“Terrible Ritz experience”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“Terrible Ritz experience”
Reviewed 17 August 2009

This was not even close to a Ritz experience.... Took 1 full hour to get Ca from valet.... No lounge seats, probably because there is nobody stopping outside people from coming to the pool.
At the poo bar/restaurant l it took one hour to get simple food.
When an older person in our party needed the shuttle from the beach we needed to convince the driver that the person was more important then the chairs he was trying to bring.
Property is maginificent but the place needs a service overhaul...

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
NYC
Reviewed 15 August 2009

Just returned from our 4 night stay at the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel. Other than the nice ocean view from the room, we were quite disappointed on every front.
Room: We had one bedroom suite which, according to the bellman, was recently renovated. We could not tell. Some furniture were new, but some were quite old. Our balcony had a huge crack on its edge which made us weary about standing on it. While the suite was spacious, the room arrangement was awkward. It had a huge dining table, but a closet was tiny. It had a mini sink area but not even a coffee maker in the suite. It didn't have a separate shower and tub.
Service: not what I would expect from the Ritz. No greeting from the staff. Other than a few pool and beach attendants, I didn't find the staff to be helpful at all. Further, our suite was across the hall from maid closet. So from 7AM on, we would wake up to loud chatter even when we put up a privacy sign on the door.
Pet peeve: this has never happened to us with any other hotel, but we actually received a second bill from hotel AFTER we returned home. It included parking fee and breakfast we had for the last 2 days of our stay. Don't they update guest accounts more frequently than that?
Luckily, we've stayed at other Ritz properties that were excellent both in amenities and service. This Ritz Carlton, unfortunately pales in comparison.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Lansdowne, Virginia
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Spent a long weekend at resort attending a wedding. Valet is prompt, making use of large porte-cochere. Check-in was far too slow with no one even at the desk at first. Check-in desk itself is discreetly tucked away upon entering the lobby. First part of lobby is a long corridor that “runs away from you”—it is quite striking. The second part of the lobby runs perpendicular to the first part (think the shape of the number “7”) and sits on a cliff above the Pacific—wake up early and have juice/coffee at this spot.

Rooms generally overlook the pool area or the Pacific—we chose the pool and that was a mistake. Did not take advantage of many of the amenities, but imagine the spa is very nice.

While the location of the resort is everything you’d expect if you conjured up California, it is away from any activity. Travel north (especially) and south on PCH and the “real world” can be found, but you’d better enjoy “down time” (e.g., spa, reading, walking) or surfing if you stay here.

FYI—friends married at resort were generally pleased with experience, but with small guest list (25 or so—understandable given cost), wedding lacked a certain something.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled as a couple
Corona del Mar, CA
Reviewed 30 July 2009

For my mother's 80th birthday my father hosted a weekend for close friends and family, 20 of us in all. The hotel was able to arrange rooms for us all in one wing and fairly close.

The staff never missed a beat on any of the events. We had private cocktail parties with our own watier both nights. One night was at Eno for wine flights and tastings with cheese and charcuterie plates and the next night was on the Terrace with some great seafood appetizers.

For the actual birthday dinner, Restaurant 162’ was able to arrange a private dining room with a dedicated wait staff.

During the day we pooled and relaxed, most of the guests live in So Cal so there was no need to sightsee. My dad took the grandkids surfing both days at Salt Creek, I joined in one day, but it was too crowded for my tastes so I skipped Sunday.

It couldn't have been a better weekend and the Ritz hasn't missed a beat from when I first stayed there 20+ years ago.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
denver
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Stay Summary:

Ritz Carlton – Laguna Niguel, California
*** out of ***** Stars
Final comments:
If you are a traveler that enjoys the Marriott or Holiday Inn Crown Plaza, then you should consider the Ritz Carlton’s Laguna Niguel If you are a traveler that frequently stays at the Four Seasons, St. Regis, RELAIS & CHÂTEAUX, then I would consider the new Montage.. It appears that due to the recession, the Ritz has had to compromised it's senior staff by hiring a new, very young,unseasoned staff to deliver their past Malcom Baldridge award winning service. In fact, just for fun, count how many, “I sorry” $735 dollars can get you a night.

