“Pathetic Excuse for a Resort!!!!”

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, CA
“Pathetic Excuse for a Resort!!!!”
Reviewed 20 June 2006

I mean no disrespect to the individuals that have posted positive remarks on the reviews...however, I did not have a great time during my stay. I had sent a letter to the hotel expressing my disappointment with my stay and they offered me an upgrade for my next visit. They couldn't pay me to come stay there again! I respectfully wrote back and told the hotel manager that the least they could do was reimburse me for the time I spent there and the hotel manager never even acknowledged my last letter. I intend to write a letter to the head of the company I am so angry at the way I have been treated. I am happy to spend a bunch of money, but only if it is worth it. I had a better experience staying at the Courtyard by Marriott- I seriously mean that! I even sent a letter acknowledging the customer service I received with them. It was fantastic. But here I am paying ~$1200 to stay for two days ($1200 is the same as my rent for the month!) and had a horrible experience compared to the Courtyard where I was paying $160 for two days! The more people I share my story with, the more I hear the same experience that they had themselves. I would highly recommend considering a different hotel if you want to stay in this area or you will set yourself up for disappointment!

I am only giving the highlights of my stay at the Laguna Cliffs Resort and Spa here. There were many things that happened that would take pages for me to share my experience. There are many things they do not tell you up front- such as you have to pay $22 for parking (and valet costs the same) but there is not always parking available. On a side note here, the funny thing I noticed was there was a lot of junk stored in the garage taking up parking spaces. I had left to run to a local store and when I returned, there was absolutely no parking left. My effort to get assistance from the front desk as to where to park resulted in my being told to park on the street where it clearly says "No Hotel Parking". Also, be prepared to bring a ton of money to eat in their restaurant. We forked out $13 for 4 shrimp. One cocktail- $10. We called the concierge and asked for a restaurant recommendation for dinner- he gave us one but could not tell us what time it closed and the directions he gave us were wrong- we never found the place after driving around for over half an hour. Be warned too if you call the front desk for help, you will be bounced around from department to department. Another thing that amazed me was that they charge for internet access. I travel a lot for work- in my $80 a night Courtyard by Marriott room I have free internet access and free parking- at this location you have to pay $10/day and they don't tell you that it starts at noon and ends at noon. So my fiance went to use the internet and only got 3 hours of use before it was shut off and then they charged us twice for it. Oh and then there is a lovely Sunday champagne brunch- absolutely fantastic- wonderful selection and wide variety and you can eat outside and see the ocean-what you don't know is that it cost 45/person. No one mentions that, there is no sign, no menu, no nothing. That was a unexpected surprise when we received the bill.

I do have a couple of positive things to say about the location though- the spa is outstanding. You totally get what you pay for. The service is exemplary! Also, the exercise room is fantastic. Wide variety of well maintained equipment.

I submitted a three page letter to Marriott regarding an extensive number of issues we had while we stayed at the resort (I barely touched on them here) and I never received any response from the Property Manager until after a month had passed. His response was to offer me an upgrade. Who would want to go back to a place that was such a source of stress and frustration. In talking to others, they shared similar experiences. It's unfortunate but my experience has made me want to spend my hard earned money elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2006
13 Thank ulualoha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 15 June 2006

We have stayed at Marriott's worldwide. This hotel is terrible from its construction to its personnel.
The hotel has a fantastic location. Outside it is beautifully designed. The grounds are gorgeous.

Now the many downsides:
We paid extra for an "ocean view" room. This meant we could look out of the corner of one window to see the ocean. The room door to the hall was so thin that every word of anyone passing could be clearly heard. Whenever another person's room door closed, the wall shook.

At 2 A.M., we were awaked by an employee two-way radios blaring in the hall.

There was NO information that the hotel was "dog friendly." After the dog next door barked for TWO HOURS, we called to get it stopped. This was when we found out about their dog policy. NOTE: since our stay, the hotel now does not allow dogs. YEA!!

We ate in all of their restaurants. We consistently found the servers NOT attentive and indifferent. At best the food was adequate.

We wrote a letter to the general manager. His reply was "sorry about the employee radios in the hall." He gave us a one night stay with many restrctions. We thew his letter away.

What a lousy place to stay.

• Stayed June 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago
Reviewed 7 April 2006

We stayed at this hotel on March 26 for one night. We were extremely impressed from the minute we drove up their driveway. Valet's were friendly, quick and helpful. But, parking is right in their garage which is right in front of you a short walk away. So, that is the ridiculous part. Our room was beautiful, yellow and blue's, very clean. But, we did have to call security at 12:00 midnight because our young, male neighbors were VERY LOUD, and talking much too inappropriate, IN DETAIL, and if I had young children I would have really been upset. Security came just as I was ticked off enough and knocked on their door myself and asked them to be quiet. THEY LUCKILY did! I sent them a nice note the next morning thanking them for their cooperation.

The property is up a REALLY high hill if you walk up it. We only had time to walk down the hill and across the street to Doheny Beach (sp?). But, the walk back up was a killer! But doable.

