“Perfect getaway location”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Virginia Beach
“Perfect getaway location”
Reviewed 21 July 2010

This hotel is top notch for many reasons... the setting is gorgeous, overlooking the beach at a prime surf spot. My husband is a surfer, and the hotel graciously arranged to have two boards delivered from a local shop for him. Anytime we expressed an interest in something, someone was immediately trying to make it happen. The service was amazing. You have the best view of a fantastic sunset each evening... there are many places on the grounds and inside to enjoy it. There are two pools which are both very nice, as well as hot tubs. The room was quite plush with very comfortable beds, very clean, and modern. The fitness center was fabulous - overlooking the water, so I could watch my husband surf while I worked out! The yoga instructor was top notch - did a class (free) outside that was wonderful. Laguna Beach is a beautiful town with quaint shops and restaurants. It doesn't appear to be a 'party town,' which is nice. We will surely go back and hope that we can stay at the Ritz.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
El Cajon, California
Reviewed 14 July 2010

the staff at this hotel know politeness, kindness and a great memory for your name.
of course it is gorgeous and smells heavenly when you check in and that atmosphere stays with you during your whole visit.
one ongoing problem for a short person. 5 feet tall. i cannot get up and into and onto the new giant high beds. at the montage and new here at the ritz i had to have a foot stool brought in just so i could get on the bed. it is dangerous, especially at night,
and awkward as heck. the person who brought our luggage to the room mentioned something about big families checking in and needing room under the beds for storage of their luggage? i guess the people who spend the most win. we had oceanfront
room. balcony with table and two chairs. the room was small. much smaller than i anticipated and unfortunately we were there during the big chill. lovely room and bath but small. room service excellent. quick and food was warm and served and plated nicely.
we dined in the restaurant, Raya, two nights. service was very very good. food was good, ok . we were not impressed. a nice plate with dribs and drabs of all sorts of
sauces/mousses/mixtures dressing the plate but not doing much for the taste of the
dinner. if you have time to leave the hotel to eat do it. the small cafe with tv screens and fireplace was exceptional. wait until you try the french fries in that room.
Splashes restaurant at the sand and sea (sea and sand?) was on our itinerary.
besides the oceanside location it wasn't much to brag about. another big price for
some sometimes unidentifiable dribs and drabs decorating the plate. the waiter at the table next to us was explaining all of these things to his patrons but our waiter did not have a good command of the English language so we were sort of in the dark as to what
some of the things we were tasting were.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Oakland
Reviewed 14 July 2010

We just returned home from an amazing long weekend at the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel. We were down in Southern California with a group of friends for our high school reunion.

From the minute we pulled up in our car, they were using our name (i still can't figure out how they knew) and the service was amazing. The hotel is located directly over the the Pacific Ocean and we enjoyed watching the surfers in the ocean as well as being spoiled by the hotel's "beach butlers."

We only had the opportunity to eat one meal at the hotel but we did get to experience Raya which according to our bellman is just a few months old. We were lucky enough to get a window table and enjoyed a wonderful sunset and superb food.

We were blown away by the service, location, condition of hotel and all the activities they offered. We both strongly would disagree with the comments below and can't wait to find another excuse to go back to Laguna Niguel and the Ritz!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
studio ciy
Reviewed 2 July 2010

