“Charming”

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 December 2008

We went to watch the Dana Point Harbor Christmas Boat parade and since the hotel is walking distance to the harbor, we decided to stay the night. We stayed in a pool view double which had a nice view of a park and the ocean. Everything was nice and clean. We had just stayed at a JW two weeks earlier and found that this Marriott was more of the JW quality - I'm sure the location contributed to this feeling. I loved that the location was convenient to walking to restaurants, the harbor area, parks, etc.

It was freezing so we didn't use the pool, but I thought it was kind of small for a beach area resort.

Service was excellent. Everyone we encountered had a smile and a greeting. Check out was at 11, but the front desk said not to worry about rushing. I thought that was nice.

We had the breakfast buffet at the Vue restaurant, and it was wonderful! I LOVE hotel breakfasts and this one was just excellent. The seafoood omelet was perfect with huge chunks of real crab and shrimp. I especially loved the assortment of fresh fruit and berries. The fresh-squeezed orange juice was also good. The view from the restaurant is beautiful as it overlooks the hotel's green landscape and the ocean is in the background. It was worth the $18.95 per person. My 5 year old was $8.95, but they didn't charge us for our 3 year old which was nice. Overall, a perfect breakfast.

I will definitely come back again - maybe in the summertime when we can enjoy the beach.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank jek134
Write a ReviewReviews (1,429)

Reviewed 15 December 2008

The Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa is a beautiful hotel located on a large hill, overlooking the beautiful beach and marina. The town of Laguna Beach is only a few moments away. The hotel offers a spacious and well-equipped gym, a full-service spa, delicious restaurant, 2 pools, and more.

The lobby coffee shop serves various coffees, teas, and baked goods. It is a great service for the many business travelers on the go. The Vue restaurant serves delicious fresh seafood in large portions. The sprawling lobby and classy piano bar offer relaxation and terrific views.

Most rooms offer large balconies for fews of the surrounding hills and/or beach. The bedrooms and bathrooms offer huge amounts of extra space and are quite clean.

From the front desk staff to the food servers, the hotel staff greets you with a smile, always ready to be of assistance.

I was extremely pleased with my stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank intlfoodtrvl
Reviewed 29 September 2008

First of all, if I read one more review complaining about parking prices at hotels I'll scream. This is just the way it is at nice hotels, especially in California. Heck, I paid $25 to park in downtown Columbus, Ohio.

Second, this hotel is gorgeous and, for the price, an amazing deal compared to what you have to pay at the Ritz or St. Regis. The grounds are just beautiful. You can walk to the beach, the park and the harbor, which has boat service to Catalina. The location is perfect.

We asked for a room with a view and balcony and they upgraded us free of charge, which was so nice. We had a nice view of the Pacific. The robes were also a nice surprise.

The service and tips on where to eat were great. We even received special treatment at one of the local restaurants because we were recommended from the Marriott.

The pool and workout room are top notch!

Also, while not everyone will have this experience, we had such a great time watching the wedding that took place from the upstairs bar. It was like we were invited!

If we are ever in the area again we'll be back!

5  Thank FunTravelCleveland
Reviewed 23 September 2008

Wow! I read most of these reviews after our stay, on purpose.

First, let me preface this was the fact that I am a Platnium Premeir with Marriott. It's a hand selected 2-3% of Marriott Platniums. The hotel is to be on 'high alert' when a Platnium Premier is in-house. This isn't meant to brag, it's meant to indicate that this may be the reason my experience was sooo different.

My recommendation to anyone visiting this hotel, or any other, is to do your research thoroughly.

First, in this area, you have your 5 Stars (St Regis, Montage, Ritz). Next you have the Marriott. Finally, you have the Doubletree and the rest of the gang. Let's set some expectations. The 5 Stars are all in excess of 500 a night. The St Regis and the Montage are definitely worth it. For those of you that said 'This isn't the Ritz" .... have you stayed at the Ritz nearby? While this may not be better, it's at least equal.

Parking. You are visiting/vacationing in one of the more expensive destinations in the country. Check the 5 Stars. They REQUIRE valet and at a hefty price per day, comparable to the Marriott. The Self Park and Valet are so close for a reason. If you can't afford to park here, you can't afford to stay here.

Ahkat, when you can figure out how to spell, someone may take your post seriously. Until then, go back to elementary school.

My experience? On Check In, I was upgraded the the Parlor Suite. I found all of the staff members to be extremely accomodating and helpful. Our room had a bottle of Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries that were not asked for.

5  Thank 250Nights
Reviewed 18 September 2008

This is a great hotel! We stayed for 2 nights in a lovely big room that was clean & well decorated. All of the staff were very friendly & helpful. I wish we had spent more than two nights here!

3  Thank IndyH
Reviewed 17 September 2008

My husband and I visited this property over Labor Day weekend and were very pleased with the rate we received for such a high travel period. So much so, that it made me a bit nervous about how the rooms would be. Actually, the rooms were quite nice - nothing fancy, but very clean with what appeared to be recently remodled decor and newer furnishings.

The common areas were definitely tired and tacky, although they did tell us upon check-in that the property would soon be undergoing an extensive remodel in the common areas. Hopefully that won't cause the prices to increase too much!

The fitness facility was very nice, with a great view over the cliffs out to the ocean and many various cardio machines to choose from, along with a few Nautaulis style machines.

They offered little extras to add some class, like fresh fruit in the gym and having a little coffee shop in the lobby that always looked busy (we didn't try it).

Parking is extremely limited, so you'll need to either use their on-site garage or valet. The valet service was generally good and they really tried to keep things moving.

The only thing I found annoying - and probably more so for the people getting married there than myself - was the fact that due to the layout, guests in certain parts of the hotel will have to walk through an area where they have the cocktail hour portion of on-site weddings to get to their rooms. Both nights we were there, we had to walk past wedding guests in our beach attire and flip flops. Once again, this didn't really bother me per se, but I did feel badly for the guests who had to stand there in their wedding attire and watch the beach crowd trapse by!

Overall, I would definitely stay at this property again and recommend it to others. While we didn't have our kids with us on this trip, the pool looked extremely kid friendly and I would certainly come back with our little ones. I am a big fan of Laguna Beach and it is only a short drive up the PCH to the main Laguna Beach and shopping area.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank VegasPisces
Reviewed 1 September 2008

Service problems with this Laguna Cliffs Marriot, had numerous bad service in Restaurants and pool area. Management does not act concerned that you have had a bad experience and did not follow up on a major problem with our room.

Younger kids with little experience are waiting on you most of the time. Valet however was very efficient and fast.

Hotel is old and needs to be updated, rooms are just ok. Windows were filthy and hard to see out of, despite the great views. If you are looking for that top Marroit service resort, this is not the place.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
#6 of 23 in Laguna Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#5 of 23 in Laguna Beach

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!