“Location, location, location!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
California
“Location, location, location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2009

This Ritz-Carlton is not only newly renovated (it no longer has the grandfather decor) with gorgeous rooms, restaurants and meeting space - but it's all about the location! This hotel has the most breathtaking views of Salt Creek Beach. It's high up on a cliff overlooking the ocean - if you love being near the ocean then this is the place to stay.

It wasn't as expensive as we imagined, especially if you take advantage of some of the specials they've had lately. We also loved the fitness room - with gorgrous views of surfers on the curls below. On your list of places to see in your lifetime - put this one high on your list.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

We stayed at the Ritz for 2 nights after our wedding. Beautiful property...there is no doubt of that. The public spaces are very nicely designed and the grounds very well kept. The location and beach access, including the beach shuttle were a nice bonus. We only ate breakfast at the hotel, but it was quite good.

When we arrived we were upsold on a ocean-front room. For only $50 this seemed like a nice upgrade. Unfortunately, our neighbor was a smoker, and being that property sits right on the coast, the breeze carried all the smoke right into our room. We requested a room change and got one without an issue on the other side of the hotel, still with a great ocean view. Once again however, cigarette smoke from other guests inundated our room...the whole idea of an ocean front room is to open the door from the balcony and enjoy the fresh tang of the sea...well...ummm...all we got was smoke. Please fix the smoking policy...this isn't 1960...expectations are different.

We booked our room through AAA and the package deal included resort fees, parking, etc... When we got our bill the resort fee was included. Argh!!!!! There is no excuse for a property of this caliber to make mistakes on bills. When we asked about this, and mentioned the smoking issues, the woman at the front desk said that she would refund us the $100 we spent on the upsold room and fix the mistake about the resort fee. We thanked her and left. When we looked at the bill in the car, we realized that the $100 refund was actually ADDED to our bill in addition to several other mystery charges. Rather than giving us a refund, our charges were almost $200 more than before we approached the front desk in the first place. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR HOTELS OF THIS CALIBER MAKING MISTAKES ON THE BILL!!!!!!!!

Service was uneven. No turn-down service on our first night but we got it on night two. The towels in the bathroom are cheap and tiny. Seriously...no excuses for that at a Ritz-Carlton Hotel.

Oh...the spa...WHAT AN OVERPRICED JOKE! I live in Los Angeles and am a regular at some of the cities finest spas...$195 for a 60 minute massage???? Totally outrageous and detached from reality.

All in all it was a very relaxing stay. The folks working the bars and the parking were very friendly and efficient...but in general the service doesn't come close to other properties we've stayed at of the same quality including other Ritz hotels, Four Seasons, St. Regis, etc...

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lumengiant
las vegas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2009

WOW! This resort is spectacular!!! From the breathtaking views from the cliff, to the remarkable staff and service, this hotel was fabulous! We took the recommendation of another guest who reviewed the hotel and upgraded to the Club Level, which is a must! This is by far the most service-oriented, friendly, professional Club Level staff we have ever experienced at a Ritz-Carlton or any other hotel Club Level for that matter. They made both my husband and I, as well as our 2 year old daughter feel special from the minute we arrived! This is a MUST stay if you are visiting the Laguna Beach area. We will not stay in Newport Beach again after staying in Laguna and at this resort! And if you do go, be sure to bring workout clothes! You cannot miss the opportunity to workout on the cliffs looking out over the ocean! Nothing short of spectacular and it makes the 30 minute workout on the elliptical go very fast! Enjoy!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

Beautiful hotel, as everyone has previously written. Gorgeous views, lovely chairs on the bluff from which to watch the sunset. Pool is typical of the nicer hotels but is located in a courtyard area.

Although there is a shuttle to the beach, it is a short walk away down a path. My children loved the beach. We surfed nearby at Doheny State Beach (see review of gotsurflessons.com - they were awesome).

The room was beautiful and the view amazing. The service - particularly the guest relation manager, Lynda - made our stay very memorable. We celebrated my 12-year old daughter's birthday and they really went out of their way to make her feel special, from a card in the room to sand buckets for the kids. Just spectacular!

Another fun thing the Ritz offers are room service packs. One included a few beers, nuts, Sports Illustrated, jerky, cooler and water bottle which kept my husband happy while the kids ordered the movie night with popcorn, soda and candy. All were quite reasonably priced.

We ate at the hotel restaurant for dinner. Somewhat expensive, as you would expect, but very good food and excellent service. Concierge recommended a wonderful Italian restaurant nearby. Amazing views from the fitness center; challenging running trails.

All in all, we loved the Ritz Carlton and would definitely return!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2009

During my stay I stopped into the spa to take a look around. So far everyone was great but after two people had asked me if I had any questions and I told them no I was fine and just looking around, yet another person comes out of a room to ask me YET AGAIN! She said she was the director of the spa and would be more than happy to assist me. She was very pushy and I felt like she thought I was gonna steal something rather than buy something. Or maybe they work off of commission and that's why she wouldn't leave me alone. And is it really her job to sell me products? Judging by the way she looks, she shouldn't be giving out advice to anyone. Overall, I was very disappointed with my experience in the spa and since it made me feel so uncomfortable, I just had to warn people about her. Stick to the nice ladies in black, they aren't pushy and they know what they're talking about, not there to sell you a bunch of stuff you don't want. I think one of their names started with a T (maybe) -she was very sweet and made me feel very welcome in the spa. The rest of the hotel was great, you can't beat the view of the ocean.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank FishFry32
Poway, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2009

We stayed on the club level (food presentations and private concierge). Tina the concierge (on the club level)was beyond any I have met in all my travels. I can not express how helpful she was. I felt like I was family every time I got off the elevator.
Quite a difference from the downstairs general concierge. The brunette looked down her nose at me both times I stopped by the desk to ask a question. Extremely unhelpful.
Great valet. They even put waters in our car for the ride home!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chkeeta
Lodi, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

It was not like we were surprised; we have enjoyed every Ritz we have stayed at. Some we were wowed by and some just pleased, but always happy. From seeing the property online we knew it was in a beautiful coastal location and that did not fail to please; the view from this hotel is just perfection. Over looking the pacific from atop a bluff but not so far up or off the beach that it is hard to access. Just a short walk and we were down on the sand ! Lots to see on the beach each day as far as surfers and people, great weather although a bit overcast it was a nice 75* each day. The hotel itself is impecable and decorated in a very clean modern motif. Along with South Beach Miami it was the best decor we have seen. The restaurant 162' has huge windows over looking the beach which we had breakfast at each day. They had a fantastic although pricey Seafood buffet Friday evening (75$) and Sunday brunch($80) with champagne and caviar- both excellent but only a good value if you are big eaters. The Bar which it is named is also situated with a nice shore view and has a nice atmosphere. Our room was club level which we always enjoy having for those between meal snacks and beverages all day long. The room had a pool view and was a very well decorated place as well. King bed, chaise lounge at the foot and a throw blanket I loved so much I bought one in the gift shop. Our balcony overlooked the Koi pond which we enjoyed each day. Above all what makes the Ritz above all other places is the service. They never forget your name, they will go anywhere, do anything you could possible want, need or ask. The place is gorgeous, the people fantastic. We would return here again and again and hopefully we will ! ALSO, what many others have said about this hotel over St Regis we believe to be true. Although we did not see their hotel, we did drive by and it is NOT on the ocean or beach and cannot compare in that way with Ritz Carlton Laguna NIguel !

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#5 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,439 reviews
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,080 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Shores Hotel
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#8 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!