“Amazing in Every Way”

The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My feelings toward the Ritz are heavily biased, because it was the site of two of the most amazing days of my life - including a spectacular nine hour lunch overlooking the Pacific. The Raya restaurant features a floor to ceiling view of the ocean that cannot be beat. The staff is wonderfully friendly and accommodating (which is essential when you're still at the same lunch table at 6pm and they want to set for dinner...). The rooms are beautiful, and those with an ocean view are truly special. We had breakfast on our balcony overlooking the water, and it is an image that will stay with me forever. There is a lovely walk down to the water that lets you stroll through the sand on an uncrowded beach. I could go on and on. Perfection.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank The_Kinhin
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

It sounds like you had a magical experience at our resort! We look forward to welcoming you back for many more long lunches and memorable experiences.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,427)

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel was a highlight of a visit to the west coast. Absolutely wonderful views. Set dramatically on cliff and the beach is superb. This is not a place where I would ever stay without the help of my daughter. But a million thanks Beth for a once in a lifetime experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

We enjoyed having you! Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

First of all, this is not a place I'd pick for myself (or myself and my husband). I was here with a group and they like to stay at primo spots. And since all my expenses were being reimbursed, I'm not going to complain. We got a reduced price on rooms for our group and I wasn't expecting a great view, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could see the ocean if I looked to the left on my balcony - couldn't see the beach, but I could see the water, so points there. Points also for the most comfortable bed and the best pillows I've ever had in a hotel. Nice big TV too on the wall. But somehow the overall decor is too ornate (especially the marble look in the bathrooms - yikes). I also liked that you could get your own ice - I've been to resorts where you have to call for a bellman to come and bring you ice and that is really annoying, especially early, early in the morning when I need my diet coke NOW, not in a few minutes when the lone bellman that works the graveyard shift can get there. My biggest complaint, however, is that you are a ways away from everything. The beach looks like its at least 2-3 stories down from level one. I'm sure there is a stairway, but still its kind of far away. And out the front door there aren't any shops or restaurants that you could walk to. I'm sure that if you have a car (which they will gladly park for you for $35/night), this wouldn't be a problem. But I didn't have a car this time, so when my group finished early I couldn't really go anywhere in the 2 hours I had before meeting folks at the bar. The indoor bar was nice, but a bit pricey - $14 for my lemon drop martini with house vodka. (No I'm not from any big city so these prices kind of astound me). It was good though and food is available in the bar if you don't want to check out the restaurants. Speaking of food...the food provided for lunch the day of our meeting was outstanding. We had a buffett (which is always scary to me... I always think of the school cafeteria when I see a buffett) of a mini salad bar with a variety of lettuces and yummy toppings, then our choice of steak, chicken, salmon or pasta. Plus for dessert there was mixed berry cobbler with homemade buttermilk ice cream. All of that was fabulous (especially the dessert). Food at meetings is sometimes dismal, so this was a really pleasant surprise. But all in all this was not the best place I've ever stayed in the Laguna/Dana Point beach area. That distinction goes to Surf and Sand in Laguna Beach for its rooms facing the ocean and its location, location, location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed your overall experience with us and hope to be of service to you again in the future whether it be for business or pleasure.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

It was a totally beautiful stay. The hotel is set dramatically over a cliff, and the view is simply spectacular, either from your room or looking up from the beach. There's a nice walk down to the beach and around. All the staff are pleasant, attentive and courteous.

The room is very comfortable. I really like the his-and-her sinks in the bathroom, though the marbles with all the mirrors create too busy a pattern on the eyes. And the water closet is a bit tight in space. But I am just nick-picking here. This is truly a top notch hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We look forward to creating more memorable experiences for you in the future.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Room 4517 shower had not been cleaned. Several long hairs were stuck to side of the marble shower which I didn't notice until it was too late. The concierge was apologetic and credited our party with a $200 resort credit. Additionally, used gum is stuck behind elevator handles and under tables.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank James K
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you very much for letting us know about our housekeeping service inconsistencies. Your feedback is extremely valuable and has been acted upon. We hope you enjoyed your overall experience at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel. Please contact our Executive Office at (949) 240-2000 if we can assist you further. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for a much more memorable stay.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is the best hotel I've ever stayed in down to the service, attention to detail and staff. The views are absolutely breathtaking. We stayed in the presidential suite ocean view and it was stunning. One of the best hotel memories was shared here - a luxurious breakfast delivered via room service right to our own patio overlooking the ocean. We ate breakfast in our plush bathrobes and sipped coffee over the ocean. You can see the surfers early in the morning. The gym is a must see, it's a view overlooking the ocean. We had some drinks at the bar at night, they were delicious. The restaurant is also great, you must try the chocolate croissant. It's worth it.

Room Tip: Ocean View
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

The most exclusive room in the house! We are delighted you enjoyed your experience with us and we look forward to creating many more memories for you in the future.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

"All you could ask a hotel. Nice views, close to the see, kind staff, tasty and rich meals, amazon rooms full of every confort. Price is steep, aligned to the offer but this hotel with his sightseen it's a must for the place.
I strongly raccomend it, perfect choice.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel as your luxury destination. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dana Point
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#5 of 23 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#2 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa
Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa
#2 of 23 in Laguna Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!