“Nice Surprise”

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here for my husband's birthday. We live somewhat locally so I'd describe this as a "staycation". I can't complain about much of anything- thus the 5 star. The room, though a little small, was clean, quiet, the beds were comfy and we had a nice view. The A/C was a little noisy- but we sleep with a noise machine so it didn't bother us. I had requested a king bed/ocean view- but I was informed both in my reservation and on the phone there was no guarantee I'd get it because they were pretty booked. We did get doubles- with a single bed it would probably feel a little roomier. Valet is not optional and there are resort fees- but this is not out of line with any other hotel in the area. (And they are clearly stated on the reservation).Plus the resort fee includes bike rental, boogie boards and other things you normally wouldn't get. Location is perched on a lovely grassy hill with ocean views. Dana Point is a short walk (but down a big flight of stairs) away. Pools are small but nicely equipped with comfy chairs and lounges. Service was very good. We left a nice bottle of wine in our cab on the way to dinner. I called the hotel from our restaurant in a panic and 5 minutes later we had our bottle back from the cabbie.
We'll certainly return...I wish we had booked a longer stay. The nice ocean breeze and relaxing location made leaving more difficult than I expected.

Room Tip: Ocean view is certainly nice...but keep in mind pool view rooms can also be over the "adult&quo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for your 5 star review. We are delighted that you choose to celebrate your husband’s birthday with us. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for your wonderful compliments regarding our exceptional staff service and the beautiful resort. We are happy to hear that you retrieved your bottle of wine from the cab ride and that you are looking forward to your next stay with us. We hope you next staycation is longer so you can enjoy all the amenities the resort has to offer. See you soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,429)

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is a charming hotel property upon a small hill with great grounds and views. The rooms have been refurbished within the past decade and are about on par with a 4* in the area that won't really amaze you. When I booked the room, I noticed there was a resort fee. And extra $25 (PLUS TAX) WHY can't they advertise the total night room cost WITH the resort fee included as you are going to have to pay that anyways? Its false advertising. As if that isn't bad enough, they charge a parking fee of $32 A NIGHT! Are you kidding me? So, that's $57 (NOT including tax) that is tacked on your bill which is also taxed with the total bringing your ACTUAL nightly cost to around $80-90 MORE than advertised. Its absolute robbery.

This is a total shame because the property was in a great location and staff were genuinely very nice. I am so sick of hearing the managers say that its 'competitive' pricing when they charge a resort fee (that, lets be honest, SHOULD BE OPTIONAL since it doesn't make me want to go there and or majority of people don't even use the ''extras'') and a RIDICULOUS free to PARK your car. I will never stay at this hotel again and have turned away plenty when they ask me where to stay because of this. This location isn't the only hotel in the area (Huntington/Newport/Laguna) that are doing this. Its completely unfair to advertise a price that is not at all what you end up paying.

If you are ok with getting ripped off with surprise fees, then stay here as the location/hotel is very nice, but it won't overwhelm you and its certainly not worth the price. The only reason I won't give this place a 1 rating is because of the property and location.

