“Beautiful property, top notch service with a smile!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My husband and I just spent three incredibly relaxing nights at this Ritz property. We are already looking at our calendar to figure out when we can go back! Located on a bluff overlooking Salt Creek Beach, the property has incredible views of the Pacific and the coast. Although we were not fortunate enough to get an ocean view room, there are plenty of areas btoh inside and ourside of the hotel where you can enjoy the view. If you are looking to be part of the Laguna scene, this is not the right hotel for you. Downtown Laguna is an easy 15-20 minute drive from the hotel, but not within walking distance. Cabs are easily accessible.

We stayed in a one bedroom suite on the Club level overlooking one of the hotel pools, which was lovely and spacious. Had the pool been busier, I'm not sure what the noise would have been like. However, is was very serene during our stay. The service was excellent and friendly. Upon check in, we were greeted by Tonee, who took us up to the Club level, and the excellent service continued. The concierge staff on the Club level was at the ready to answer any question, make reservations, offer suggestions on things to do, etc. My husband and I decided to take a surfing lesson one day. The instructors pick you up in the lobby and take you to a beach in nearby Laguna about 20 minutes away. This was fun, but not for the faint of heart. With no surfking experience, we were surprised at how rocky the bottom was and worried about cracking our heads under the surf. The instruction was adequate; but the conditions were unfortunately sub-optimal the day we went. We also enjoyed two massages each at the spa. The spa is lovely and sits across the hall from the fitness center, which has fllor to ceiling windows facing the ocean. If you can, ask for Donna for a deep tissue massage!

One night we stayed in and had dinner at Raya. Since we wanted to watch the Bulls game, we chose to have dinner in the bar adjacent to the restaurant, and they were more than willing to accommodate our request. The food was good but not exceptional. We also ate at 230 Forest and Mastro's, both of which are good. The food at 230 Forest was overcomplicated between too many flavors and too many cooking methods showcased on the plate, but the ingredients were fresh and high quality...and the chocolate croissant bread pudding is to die for! Mastro's is an overpriced steak house and a total pick up scene, but the people watching is outstanding.

Most of our time was spent walking on the beach and relaxing on the balcony off the Club level reading and relaxing, and we could not have asked for more. The bar on the Club level is well stocked and the food is refreshed a few times a day, so we could not have been happier.

Overall a great visit and the perfect recharge.

Room Tip: Request an oceanview room, but be prepared to pay a premium for it. If not , the suites on the Club...
1  Thank JRAR
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Thank you for your thorough review of our resort and some of the services we provide. We appreciate your time in posting your thoughts. We hope you went home with many unforgettable memories and we look forward to creating more for you in the years to come.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,425)

Reviewed 24 March 2012

I just checked out after a one day stay, and I can't say enough about how wonderful my stay was. The staff is incredible, the food was amazing, the views are phenomenal. I stay in hotels over 150 nights a year, and the Ritz Carlton at Laguna Niguel is amazing.

However, I simply cannot understand how the hotel could allow guests to smoke on the patios. The wind blows smoke directly in to all the other rooms that the smoke can reach. This is not an issue for me when it comes to outdoor bars - I can expect smoke there - it is a bar. But when the smoke drifts into my room, I have a problem with that. I didn't pay for a room with an ocean view to be forced to keep my patio door closed. If the law allows it, the hotel can simply designate a block of rooms as non-smoking that extends to the patio, and can ask guests if they plan to smoke, and have them in a different section of the building.

To the hotel and staff's credit, they tried to get a different room for me, and also gave me a free breakfast. Still, of all the things that were great about the hotel, and it totally deserves a 5, I'm left with mixed feelings because of the smoking issue.

Room Tip: The ocean view is worth the extra cost
1  Thank RB_90017

Thank you for your valuable and honest feedback. We greatly appreciate it. You have our word that we will take a closer look into the logistics of 180blu and how we can best serve all of our guests dining at the outlet, as well as those staying in rooms close by. We want to ensure you come back again and again. You are right, the ocean front rooms with the patio doors open is the only way to go! Thank you once again, and please feel free to reach out to our Executive Office if you wish to discuss your visit further.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

One of the nicest stays our family has ever had. Usual great service, stunning views, great pools, beach. It does not get better in the US.

Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Daniel J
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

We are so proud of our spectacular location, and even more proud of all our ladies and gentlemen and the unique, exceptional service they provide. We are delighted to have you as our guest, and as part of our family, and hope you choose The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel again very soon!

Reviewed 17 March 2012

On a recent stay at this oceanfront resort, my husband and I were again treated to the best domestic service of any hotel in recent years.Even the engineer who helped us with the phones in our room remembered my name two days later upon meeting in a hallway!!We had a few issues with a barking service dog next door and though the hotel could not ask the offender to leave we were given a generous credit to our bill on check out.We were attending a conference that took all rooms at the hotel and even with a full house the hotel ran perfectly...no excuses as you usually hear from hotels when they are full...everything worked as it should...just smiling faces and "can do" service.Bravo to you!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your compliments! Each of our guests will always receive the best service possible whether we have a full house or not. We enjoyed having you and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Have spent a total of 15+ days over a couple of years at this hotel. I think if I had the chance I would live there :). Great staff, great location, great service. Sunset is spectacular! As you would expect, pricey, but if you really want it nice, this is the place to stay. Heading back again in October this year (which I believe is the nicest time). You expect a certain level of service from the Ritz, however, this location tops others that I have stayed at. Congrats to the management.
Try it, you'll like it !

Room Tip: Obviously, try to get an oceanfront room, some of the others, while nice, lack a view...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pjk1954

We are honored to be your home away from home, and we look forward to welcoming you back again in October! It is our highest mission to continue providing you with new and even more memorable experiences. Thank you!

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Pros: The view is absolutely stunning. They also have a variety of restaurants in the property, and you can also grab a quick bite at the market place. We stayed as a family for my dad's birthday and when we checked in, we got a free box of chocolates. Complimentary wifi, water bottles, yoga, and pilates classes. The staff was professional, we forgot our passports in the room safe, and they were very attentive and shipped it to us at our hotel in Beverly Hills. We loved how relaxing Dana Point was compared to staying in Beverly Hills. We will definitely be back!

Cons: The minibar was empty. There was a problem with my parents room, my mom mentioned that the bed smelled like pee on our first night, we brought the matter to the front desk agent, who apologized for what happened, and they discounted $200 out of our stay. We stayed for 3 nights but there was some inconsistency with housekeeping's turn down service, it was only done 2 out of the 3 nights we stayed.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Thank you for all of your generous feedback. We want you to know that we listen and accept all guest feedback whether positive or negative. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to creating more memories for you in the future. If your schedule allows, please contact our Executive Office directly at (949) 240-2000 to further discuss your experiences. We would appreciate that very much.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

We have been at the hotel last weekend with my girlfriend to celebrate her birthday. It was planned at the last minute but it worked great.
I tried to surprise her in all the way, from strawberry with chocolate in the room and champagne on arrival.
Dinner reservation at the restaurant and while we were having dinner petals of red roses in the room.
The hotel is great, very classy and elegant, we loved it. The restaurant was excellent too and the services at the pool was very good too.
The suite...mmm...nice but honestly a little outdated. This is only my personal point of view, there was everything in there, it was great, nice, accention to all the possible details...but honestly for 1250 USD a night I was expecting a little more....
The best past however was the staff.
I am in the tourism business and honestly, I raise my hat to all the workers there. If there were 6 stars to assign to the service I would have done it without thinking twice about it. Many hoteliers, restaurant managers, etc should just stay at this hotel to undertstand how a client should be treated.
Everybody was similing, saying Hi, for all the prepararions I had to do for the many surprises for my girlfriend all of the staff had to work in sync and they did an amazing job.
Great Job guy.

1  Thank BenvenutoLimos
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Congratulations!! We loved having you here and are delighted all of our planning with you resulted in a flawless and memorable stay with us. We enjoy creating life long memories for our guests...thank you for the opportunity! We hope to see you again very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dana Point
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#4 of 23 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa
Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa
#2 of 23 in Laguna Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!