The lobby was beautiful with complimentary cold drinks. We ate burger in the bar and they were good, but DON'T GET THE CHIX CAESAR salad because it is presented on top of 4 large lettuce leaves, very wierd.

The elevator and hallways seemed dated though, including the doors...but the room was very clean, new and nice. BEDS WERE WONDERFULLY COMFORTABLE with all white linen and duvet over cushy comforter. I normally bring my own sheets, but this time I threw caution to the wind.....and slept on their sheets! They were very clean and great!

I would stay here again!

10 Thank RKNLOVESCOFFEE
Reviewed 28 March 2006

We live in L.A., so this was a quick weekend getaway for 2 normally harried parents. Kids stayed home. But it would be a good family hotel too. Staff was young, friendly, and helpful. Total "California Beach Boys and Gals"...adorable. Spring for the 22.00/day to have them valet your car while you're there. You CAN self park, but why? Grounds are beautiful. Rooms clean, fresh and nice big bathrooms. Hotel is on a beautiful bluff across the street from the ocean. We used Marriot point credits and chose the least expensive King room, it did not have an ocean view, but a view of the spa below and hills. Next time I would spring the xtra bucks for a better view. A bit noisy at nightime, there was a wedding, and the walls ARE a little thin. But with the TV on it didn't bother us much. The pool is lovely, even a room overlooking that would be OK. The jacuzzi was nice and hot and pool heated. Plenty of towels there, too. We had breakfast in hotel's restaurant the first morning there, but not too impressed. Take a nice walk to town or across the street to the Dana Point harbor, there are shops and restaurants(a short walk down, a bit of a workout up the hill back, but invigorating). We went kayaking (rentals across the street in the harbor), walked along the beach, lounged by the pool, and then got ready for a big night out went to dinner at The Studio at the Montage St. Regis in Laguna. Gorgeous! (If you eat there, be prepared to spend $300-400 for two with only the "reasonable" priced wine, though). Another good and lovely place we ate at was Salt Creek Grille, up PCH, very close drive and good atmosphere, live jazz and good steaks and drinks. Much more reasonable, too! Don't expect too many bargains, its the O.C. after all. Spent the day Sunday in their Spa, which was nice. Couples massage and a really good derma-facial from Seemi. Skip buying their products and you may be able to get out under $200.00 for a mini-facial and massage. You then get to spend all day in the Spa using the facilities. The only complaint I would have is the room where they did the couples massage is very bright and was not warm enough, for me. The blanket they used was kinda rough and pilly... when I've had massage before, the linens were warmed up and much softer. I'm more used to the smaller, dimmer, candle-lit aroma-therapy type rooms. But the massage itself was great. I would recommend this hotel for an active and fit couple who likes to walk and enjoy the outdoors. Its a great jump-off place to visit other more exclusive resorts, like the Ritz or St. Regis, have drinks and or dinner at those places, and save the bucks on the room! That's what we did... splurged on dinner, shopping and treatments instead and it worked for me! Can't wait to do it again.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boulder
Reviewed 25 March 2006

Pleasant hotel in great location. Room was clean, comfortable and bright, and we enjoyed our two night stay. The only disappointment was the unexpected additional parking fee of $22 per night that we felt was completely inappropriate.

7 Thank Colorado_B2013
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 17 March 2006

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights; loved it and the area. The hotel looks down on a beautiful coastline and you can walk almost anywhere you want to go, (if you are in reasonably good shape.) We saw dophins, a seal and a whale from the beach. The rooms are not huge but the staff was great and the Spa services were awesome. They have two pools which were fine. If you are looking for an economy vacation, this hotel is not for you. They charge $22/day parking and the food is predictably semi-overpriced. The breakfast buffet is extensive and very good; we had dinner one night which was above average. I understand some of the other reviewer's frustrations with the property, but it is not 5 star which is where everything should be perfect.Stay away from El Torita down at the harbor unless you are into cold,very average food and enjoy being surrounded by people drinking heavily. RJ's is a cute breakfast and lunch place. We ate at Tommie's in San Clemente which is an adorable 50's diner with great food. Their chocolate cake is divine. We would absolutely stay here again.

10 Thank Chaz2
Reviewed 13 March 2006

Spent 4 nights here last week. Loved just about everything about this hotel, except the $22/day parking charge.
Service was great, bed was very comfortable. Loved being able to see the ocean from my bed.
Did not eat at the restaurants, didn't seem to be anything special. Did order breakfast from room service and it was hot and delicious. Especially like when they deliver it with a little table on wheels rather than leaving a tray. That way you can eat like normal rather than having to eat on your lap or at the desk.
A nice climb down (and then back up!) about 100 stairs to the Dana Point harbor and several restaurant.
Jaccuzzi was quite hot, but very clean and towels were plentiful.
We did have someone in the room next door on a very loud business call every morning at 5:00 a.m., asked the desk supervisor if they could offer him a conference room to make the call. They said they would see if they could come up with a solution. We never heard from her again and the calls continued the next two days. Oh well, can't have everything.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!