· While waiting almost 90 minutes to check in, I used the lobby restroom. This was not very clean and the hand towels and toiletries where scattered throughout the restroom.
· When I checked into my room, I asked the bellman for a water bowl for my two small dogs. After 45 minutes, I called the front desk to check the status of my request. It took another 45 minutes to receive the bowls.
· Once I got settled in the room, I noticed there weren’t any wine or champagne glasses. I called the front desk and they told me that the glasses should already have been in the room. They were not so I request some be brought over. That took over an hour.
· The room itself was not very clean, the carpet was dirty and the towels were threadbare. There was also no water pressure in my room, so I never managed to shower during my stay.
· When trying to book into your new restaurant, Raya, I was told nothing was available until after 9:00pm and there would not be space for my two guests. When we arrived for dinner, the restaurant was almost empty. The food was good but the service was poor. I had to request the wine list three times.
· Although the bar staff were friendly, the bar was messy, with various cabinets left open and napkins on the floor.
· After dinner, my wife and two physician colleagues who were also staying at the hotel went back to my room which had a ground floor patio. Security promptly arrived stating that we were making too much noise, which was strange as we were speaking very softly, outside, with no music or TV playing. The gentleman then informed me that all non-hotel guests need to be removed from my room immediately. I told them my two guests were staying at the hotel -- at which time he wedged his foot in the door to keep it open and instructed my guests to leave the room immediately. He also said to me that if I did not comply, I would be removed from the hotel. I’m sure you can appreciate the embarrassment this caused me personally as well as my highly-esteemed guests.
· I called the front desk to check out. They asked what the problem was and then said they would rectify the situation but never did.
· We subsequently packed our bags and left the hotel, forfeiting our resort credit and pre-paid breakfast.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
8 Thank kah200318
Ventura County, CA
Reviewed 29 June 2010

September 2007- my fiance booked a room for our wedding night here. We arrive at 11pm, after our reception, still dressed to the T, and the front desk staff says that they gave our honeymoon, ocean view room to another guest. What they did have available was a room with 2 beds. Mind you I am in my wedding dress and my husband is in a tux. This was not acceptable, and that is what we told the man. They "cleaned" a room for us, however we waited over 30 minutes in the lobby. I was sure to tell everyone who commented on us sitting in the lobby with frowning faces what the Ritz had done. By the time we got to our room, we were so exhausted and pissed, we showered and went to bed. So much for our wedding night.
This also happened to another friend of mine, a year and a half later at the same location. The Ritz never called to appologize, offer breakfast the next morning, or anything. To this day, my husband and I share this painful beginning of our marriage anytime people we are with talk about their weddings. It will haunt us forever. We are from that area too.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank longbrdpam
New York
Reviewed 10 June 2010

The Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel has beautiful views - it's on the edge of a cliff with views up the coastline and of the beach. It is a good 10 minute walk to get down to the beach, and a bit strenuous to get back up to the hotel but definitely doable. To be honest, the view and beach experience are almost better from the hotel; when we got down to the beach, it was quite crowded and difficult to find some open sand to yourself. At the time while we were there (late March), it may have been some kind of spring break because the beach was teeming with teenagers everywhere.

The hotel lobby and public areas are well appointed, and the hotel staff try to be generally helpful. When we arrived, we were immediately asked if we wanted bottled waters while we waited in the check in line. The tennis courts are well maintained with a number of complimentary tennis racquets and balls to use. We also really enjoyed attending the complimentary yoga class that is offered every morning - we had a friendly, knowledgeable instructor and only 2 other people in the class besides us. The gym has amazing floor to ceiling windows that over look the property.

Though we were generally happy with our stay, I did not feel like the hotel was up to 5 star standards and was overpriced. The rooms are extremely small (the rooms with double beds have full sized beds rather than queen) and one of our two sinks did not drain at all. We had to resort to sharing one sink. The shower also did not drain well. One of our standard Ritz Carlton plush bath robes had a big yellow-brownish stain on it that really made it a bit un-appetizing. We were a little early for check in and they did not have a room available for us. It is extremely expensive to eat in the hotel, and there really are not many options otherwise.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed 6 June 2010

Went with my husband for our 10 year anniversary. Location is beautiful. Rooms are outdated. Scratched up furniture and awefully ripped curtains. They should check after every visitor. Rusty air conditioning which I had to turn of in the middle of the night, because it was SUPER NOISY.No turn down service, which was dissapointing! Front desk recommended the 162 restaurant for dinner and made reservations for us in the morning, but forgot to mention that the Raya restaurant and restaurant 162 are indeed the SAME place.They should mention that and change the directory or put a new sign on.
So we eat there twice, which was fine, because the food is very good and not overpriced at all.Had rose pedals on the table and a poem which was nice.If we would have eaten somewhere else, there would have been no recognition of our special weekend at all. Very nice staff all over. I missed the ritzy feel and pampering part. Stayed at different Ritz before and was missing the "taken care of"part which is ususally Ritz 's signature.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!