“This resort is a secret gem!”

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Dana Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
Topanga, California
“This resort is a secret gem!”
Reviewed 16 June 2010

My family and I really enjoyed our stay here. Everything about the resort is well done - the views of the ocean are lovely, the service is flawless, the food was very good and presented beautifully, pools are fun, the rooms are spacious, and the overall ambiance is relaxing and luxurious. My 3 year old son loved the shallow pool and playful water features. I enjoyed the pool side service with good drinks and food. My wife said her spa experience was perfectly relaxing. I also really enjoyed sitting outside to enjoy the breakfast buffet. During our vacation we took a short drive up to Laguna Beach for the day and on another day went down to Dana Point Harbor for dinner. The hotel is right off PCH just one minute off I-5. It's a good location that is roughly midway between LA and San Diego. My sister came down from North Hollywood to visit us for the day and she also enjoyed her time at the resort. I wasn't sure what to expect in a Marriott resort, but this place is very unique, very beautiful, and far better than the typical Marriott property.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 10 June 2010

I have stayed at Laguna Cliffs Marriott several times for both business and pleasure, and each time the visit has been great! The service is awesome, the staff extra friendly, the rooms (and beds) perfect, and it has a great view of the ocean. This is one of my favorite places to stay on the west coast. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 4 June 2010

This hotel is a delightful hotel. Very comfortable and the refurbishment is very tastefully done indeed.
Although we didn't have a balcolny most of rooms in the hotel have beautiful balcolnies which we were told go very fast indeed. However, our room was lovely and the bed oh so comfy. We had a view of the ocean from our room along with the road that ran past the hotel.
It was quite strange when we drew up to check in as my husband had to ask if it was a Marriott for fear we had the wrong place. There are no Marriott signs as it retains its original name which was the Laguna Cliffs Resort and Spa and the valets, porters, concierge and people who check you in don't wear any Marriott badges - in fact there is nothing Marriott to be seen apart from a small book in your bedside drawer with the history of the Marriott. This will in time change I am sure as Marriott have only been managing it for about a year and most of that time has been put to completely refurbishing which, as I have said, is wonderful.
There is a lovely balcolny where you can have cocktails, tapas food and coffee and muffins in the morning if you don't want to go to the restaurant for a full blown breakfast. We had quite a few cocktails each day which were delicious and the views from the balcolnies are outstanding.
I cannot fault the hotel at all it is quite simply beautiful. Well run and you are treated very well indeed. Anybody going this year will enjoy the hotel I'm sure.
It has a luxurious pool area with padded chairs and a bar where chefs also prepare anything you want. The place is quite heavenly.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Ashburn, VA
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Overall, a really nice hotel, friendly staff, incredible views. I expected though to be able to walk to the shops and restaurants, but you have to either walk down a steep flight of 119 steps or walk down the steep driveway which was even worse. Not good for someone with bad knees so I drove down. Not a big deal though as there's lots to see in the neighboring towns as well. Also, there's very little to choose from in the restaurant which was a bit disappointing. As a treat to myself, I splurged and did the Invigorating Ritual ( mud wrap/massage) at the spa which was wonderful! I would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2010

My husband and I, in our 60's, stayed at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort and Spa for 3 nights to celebrate my birthday. Yes, they charge $27 a day for parking but it is worth it for staying here. The view is beautiful, overlooking the harbor and the ocean. Most rooms have a balcony, ours didn't. I used the exercise room one day but the walking around the beautiful park overlooking the ocean is great and I did this the second day. This hotel is only 15 minutes from Laguna Beach so we ate our dinners in Laguna but I'm sure there are good restaurants in Dana Point too. One night we ate at the bar at the hotel, not much of a choice but beautiful view. The room was lovely and clean. When the concierge, Lu, found out it was my birthday, she sent up chocolate covered strawberries and champagne to our room. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Delhi
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Great ambience and location. the only thing which pinched was that everything was paid so not a cheap place to be in. Excellent staff and I had great time in bar.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 30 April 2010

On a birthday trip for my wife's birthday, we stayed at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott. The hotel is nice and seems to be recently renovated. We received a pleasant surprise from the hotel when we were brought champagne and strawberries. I wasn't expecting that and it was well received, especially after a long flight from the east coast.

Breakfast at the hotel was delicious and better if you order from the menu as there are more options.

The property is beautiful as it overlooks a cliff, hence the name, and seems to be a popular event destination. It's minutes away from the shops at Laguna Beach and a nice 20-25 minute drive to Newport Beach.

Great stay and definitely recommended if you're considering a nice hotel in the area!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!