little embarrassing for my wife.
We won't be coming back. There are just too many other places with better food, a more peaceful environment and awesome views that cost less, and care more about their customers.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank daveadad
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Everyone else has commented on the location and views, so I won't be repetitive. The staff were quite friendly here, and the evening wine/cheese thing was just fine. Comfy bed in an excellent room with a spacious, functional bathroom. A stroll around the neighborhood was quiet and relaxing.

The only thing I'd change is the breakfast start time. With breakfast starting at 8AM, this isn't the best place for early risers who need to get away before the crowd.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Stayed atthe Blue Lantern Inn for one night for my wifes birthday. I booked a winter rate city view for $140. When we arrived they upgraded us to a harbor view for free and had birthday baloons in the room. The room was a good size with fireplace and jet tub.
The inn was walking distance to the harbor and great diner options. There was a yummy tea time and a great breakfast served in the morning. Overall had a great time and would come back in the wintertime again when rates are reasonable.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank norm2h
Reviewed 18 January 2010

We were a walk in for this hotel. We got it for $160 for the night which we feel was worth the money.
The rooms were stunning, really homely, like someone cared what they looked like. There was a wine and cheese meet and greet early evening which wasn't really our cup of tea. We thoroughly enjoyed the nibbles and drinks and managed not to talk to anyone! Fabulous!
Breakfast was a buffet which was varied and readily replenished.
The reception staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly.
We thought it was a gorgeous building with a fantastic view over the harbour. Loved it all.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2009

This hotel has exceptional customer service and goes out of their way to make you feel like you are at home while travelling. The rooms are in excellent condition and the staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. My husband and I plan to return and would stay at this hotel every time we return to Dana Point.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple