The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
US$197
  • Beachfront
US$660
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Dana Point Inn-By-The-Sea(Dana Point)(Great Value!)
US$164
  • Restaurant
US$141
US$129
DanaPointMarina
Best Western Plus Marina Shores Hotel(Dana Point)(Great Value!)
US$157
US$143
BestWestern.com
  • Breakfast included
Capistrano Surfside Inn(Dana Point)(Great Value!)
US$235
US$296
Hotwire.com
2,464 results
All reviewsclub levelthe ritz carltonraya restaurantmarket placeocean viewoutdoor barfire pitsalt creek beachbeautiful locationthe cliffviews are amazingfitness centersouthern californiawatch the sunsetbusiness meetingboogie boardsluxury hotel
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Recently stayed for a corporate event. Was so excited and then quickly disappointed. I called ahead to find out if we were in an ocean view or courtyard view and was told an ocean view. Arrived and it was a corner courtyard with no view. OK, brush it off. Speaking of brush off, the hair that was never cleaned around the rim of the bathtub was gross and I'm not altogether certain came from my head. The ladies underwear that had been left in the drawer from the previous guest, was interesting to find while unpacking. Paper products in the bathroom not refilled one day. Don't ask the hotel staff because you will be told they don't live around there and don't know. If you need to get an important cellphone call it won't happen on the lower floor with a courtyard view as there is no cell service until you almost dip your toes in the swimming pool. The fancy kiosks in the lobby that list restaurant menu's and pricing apparently are old. I say that because we were charged $10 more per entrée at the poolside restaurant. When we brought it to the waiters attention he called his manager. We got our exercise because got to walk up the stairs to the kiosk and prove our point to her. No apology just a wow, not sure how that happened, no offer to comp anything on the bill just a promise to fix it and then she disappeared. I thought I would never want to leave being in the lap of luxury but honestly was ready to go home. Positives - The location is beautiful, the gym was great and the view from the elliptical was beautiful, the fresh flowers in the lobby were breathtaking, the staff is friendly and says hello. Would I stay again, probably not.

Room Tip: Don't bother staying here unless you have an ocean view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Laura A
ritzcarltonlaguna, Executive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you for your extremely valuable feedback. We greatly appreciate it. It has been used constructively and positively. We hope you have the chance to revisit us so we may provide you with the experience you expect. Please feel free to reach out to the Executive Office for future assistance.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

The hotel sits on a bluff overlooking the beach and pacific ocean. It is truly a beautiful setting. We had some glitches however during our stay that required a slight downgrade of our review. First, we were traveling with our two young children and asked specifically for a double room. When we arriveed we were told that the hotel was sold out and only a king room was available. So we were left with two kids in a king bed and a roll away. Not a great start. Luckily, my brother lives nearby and my son spent the night with his cousins. The following day, I went back to the front desk and they found was a double room but only after showing them my reservation email that clearly stated 4 to a room, which was made by central reservation. The front desk person blamed central reservation. I really didn't care since I expected more from the Ritz. The second reason for the downgrade is the valet service. The first time we needed out car, it took over 30 mintues. We texted 10 minutes before we went down and still waited 30 mionutes. I gave this a pass since the hotel was busy during Sunday checkout. Later that night, same story. I texted 10 minutes before we went down and still waited 30 minutes for our car. Not acceptable service anywhere. Otherwise, out stay was very nice. The grounds are well maintained and the staff are very nice and helpful. They don't nickel and dime you and bottled water, wifi, beach chairs, boogie boards, etc are all included. The rooms are a bit small and probably in need of a facelift soon but still comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you staying with us and providing such valuable feedback. We greatly appreciate your comments. Please be assured that we are very environmentally aware. We have several recycle bins visible throughout the property, and our ladies and gentlemen are trained to recycle all eligible products that may end up in the wrong bins. They do so in our back of the house areas. We hope to have the opportunity to have you visit again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

The view from the hotel was stunning, there is no doubt about that! We were on a trip sponsored by my Mother's company, and I tagged along. Every morning we would have breakfast on the Dana Lawn, and there is no complaining about that view or the weather. What I am annoyed about is that the hotel had cracked paint and scuffs along the walls in our room. But even that didn't annoy me as much as the fact that our room never got cleaned one day! And no, we did not have the "Do Not Disturb" thing on the door knob. We left the room to go whale watching at about 10:00 am, and got back at 3 p.m., and our room had not been cleaned. We didn't think it was a huge deal, but had a gala that evening so we decided to sneak in a nap before the maid showed up, and we were relegated to the patio. At 4:30, as we were getting dressed and doing our hair and make-up for the gala, someone knocked on our door and said "Has your room been cleaned yet?" Upon answering, I said "No, it hasn't but we are leaving our room in 15 minutes, could you do it then?" Her answer: "Yes, of course, we will be back in 15 minutes." When we got back at midnight, guess what? Our room had not been touched! We were both tired and annoyed, but at least wanted some clean towels, so I called down to the maid service and only got a busy signal for about 10 minutes. Finally, I contacted the front desk and said "No one ever cleaned our room today, can we at least get some clean towels?" The woman at the desk never even acknowledged my complaint, and said she would send the towels right up. About 10 minutes later, a very nice young man named Hugo brought our towels, I let him know about our room getting cleaned, and he apologized and said he would make sure his supervisor was made aware, and our room would be the first to be taken care of the next day. I don't know, but I have never even stayed at a Motel 6 where the room wasn't cleaned, let alone a hotel that has the repuation that the Ritz-Carlton does. I am not stranger to 5 star accomodations, and I think after the room not getting cleaned, I wouldn't patronize another Ritz.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Julia S

We are delighted you had the opportunity to visit the resort and we hope you enjoyed the gala. Thank you for letting us know of our service inconsistency. We have taken your comments constructively. We hope you return again soon. We are confident your next Ritz-Carlton experience will be a true Ritz-Carlton experience.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton for a conference. The rooms are very high priced, however, we were plagued problems in our room the minute we checked in. It started with a refrigerator that did not work that took over 24 hours and multiple phone calls to customer service until they replaced the fridge. We also delt with ants in the room, by the bed and by the refrigerator. Multiple calls to housekeeping resulted in them coming and wiping up the area however, the ants persisted resulting in an engineer being called to treat the room. Upon return from dinner, there were STILL ants crawling on the table and baseboards! There was no food on the table and only food was closed and placed in cabinet to limit chance of ant attraction. At this point we personally visited the customer service desk and were told there were no rooms to transfer to as they were fully booked. Overall, the rooms, cleanliness and service were very poor and not up to expectation with a Ritz Carlton resort!

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Jbjerk

Thank you for your feedback. We would welcome the chance to speak with you further. Kindly contact the Executive Office at the resort so we can ensure we regain your confidence in us. Thank you again for staying with us and providing your review.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We went for one night to get away last month and came away pretty disappointed. I'd agree with the recent reviewer who said that the hotel needs a facelift. I'd also say that it needs some friendlier front desk people. Our first room smelled of stale cigarette smoke, so we asked to change rooms. We eventually changed to another, which had the same smell. The staff advised us that because guests are allowed to smoke on the terraces, the smell drifts inside. The carpet was old and the bathtub had rust and a yellow-tinted bottom. Definitely not what I deem appropriate to use to bathe my toddler. Kind of a depressing room. The pool was nice, although the water was chilly. So chilly that my son and husband were shivering, and yet, when we asked whether the hotel might possibly turn the heater up a bit, were told a resolute no. The beach is nice, but nothing more spectacular than other spots around the Southern California coast, IMO.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank reinhardtk

Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel. We strive at all times to provide an exceptional experience for all of our guests. We are disappointed to hear you did not leave the resort with wonderful memories. We hope to make it up to you and regain your confidence. Please feel free to contact our office directly so we can make this right for you.