Room Tip: Ask them where else to stay that doesn't gouge the customers with 'surprise fees'
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Zoso68
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for your review. As you mentioned in your review, all of our fees are noted and clearly stated on the website at time of booking and on confirmation e-mails. We are upfront about all of our fees so that no guest is surprised. You are right that we mention our pricing is “competitive”, in fact in recent parking and resort fee surveys we’ve conducted with our fellow resorts located on the coastline, we have found our parking and resort fee rates to be in line and are actually the most economical.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I booked my parents a stay at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott for a 40th anniversary present. I had requested a room with a king bed because the reservation stated it was not gauranteed. Since it was their anniversary, I wanted to make sure they got a king bed. The manager, Cari Kalapis, quickly got back to me and told me they would for sure get a king bed. Upon arrival, not only did they get a king bed, they were also wished a happy anniversary and were upgraded to a room with a ocean view. They told me the grounds were beautiful, which I knew since I do yoga at the park right across from the resort. They also enjoyed walking around the harbor, which is literally accross the street. I wanted to thank the staff at Laguna Cliffs Marriott for making my parents 40th anniversay a special event!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your 5 star review. We are delighted to hear that your parents celebrated their 40th anniversary with us. We are happy to hear that our staff was not only able to accommodate your request of a King Bed but that they exceeded your expectations by providing an upgraded room for your parents. It is always a pleasure to make our guest’s stay a memorable one and we are so happy to hear that we did just that for your parent’s anniversary. We hope you all visit us again soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Charming hotel. Short walk to harbor, nice restaurant/bar and outdoor seating area. The main downsides to this property are the parking ($32 a night!) and the resort fee ($25 plus tax). I know resort fees have become routine for hotel chains, but it seems to me if you are booking a hotel- that should be part of the nightly price. With those charges and taxes, we paid close to $100 more a night than our room price.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Harlyn1
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your compliments regarding our resort and the beautiful views of Vue Restaurant and OverVue Lounge. We appreciate your feedback regarding our parking and resort fees and will certainly take your comments under review. In recent parking and resort fee surveys we’ve conducted with our fellow resorts located on the coastline, we have found our parking and resort fee rates to be in line and are actually the most economical. We hope you visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I came to Laguna Cliffs resort for one night assured by my initial phone call that the high priced room I was paying for was "on the ocean" , and given that I had an important business presentation the next day, a good restful sleep was of course the most important requirement. But that was not to be. There is absolutely no soundproofing between rooms, so if someone dropped a quarter on the floor in the room above it registered below like a brick dropping on your head...kind of a drag after midnight when you realize that the quiet you expect in a posh Marriott hotel by the sea, is actually has paper thin walls so that you hear every single sound the people above and next to you are making...ear plugs didn't cut it. I might as well have been in bed with the people next door. Did not get ONE WINK OF SLEEP And neither will you if you stay at this hotel. Oh and don't look for any recompense ...in an email exchange with the snotty manager who runs the place, he offered me an upgrade on an ocean view room the next time I stay with them (hah, fat chance) and oh so sorry it was noisy, but basically the noise that kept me awake all night was my mistake not letting the front desk know...really? Are Laguna Cliffs hotel staff trained to install soundproofing between rooms? I wouldn't have thought so. This is shoddy business practice and with their mandatory valet parking fee of $27 and extra resort fee of $25, this place is a total rip off!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms if you cannot get any privacy because sound proofing is nonexistent
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank candace b
LCMRS, Manager at Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for your review. We understand that you spoke to someone who claimed your room was “on the ocean.” We have a highly trained and professional staff at the resort that will state the room types as partial ocean view or ocean view but not “on the ocean.” Nowhere is our resort description ever described as being on the ocean and our staff does not express this to our guests either. We have a very honest group of individuals working at Laguna Cliffs and we regret that you were misinformed by a third party. We do apologize for your restless night as we know how difficult and frustrating it can be to not sleep, especially if you are on vacation and expecting a good night’s rest. We truly care about your experience and we will be sure to address this issue with our team. We never want our guests to leave disappointed and we do have our “At your service” department available 24 hours a day to assist with any concerns you may have, including a room change if needed. We again apologize that you did not sleep well and we appreciate your review.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Everything about our experience here was incredibly pleasant, especially the staff. Kudos to Jason, the valet, for the warm welcome and Luis, the bellman, who was incredibly helpful. The hotel itself is lovely with two large pools, an adequately equipped gym, and a great location overlooking the Dana Point Harbor. It was easy to get out and walk to local cafes and shops. As we were there for a conference, I only wish we could have stayed longer. The room was nicely appointed, and we enjoyed sitting outside on the balcony. There was so much space in the room that I could do my yoga practice! The air conditioner was very quiet. Overall, it was incredibly pleasant!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. We hope that your conference was a success. We appreciate your compliments regarding our staff and resort. We will share your wonderful compliments with our team. We hope that the next time you are in Orange County, you will visit us again for a longer, leisure stay. Until then, take care and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This resort was a perfect family option. We stayed in a typical hotel room (although I believe they offer multi-bedroom options as well) overlooking the pool area. Our room (as well as the other's I believe) had a balcony that looked onto the pool as well as a nice sitting area with a small sofa that folded out and served as the perfect sleeping area for our three year old. The deck was a great place to hangout after our little guy fell asleep. The pool has a great area for kids including a kids pool and two spray areas that our son adored. There were lots of kids to play with, plenty of seating, bar/food service at the pool as well as a few lawn games available. We found it easy to access all the surrounding communities. Between the pool, nearby beaches and nearby towns there was plenty to do as well. The hotel was updated and nice, rooms were clean, service was wonderful. The only potential downside was that that pool seemed to stay open rather late (maybe it never closed even) and louder teenagers used it at night. I wish there had been a white noise machine in our room to block to the sound- otherwise I'd request a room that didn't face the pool next time.

Room Tip: The pool area can be loud well into the evening so if you're a light sleeper perhaps request a r...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your 5 star review. We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your family vacation with us. The resort is definitely family friendly and with the opening of our seasonal Kahuna Laguna Kid’s Club, children just don’t want to leave. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the various nearby outdoor attractions, including the park and marina. We do in fact have a 11:00pm curfew at our pools. They do close so we can assure our guests get a good night’s rest. We look forward in having you and your family visit us again when you are in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dana Point
#6 of 23 in Laguna Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#5 of 23 in Laguna Beach

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!