“Fantastic Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed 4 December 2006

Had a wonderful room on the third floor with a full view of the ocean. The balcony was a nice feature and we spent a couple hours drinking wine and watching the sunset/ocean. The bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed that I have ever slept in and would probably try to buy the same type next time mine needs replacing. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. I thought the $22 for parking was a bit steep and felt I got gouged there. There is a beautiful park bordering the property with a nice path down to the marina. Good jogging path as well. Lots of birds fluttering about in the trees and plants near our room. I will stay here again!

• Liked — The view/ the room/ the bed
  • Disliked — High price of parking
  • Tips/Secrets — Got a Military rate room
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank adb1158

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
NJ
Reviewed 1 December 2006

This was the best place to stay for my family - clean rooms, friendly staff and centrally located to everything in OC. Very easy to get to from the highway - but not ON the highway... in a nice residential area. My Daughter was psyched that there was a McDonalds around the corner as well as a playground steps away from the hotel. Extra bonus - we were able to check in early & got a beautiful ocean view room (at no additional charge!!).

We used this as our home base as we went out & did various local beaches and attractions. We selected on the recommendation of a friend and were so glad we did.

One word of caution - don't plan on actually swimming at local beaches (high bacteria count). Also - this hotel has a huge banquet facility which seems to be in constant use for weddings, seminars, etc.. Use the valet parking (same charge as self park, and oh so much easier).

Would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Kid friendly pools
  • Tips/Secrets — DON'T pay published rates - hunt around for a deal
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2006

I went to the hotel website and filled out an extensive questionnaire about a series (10-12) of events in 2007 I wanted to hold at the location. I waited a week, with no response. I called and asked for the Sales Department. Voice Mail. Left a message. Two days later the Sales Manager called me. She had no knowledge of the questionnaire. I went over it all again. She said would assign the event to one of the sales coordinators. Two more days. Got a call, went though it a third time, and asked for a meeting planing package to be mailed. Four days later I received it. No business card enclosed. Called again for the Salesd Manager. Voice Mail. Asked the operator gor a live person in Sales. Got one. No knowledge of my project or who might be in charge. Promised me "One of our two Catering Managers will call you today ." That was a over a week ago. This morning I called the office of the General Manager. Voice Mail.
Question: How many little signs do I need?
The Sales Prevention Department carries out another successful mission.

Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
5 Thank rogets
Elmley Castle, England
Reviewed 21 September 2006

Stayed for 5 nights in pool view room. It is simply the noisiest Hotel I have experienced. The rooms have individual airconditioners which are extremely noisy. Even when mine was off you could hear the others coming on and off. As mentioned by others at the weekends there are two weddings a day and every room is affected by noise and the parties afterwards. If you take a room at the back of the hotels to avoid this, you end up with the noise of Pacific Coast Highway 1. To top all this from around 5 am they start to set up for breakfast meetings by the pool. The noise of the staff talking, trolleys going back and forth and falling cutlery means you dont need to set an alarm clock.
On the positive side the beds were comfortable, even without sleep, the staff were friendly and the food was very good.

• Liked — Views, Food
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont stay there unless you are deaf
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tomtom333
Fresno, CA
Reviewed 12 September 2006

I stayed at the resort the weekend of September 8-10. What a gorgeous property! From the moment I arrived, the service was impeccable. It's the same rate for parking to park yourself or valet, so you may as well valet. A little steep at $22 a day though...There were three different weddings going on, but all in seperate locations around the hotel. From what I saw, the ceremonies or receptions were no where close to each other, giving all parties a nice amount of space. The room was perfect, with a balcony that overlooked the pool and the harbor. The bed was quite possibly the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Breakfast the next morning was on the patio, where you had a great view of the harbor and the beach. I would stay here again in a heartbeat, and highly recommend it.

• Liked — The views from every part of the hotel!
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Enjoy the pool...there are two if one is too crowded.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
2 Thank prezkm1
United States
Reviewed 24 July 2006

Our family of 5 stayed at this hotel from July 14-19. I was nervous to stay here after reading many negative reviews but we had an excellent trip

The hotel is not directly on the beach but the view is beautiful! We had a short walk down to the state park beach - note that the water is very rocky! Our kids enjoyed the beach - we borrowed sand toys from the hotel

There is a great little shopping/dining area in the dana Point harbor - reached by a short walk and 118 stairs (the kids counted them). We walked around there and had dinner several nights

The staff was great from the valets, bellman and front desk staff. The staff at the pool bars were great also - always bringing around ice water, fresh fruit.