Pre Resort Experience
Online Booking and ease: 5 Stars
Responsiveness to reservation inquiry: 5 Stars
Reservationist Property and local knowledge: 5 Stars
Resort Email Communications Pre stay: 5 Stars

Resort Check- In Experience
Ease: 3 Stars (Note: Arrived 3:34 pm was checked in at 5:30pm – Note “I sorry”)
Accuracy: 5 Stars

Gay Friendly: 5 Stars
Couple Friendly: 5 Stars

Room
Décor: 5 Stars.
Linens and Bed: 3 Stars. (very small king)
Towels: 3 Stars (Thin and not absorbent)
Housekeeping Morning: 3 Stars (Note: wine glasses, pool water glasses, etc sat for two days until I had to put in the hallway for pick up)
Housekeeping evening turndown: 3 Stars (see above)
Technology: 3 Stars (Note: No wireless connection but received an “I sorry”)
Bathroom: 3 Stars (Note: Lighting is dark, no ventilation fan, no water pressure.)
Workspace: 4 Stars (Note: Good placement for electrical outlets and work space)
Mini Bar – No mini bar or snacks.
(Note: Be sure to include taxes, room service fee’s, and gratuity on your mini bar orders. Most would say, hey if this is a problem, don’t stay at the Ritz. But I say, act like a Ritz, and you can charge me $20 for my coffee.)

Spa and Pool:

Pool: 3 Stars (Note: Adult pool has children, and children’s pool has locals. Pool Service: 3 Stars ( Note: hard to get the attention of the staff for drinks for food service. During our lunch at the pool restaurant, a swimmer decided to change trunks in the restroom and dry out his wet trunks on the table chair next to me. See picture. Call me crazy but seeing some strangers underwear drying on the table next to me in a restaurant - is just not appealing to my senses. :

Hotel Restaurant:

Service: 3 Stars (Note: Multiple mis-orders, over billing. Another “I Sorry moment”. )
Menu: 3 Stars (Note: Limited menu which is available at all restaurants. Please note you will want to have a car to drive off property to have variety.)
Décor: 5 Stars (Note: Very well done and magical views of the ocean.)
Pricing: $$$

Bar:
Service: 4 Stars . (Note: Multiple errors on drink orders, Another“I sorry” moment.
Décor: 5 Stars
Pricing: $$$

Grounds and layout:
5 Stars
Liked — Hotel rooms were small but nice. The views are wonderful. Hotel décor is outstanding.
Disliked — All were service related so this hotel is equivalent to a three star since that is the service it delivered to me during my week stay. If service is important to you, then skip it and spend your cash on a hotel that can deliver both service and luxury.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank customerexp411
los angeles
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Arrived for 4th of July. We were put in a dirty unmade room.Had to be moved to another one. Took valet parkers over 70 rings to get my car.. No Lounge chairs available at either pool.. Was told to lay on grass like a homeless person.. Ordered room service for 9am and it showed up at 11am. The service here is poor and the only good thing about this hotel is the location and housekeepers. Over-priced for what you get and I have stayed at many of there resorts. The service here needs a major-overhaul. I will never go back here!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank estevan82
Babylon, New York
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Amazing experience at Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel. We were treated as royalty! The front desk clerk spoke French, to my pleasant surprise! The bellman - which was much more than just a bellman - showed us around the property giving us information on the hotel and its amenities. The room was spacious and flawless. The room had a balcony overlooking the pool and garden area. The hotel as different terrasses on different levels with breathtaking view. Pacific sunsets are to die for! The beach is huge and perfect for a swim or sunbathing. I would recommand this hotel to anyone who wants a romantic getaway. Great job!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!