“Shortcomings”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Victoria
“Shortcomings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2010

Other reviewers have reported on the many positive aspects of this facility..I will only mention 2 irritants...the absurd mandatory parking (and fees) and the disruption to the smooth operation of a quality place caused by the ongoing construction. The entire operation fakes it and would have a guest believe that all is as it ever was at the hotel. Well when you're front desk, gym and primary bar and eating areas are all operating in temporary locations all with much reduced amenity it strikes a guest that the pricing is excessive for what is really being offered. Note the lovely bar/restaurant pix on their website...that's as close as you get to it at present.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

I am not a big tripadvisor participant, but i wanted to set the record straight based on all the comments reagarding construction.

This place is obviously a business oriented destination resort undergoing a huge renovation, therefore at least 2/3 of the place is closed. Guests stay in newly redone rooms.

I paid $159 per night including breakfast--this is a very good rate, however, the place is not worth a penny more.

Dana Point is a far less attractive site than further north to Laguna or the Beaches south.

All the service was excellent--the place was empty--it is very, very adequate accomidations if you get this at the right price.

You should not be put off by the construction if your concern is for accomidations, but this is not a destination spa location.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank avgold
Westerville, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

Upon our arrival at the resort, we were quite surprised to find the property a construction zone! This was not reflected upon booking or on the hotel's website. (It was also NOT reflected in terms of renumeration, either! NO discounts!) After expressing our concern and disatisfaction, management was very accomodating. The less than half of the resort that was open is remodeled and the rooms are fantastic! Plush bedding, upscale bathrooms and a desk in the room are nice. The rooms are not large, but average in size. There are patios/balconies on some levels. Many have views of the harbor/ocean. The outdoor areas which have been redone are really lovely. The restaurant has been tempoarily located in the spa in what was a large area for workout equipment. There is an attempt at a bar. It falls short! The workout room is extremely disappointing! VERY small with a few machines and free weights. Not the facility described on the website. They will give you access to a gym a few miles away. Not part of the plan, driving to workout at a resort???The parts of the spa I saw were underwhelming. I am hoping this is part of the reno as well! I found the staff to be very nice , knowledgeable and accomodating. They need to be if they do not let guests know in advance the state of the property! It will be wonderful when it is finished...We heard that enough while there! Do ride the Amtrak Surfliner down to San Diego. It runs along the beach a large part of the trip. No traffic, and fantastic sights! Catch it in San Juan Capistrano and ride it to downtown San Diego! Be sure to sit on the ocean side of the train for best views!
All in all, the resort is in a beautiful location on a cliff overlooking the harbor and the Pacific Ocean and is being remodeled to high standards!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank LSim
Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2009

I recently traveled to Dana Point with my husband who was on business. I loved this resort! It is undergoing construction, but that was hardly noticeable. The rooms were immaculately clean, the beds were incredibly comfortable and well appointed with the amenities we needed. The first day i did not have transportation, so I walked down to the harbor where there were nice little shops to get lost in for a couple of hours. There are also many restaurants down there as well, although we did not eat at any. The resort IS within walking distance to a beach. I wouldn't want to trek that far if I had small kids in tow, but it is walkable for adults. There's a nice little play area in a public park in front of the resort if you are traveling with children. The pool area is relaxing with plenty of seating and a hot tub, and amazing ocean views. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. I can't say enough good things about this resort, we had a very nice time, were treated well and loved our room. I do believe parking is by valet only.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2009

It is always so nice when you travel for business somewhere and the place ends up feeling like a retreat. This is a gorgeous hotel with great views of the Pacific Ocean. The rooms were luxurious: outstanding finishes, plush linens and towels, spacious, well-lit, clean. The products (lotion, conditioner, etc.) were high-end and excellent as well. The bed was outstanding -- it made it very difficult to get up and get to my meeting! I particularly appreciated the decor; it was high-end, but it had subtle, rather than in-your-face, elegance.

I found the staff to be incredibly nice and very service-oriented. The valet staff was quick and nice; I never waited more than a couple of minutes for my car (and when I called in advance, it was always ready by the time I got to the lobby). The check-in staff was wonderful. The staff in the restaurant was very attentive, which is often not the case with a breakfast buffet. I could barely take a sip of coffee before someone was offering to refill it! The breakfast buffet was great -- well-stocked, hot, good variety. I also ordered room service one night; it was fast, hot, and tasted great. I also appreciated that instead of just dropping off a tray, they actually wheeled a table into my room.

The hotel's lobby was closed for renovations, but the construction did not disturb my stay and the hotel did a nice job of making sure that there was still a welcoming space and fitness center.

The pool area is wonderful. I was able to swim at night despite the cool air because of the heated pool and great hot tub.

This is a great hotel with quality of service and accommodations that live up to its gorgeous setting. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2009

We stayed here for a combination business/pleasure trip for two nights, Nov. 18-19. While the hotel is beautiful (what you can see of it that wasn't roped off) and the rooms are well-appointed, the hotel is under a construction and remodeling project, which we found out by an email from the hotel only the day before! I understand it is the off season, but we still paid a steep hotel rate of $200/night. It felt, and appeared that guests were kind of an afterthought to all the construction happening at the hotel.

Only one pool was open, and the front desk and breakfast buffet was temporarily relocated to a smaller room that was formerly the spa/fitness area. We had great service in the dining room for breakfast (the omelets were awesome!). The valet guys went out of their way to recommend places to eat dinner and things to see in the area. Housekeeping knocked on our door a few times - one to check the mini bar in the afternoon (we didn't use it and they should have done this before our arrival), and another time around 8:15 am to see if we wanted service. I was sure glad I was already awake when they knocked, otherwise I might have been a little irritated to be awakened.

While my husband was at his business meeting, I read a book by the pool and went for a walk by the waterfront. In the fall/winter, they really need to heat the pool a little bit more - it was quite chilly. Hot tub was fabulous until a maintenance man came and dumped in liquid chlorine while I was using it. With a guest in it, he could have at least waited a few minutes!! Needless to say, that was a little strange and I exited immediately because the smell was ghastly. As I sunbathed in the glorious near 80-degree temps in one of the pool's unique, round cabanas, I noticed several times security officers strolling the grounds very near to me. While I felt safe, it would have been nicer if could have been more inobtrusive. Felt like I was an inmate with guards at times!!

The beach is a short walk down the hill, but it was too cold to swim so we just dipped our feet in the water. It was really overrun with birds hanging out on the beach, but we enjoyed walking around and looking at the sunset. If you are looking for a resort with direct beach access, this isn't the hotel for you.

The shops near the marina were interesting, with plenty of places to grab a quick lunch or dinner. Lots of people were walking their dogs along this area. It was neat to pet a few cuties. We had a great lunch at Harry's.

I had planned on getting a massage or spa treatment, but the prices were really high. For $100, I can get a massage, manicure, and a pedicure back home, which is what I did upopn my return from CA.

All in all, we had a pleasant experience, but if you are looking to stay at this hotel, at least wait until the remodeling is over. Until then, I would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank scoobymom
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2009

Spent 3 nights at this hotel in September and had a wonderful relaxing break. Staff were friendly and helpful, all facilities were clean and the buffet breakfast was good. This hotel was undergoing renovations during our visit but I didn't feel that it detracted from our stay. It has a business centre, small fitness room and spa facilities - all of which were fully functional. The pool and outside area are beautiful and the views out to sea are amazing. I highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!