There were several weddings there the weekend we were there. I'm sure many people found them disruptive (especially if the big white tent obstructed their ocean view). My daughter and I enjoyed seeing the brides and one evening we ordered desserts on the outdoor deck and listened to a band playing at one of the weddings

We did not have an ocean vew but had a great room overlooking the city with a very private balcony. The noise level was fine - a little loud at times in the evening but overall no problems

We had a great time here and would highly recommend this hotel

• Liked — The staff was excellent - very friendly
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — spend time by the pool - the service and drinks are great
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank AKD
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 3 July 2006

My husband and I just returned from a 2-night stay (June 30-July2). We have stayed here 4-5 times since 1992. I reserved a room with a king bed with a balcony, at $220 a night. They gave us a room with an ocean view. At check-in, everyone was very friendly and helpful. After reading past reviews, I asked if there would be a wedding while we were there so we could have a room far away from the noise. They assured us there was no wedding scheduled. A few hours later, a letter was delivered to our room that a wedding was planned for Sunday (the day we were leaving) and a tent would be set up Saturday which would block the ocean view. The tent entirely blocks the ocean view so if you pay for an ocean view, ask about the tent at check-in. They can give you a room on the other side with an ocean view. We left before the wedding, but I can imagine it would have been very noisy. Our room was a good size with new linens. The bed was very comfortable. We walked around the pool areas which looked nice and well maintained. This is a hotel where families with children come. If you do not want to hear children in the hallway or at the pool, this is not the hotel for you. There is a nice public park with restrooms right outside the hotel. The hotel (and park) is perched on top of a hill overlooking the Doheny State Beach. It's just beautiful.

The parking is $22 a day for valet or self park. We chose to self-park because the parking structure is very close to the hotel. We walked to our car before valet service could have brought our car to us! It's an added expense, but most hotels charge for parking and it's really no big deal. If you are elderly or have health problems, chose the valet, otherwise self park is fast and easy.

We didn't eat at the hotel or call for room service. We ate at the Harbor Grill Restaurant (down in the harbor by El Torito) 3 times over the weekend. They have delicious seafood and steak. It's pricey, but very good with excellent service. Call for reservations or you will have a hard time getting in. We tried to get into The Charthouse (at the end of the harbor), but the wait was 2 hours without reservations. The food/water bottles in the room are very pricey--$4.25 for a bottle of water. We drove up Golden Latern (about 5 miles) and found a Ralphs, Longs Drugs, theatres, and Trader Joes. There are fast food restaurants too if you want to grab something quick. Pick up snacks and drinks at Trader Joes and bring them back to the room.

I wanted a pedicure/manicure when we arrived but it was too late to get an appt at the Spa. I found a wonderful, basic nail salon up the street called Aloha Nails. They are on Del Prado in the Ralphs/Rite Aid plaza. It is literally 5 minutes away. They are excellent and cheap. On Saturday evening, we went to the Spa for a couples massage. When I made the reservation, they suggested coming early evening when the Spa is quiet. It was really wonderful. The massage therapists did a great job! I then went and had their 80-minute Sea the Difference facial. It was heavenly. Next time I would have a massage and then a 50 minute facial because you don't need the extra foot/hand treatment after a massage. My only complaint about the Spa was how dirty the bathroom was AFTER my facial. I was the last person in the Spa and no one had cleaned up the bathroom. It was BAD. I will be calling the Spa Director to complain. I complained at check-out and was told that no one cleans at that time of night (7:30pm). Well, don't book people who will use your facilitiy then! It annoyed me because we had spent over $400 for services and I couldn't find a clean shower! I would go back to the Spa because the girls were wonderful and as nice as can be.

On the complaint side, my husband did feel like they charge you for everything. He was really annoyed that there was no free-internet service. He just stayed at a Days Inn in DC which boasts free internet service. Here they charge an additional $10 a day for internet connection. Silly. They offer bike rentals and beach equipment rentals all at additional fees. Check those fees out before you come.

All in all we had a wonderful, relaxing weekend. The location is what is special about this hotel. You really feel like you are far away from the city. We would stay here again, but I wouldn't pay more than $220 a night. I would rather upgrade to the St. Regis.

• Stayed June 2006
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Doheny Beach - Dana Point
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!