“Disappointing”

The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 October 2010

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for a long weekend to celebrate our anniversary. I had been to the hotel 10 years previously and remembered the fantastic view of the Pacific and the usual impeccable service of the Ritz Carlton. I was eager to return with my wife, but was sadly disappointed in many respects.
The hotel was not properly staffed resulting in long waits for virtually all services. In fact, I wondered if it was the same hotel that I had previously enjoyed so much. For a normal hotel it might have been acceptable, but expectations of the Ritz Carlton are higher.

Long waits for service at the pool, the market and the restaurant became frustrating as an ice tea could take 30-45 minutes to arrive. Also, the hallways were dirty and the room that we had as well as, the hallways were in need of painting. The night staff failed to notice that the shampoo and conditioner were empty, thus the next morning my shower had to wait until someone arrived with a fresh supply.

More fundamentally, the common area were simply inadequate in size in proportion to the size of the hotel including the gym, market and restaurant. The gym was unstaffed and not checked regularly to ensure water and towels were available.

If you are in the area, the Montage, which has received great reviews, might be a better choice.

There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel

Reviewed 28 September 2010

If you are staying anywhere near Laguna, do yourself a favor and stay at the Ritz.. This hotel is truly beautiful, the location, the rooms and of course the service. From the minute you walk in you know you are in for a treat.
The sunset patio is probably the most beautiful place to watch the sunset and enjoy some sushi!
Thank you to the staff at the Ritz!

2  Thank bowar3
Reviewed 27 September 2010

This trip goes back a few years (pre Oct 2009 but that's as far back as the site allowed me to go) and I have always felt guilty re not writing to management re our stay. Besides the fact that the resort was perfect in every way, we had an unusual event in our family and I just want to let everyone know how it was handled by the staff. In the middle of the night, my husband woke up very ill to the point that he said he needed to go to the hospital. (He's not a complainer or hypochondriac so I knew this could be serious). I called the front desk and asked if they could call for a cab as we needed to get to the hospital asap. Before I hung up the phone there was a knock at the door . In the hall was a staff member with a wheelchair for my husband. When we got to the hotel entrance there was a Ritz van waiting to drive us to the hospital. The driver pulled up to the emergency room entrance, dropped us off, parked and came in. He told the receptionist to please call the hotel when she knew we would soon be leaving (assuming we wouldn't be staying over). When we were ready to leave the hospital several hours later, the driver and van were waiting for us. I never forgot this incident and think about it whenever someone we know has the same problem my husband had that night (kidney stone and for those of you who thankfully have never had one, it's said that the only health event more painful is a heart attack).
We've stayed at many Ritz-Carlton's and have loved them all, but this one was a standout for us and we'll never forget it.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Beautiful hotel, beautiful views, but horrible service! Everything from the front desk, to the valet parking to the waitstaff and the security. The service people were completely rude to your face and so slow in about every aspect of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2010

This Ritz Calton is wonderful and the view from our room was to die for! We dined in the restaurant for dinner and the steak with black truffle sauce was so fantastic that we went back the next evening! All of our experiences here were great! The spa was really nice and beautiful and the treatments were lovely. I even took a tennis lessson because the resort has really nice tennis courts. The pool was nice too. We had so much fun! The staff was extremely nice too. I thought that the rooms seemed like they might need new carpet but that was the only flaw I saw.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We just returned from this property and are still starry-eyed. We've stayed at many a SoCal beachfront resort. This one is the best yet. Breathtaking views. Beautiful rooms that are thoroughly cleaned, not just surface dusted. Service like I've never experienced at a beach resort. Every staff member I came across made a genuine effort to get me what I was looking for, and actually succeeded. Their staff is clearly expected to be smart and is empowered to do what it takes to deliver results. A first for me at a SoCal beach resort!

I never use a hotel's fitness center when I'm on vacation, but theirs lured me in. The machines all face a full wall of windows that overlook the ocean beyond the bluff. That view can be credited to extending 15 minutes to my usual workout. The facility is well maintained and has plenty of machines.

The only things that weren't 5-star worthy were the coffee stand and Concierge desk. It's just that over $18.00 for two cups of takeout coffee and two tiny 3-inch diameter pastries is high by any standard (no in room coffee). Also, it should be assumed I wouldn't be calling the Concierge with the expectation to have them simply look up my request on MapQuest. My phone can do that. Concierge staff needed more local knowledge. Minor pauses, however, made up by everyone's great attitude. I can't wait to return!

1  Thank rather_be
Reviewed 19 September 2010

It is very clear that Ritz-Laguna has let its room experience slip dramatically. As a frequent guest at various So Cal coastal hotels, the Ritz is no longer a viable option. The Montage (among many others within 20 mile of the Ritz) so dramatically surpasses the Ritz, there is no point in a stay at the Ritz.

We recently stayed there (first week of July 2010), in one of the ocean view rooms, so paying approximately $900 nightly, and the experience was shockingly bad. The room was messy upon arrival, food on the carpet, burned matchsticks around the toilet, broken refrigerator, among other maladies.

Subsequent to the stay, I received a conciliatory phone call from the general manager of house keeping, and we had a nice conversation about the importance of the Ritz brand, etc. So there is a stated desire to compete with the other luxury brands, but I view that as inconsequential lip service.

For those looking to stay in a beautiful coastal property, I would recommend a number of other hotels from Newport Beach to San Diego that deliver so much more than the Ritz. I only recommend the Ritz for the restaurant. Sleep in a better place.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel? Share your experiences!