Just left the Laguna Niguel after an 8night stay and have stayed here on two other occasions along with the next door Montage. In addition, have stayed at many Ritz Carlton hotels around the world but this current trip was an uneven and disappointing combined business and vacation experience with my husband as a travel companion. Definitely the worst 5-star hotel experience I have ever had.
1. Our highlight was the first night arriving among the amazing flower arrangements at the registration desk and heading off to 180 Blu with terrific and attentive service and lovely food and wine with an unmatched view. Love sitting on that beautiful open aired space overlooking the ocean vista. Sadly the trip only seemed to spiral downward after the first day - we tried to replicate the 180Blu meal two nights later and had a very poor experience with wrong orders, delayed meals (our two entrees came at different times varying by 10minutes with one entree either cold or eaten with out the pleasure of a 'couples' meal.
2. ROOM "UPGRADE" disaster....We 'upgraded' to a room for a full ocean view the second day as a special treat which was a big mistake. Our sinks backed up with fecal material rising out of the sinks. We would also have frequent days with lawn furniture piled outside of our room obscuring the view. There was ceaseless barking from the next door neighbors dogs. If you are offered room 1004 please refuse it as we could not get these things changed during our stay and were stuck in this horrible room for our stay. Adding insult to injury was the separate charge of the 'upgrade' that was placed as a single charge instead of an upcharge of the daily rate - this will make it impossible to submit as a business expense and I will have the pleasure of paying out of pocket for the charge. When I tried to work with the business office - I received a 'nothing could be done'
3. SERVICE. The room service, porters and valets were great. The front desk personnel and room service phone personnel were horrible. When my brother and his family joined us during the second half of our stay with a second room we were greeted at the front desk by personnel who let me explain the second room booking under the same name and then rudely told me to step back from the desk since she was helping a customer who had left to go to the bathroom and she was currently unavailable. We stood in front of the empty registration desk for over 5 minutes while the 'bathroom customer' held her place. When she returned the 'bathroom customer' loudly finished a long conversation on the phone about a family members ear infection while we all stood and listened still hoping to eventually be acknowledged as a customer. Very sad second class treatment. About 10minutes later a second registration clerk finally arrived and handed us our keys and didn't even offer help with our bags to the room or even directions to the room. Very bizarre. Sadly, when leaving the resort and being asked 'how was my stay'. I offered that it was disappointing and was only told 'well, that is unfortunate' without any interest in understanding the problems. I would encourage management to work with front desk personnel since they didn't seem to enjoy being in a 'service' industry.
3. AMENITIES: During my trip to the spa I was treated to workman pounding on a broken massage chair next to mine so had the pleasure of workmen talking, laughing, hammering and using various other tools next to my 'relaxing' manicure/pedicure.
Certainly will plan to try an alternative Laguna Niguel location next time since I would not want to spend money and take home this sad experience. Had been looking forward to this venue and our prior visits were much better as reflected in others posting. We had looked forward to this get-away for months so especially sad heading home with this overall C- vacation experience. I think with a little more acknowledgement from management and front desk personnel to help improve our stay we would have been fine but sadly it wasn't meant to be.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Prestigia, Marriott, Agoda, Priceline, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, HRS, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel Hotel Dana Point
- Ritz Dana Point
- Ritz-Carlton Dana Point
- Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel