“Very happy.”

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My wife and I spent the night here in celebration of our anniversary. We live in the area so we were just looking for a relaxing night away from the kids. We were not disappointed. The hotel is very nice as was the room. We requested an ocean view and had a wonderful view of the harbor and ocean. The balcony was a little small and only had two high chairs rather than lounge chairs. If we go again, we'll clarify our request. We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel's restaurant "The Vue". While the food was decent and priced about what you would expect for a resort hotel, the service was fantastic for both meals. I will definitely recommend this hotel to any friends coming in to town.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Thank you for your review and happy anniversary! We are delighted that you chose our resort to celebrate your special day. Thank you for the wonderful compliments regarding the outstanding service you received from our staff. We take great pride in the outstanding service we provide to our guests and we thank you for recommending our resort to friends and family. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

I am giving this hotel 4 stars primarily on location, as well as beauty of the grounds and nearby park. The setting of the hotel is superb and the hotel, itself, is a beautiful site atop the cliff/hill. That said, everything else about the hotel is typical Marriott. Nothing special about the rooms or facilities.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your compliments regarding the resorts beautiful grounds and ocean views. The location is quite superb with breathtaking panoramic views of the Pacific. We hope you and your guest had a lovely experience and we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed 22 May 2013

It looks from the outside fabulous. It is also a very nice looking hotel. Unfortunately, it is totally overpriced. The room I was given was at the very back of the hotel in an adjoining building. My view was that of the traffic down below. In comparison to other hotels I felt the room was rather small. I do not think the hotel was even close to being half filled, unlike a previous review I have read I was not offered an upgrade. Given that this is an overpriced hotel that would have been nice. There is a $25.00 resort fee which basically lets you have Wifi and the use of the pool. It is a nice pool and the staff of the facility is extremely friendly. I suppose I could have found a parking space on the street, but would have had to drag bags up a hill, so for $36.00 I let them park my car. Oh, the $25.00 resort fee was not what I was told with my written confirmation. I suppose they had raised the price. I was told $15.00,
Dinner was good but overpriced. Unfortunately they talk about an ocean view, but from the restaurant you really can't see the ocean, it is obscured by an event lawn. In fact when you hear the name "Cliffs" you assume it overlooks the ocean. The ocean is actually a distance away. I believe I was also hurt by a fog that I understand comes in the end of May and early June.
It wan't an awful experince. It is a very nice hotel, but really not worth the money. I wouldn't go there again. The drain was also slow in my room.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your compliments regarding our “extremely” friendly staff and nice pools. We regret that you felt the resort was overpriced. Our resort fee of $25.00 is stated on all confirmation e-mails and we apologize for any miscommunication with the fee. Our restaurant does in fact have an ocean-view but on very rare occasions it may be obstructed due to fog or an event on property that has special requests. Another area at the resort that captures the ocean- view quite beautifully is our OverVue Deck which sits above the Vue Restaurant. We want to thank you for your feedback. Your opinion is extremely valuable to us and our goal is for every guest to be completely satisfied during their stay.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever had the pleasure of staying at. The views are great, the room was huge and beautiful. We were even upgraded to a suite at no additional cost and we even got the hotel on Hotwire for half the normal price.

We have stayed at several JW Marriots and this is just as nice and plush as those. The food was top notch and the drinks were great. It is only a short walk to the Marina where there are many stores and lots of restaurants.

Room Tip: The corner suite we had was great.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Thank you for your wonderful compliments and for rating the resort with 5 stars. We are delighted to hear that the Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa is the nicest hotel you’ve ever stayed at. Our goal is to provide an exceptional experience for each and every guest and we are happy to hear that you were extremely pleased with everything during your stay. We hope that you and your wife visit us again soon. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

It was wonderfully relaxing and enjoyable stay. Found all the staff to be helpful and understanding. The room was very clean. It had a balcony with a beautiful view over looking the Lantern Bay Park and the Dana Point Harbor. I especially enjoyed the continental breakfast that included a chef that would make customized omelets. While there we took advantage of The Spa. It was a relaxing and rejuvenating after busy day site seeing! I would certainly return for another stay if the opportunity arose.

Room Tip: Ocean Views are the best. So be sure to request one. If you have any questions the staff is very hel...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Thank you for your review and wonderful compliments regarding our staff and beautiful resort. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of our Spa. The omelet station is one of my favorites as well and we thank you for sharing your experience with us. We hope you do return again soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Perhaps it's the tone set by the mandatory $32 per night valet parking. The eagerness to offer $5 glasses of juice to the kids at breakfast ("Juice?" with bright smile, what kid says no?). The internet fees. Booking by phone at $209 per night, then hearing at check-in that's just for the first night, $219 thereafter... I admit it kind of sets me on a defensive tone.

The hotel is very beautiful, the rooms comfortable, the pool is incredibly nice with a gorgeous view. I can't give it a bad review. One thing that bothered us however is that there's no northern entry/exit door. The shops and restaurants and pier are to the northwest, but the hotel has only service entry that way (I tried entering after a walk up the hill and was sent out to the parking garage). The lobby is on the southeast, which requires a longer walk. I couldn't help but imagine that they designed it to discourage use of the area restaurants. I probably wouldn't imagine that if I didn't have to pay a valet to fetch my car to drive to them.

To be fair, It may just be the cost of operating in California, and I don't have enough other hotel experience to compare it to. But I think they'll get better marks if they do something about the valet fees, you really feel trapped by them and it sets things off on a bad foot.

Room Tip: Higher floors seem better, use the right stairs and you save elevator time, but the wrong stairs lea...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2013

Thank you for your review and feedback. Your opinion is very valuable to us and our goal is to have every guest’s experience with us, an exceptional one. In regards to the parking fees, in recent parking surveys we’ve conducted with our fellow resorts located on the coastline, we have found our parking rates to be in line and are actually the most economical. We apologize if this was an inconvenience to you.

Please note that if occupancy permits, we do offer our guests a shuttle service that will take them to and from the harbor. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 22 April 2013 via mobile

Beautiful location! Once you arrive you really don't need your car- which is good because it is all valet. Parking is a bit expensive, but in line with other area hotels. The partial ocean view gave us a nice view over the lawn and park to the ocean. The balcony was a great place to have morning coffee. The room was very clean and nicely furnished, and the bedding very comfortable and crisp. The lounge had live entertainment both nights. The hotel was just a set of stairs away from the harbor, and several waterfront restaurants. A whale watching company offers sunset cruises if you feel like a few hours out on the water. Doheny beach is a easy walk away. Great way to spend a weekend.

• Stayed: April 2013
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Thank you for your kind review and for rating our resort with 5 stars. We are delighted that you enjoyed the ocean and park views from your guest room and that you enjoyed the décor. We are happy that you enjoyed the music in our OverVue Lounge. Our live entertainment is every Friday and Saturday nights. I would highly recommend the Sunset Whale Watching Cruises too. We hope that you visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dana Point
#4 of 22 in Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!